“3.5 Stars”

Ranked #633 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“3.5 Stars”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed at the Holiday Inn for work and would like to say this was more of a 3.5 star stay than a 3.

We enjoyed our stay on business as it was well located to the University and had gym and pool facilities which is why we chose the hotel. The staff were very welcoming and polite and we ate a nice meal in the restaurant, however I will say this was quite pricey. Additionally the breakfast at £15pp was also very pricey for what you receive. I also paid additionally for internet which also expensive, especially considering this was quite a intermittent connection and it was difficult to set up (didn't accept my passcode until the third time and kept disconnecting/loosing signal).

I did enjoy my stay here and it was good service, however I would say you can receive similar standards at a Premier Inn for less money if you don't mind not having a gymnasium...however I would possibly stay again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Karena-macarena
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest

We appreciate your taking the time to review the Holiday Inn London-Elstree following your recent stay with us whilst working in the area.

I am grateful for all of the constructive feedback that you have provided and will ensure that this is shared wih the hotel team as appropriate.

When you are staying again in the future, we do have a better option for purchasing breakfast. You may buy a voucher for £10 per person the evening before, offering a significant saving on the 'on the door' price of £14.95. We also offer dinner inclusive rates on most evenings which can offer better value if you are wishing to dine.

From July 2013 all of our IHG Rewards Club members who are statused at Gold Membership or above will be entitled to complimentary WiFi (whether resident in the hotel or not) and this will be available to all members in 2014. So it's well worth enrolling (if you haven't already) as you also receive other benefits as well such as Complimentary Newspapers and Late Check Out options.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future. In the meantime if there is anything else that I may help you with then please do not hesitate to let me know.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Polish first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The rooms are quite nicely furnished, as is the rest of the hotel. Unfortunately the phone in my room did not work when i arrived, nor did my ethernet port much to my disappointment (never come across one in a room before though!) The staff seemed a little disinterested in me but for the most part are pleasant enough. Overall a pretty average place really, could be worse!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dixonl90
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing a review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the Trip Advisor website following your recent stay.

I am sorry that the phone did not work in your room when you arrived. Hopefully when this was reported to the Guest Realtions Manager they were able to get this rectified for you. I will investigate the ethernet point operation, most people use the WiFi now so the factthat the port was not working may have been inadvertantly overlooked.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future if you are next visitingthe area. In this case if you contact me directly I will deal with your reservation personally.

In the meantime if I can be of further assistance then please do not hesitate to let me know.

Bradford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. There is not one thing i can say negative about this place. Every staff member was so helpful and cheerful. The rooms were outstanding. So looking forward to staying again. The food was delicious. Thank you to all staff.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank cawheeler490
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the Trip Advisor website.

I am, of course, delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I will ensure that all of your comments are shared with the hotel team. They work very hard to ensure every guest has a relaxing and enjoyable experience whilst staying with us and it is nice when they are informed so publically that they are doing a good job!

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon. In the meantime if there is any further way that we may be of assistance then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Manchester
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

It's several years since I stayed at this hotel, in the days when the Holiday Inn stood for quality. Sadly this large, previously very good hotel is now in need of serious refurbishment. Having paid for an Executive Room, there were no slippers, dressing gowns nor drinks in the empty minibar and a faulty heater that could not be turned off resulted in an unpleasant, sleepless night. The management did apologise and refunded our bill. I felt sorry for them. Perhaps they will use this review to put pressure on their Head Office to restore this hotel to its former glory.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrChipsManchester
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Guest
I have noted your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the Trip Advisor website following your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you reported the issues that you experienced to the Guest Relations Manager at the time and together you were able to find a satisfactory resolution.

I am sorry that there were no robes or slippers in your room on arrival and I believe that you have discussed this with the hotel team at the time. The radiator had developed a faulty valve which we were not aware of until it was reported by yourself and this was fixed at the first available opportunity. Our mini bars are filled at guest request at the weekends, we do this because a high percentage of guests have stated a preference to use the fridge facility (especially in the warmer weather) for their own water and snacks. There is a card displayed in the fridge itself informing guests of the opportunity to have this filled upon request.

We aim to give all guests an enjoyable stay and I regret that we were unable to do so on the occasion of your recent visit. Whilst we are not a super modern property we do strive that rooms should be clean and well maintained and the majority of feedback we receive does seem to agree with this. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to make a better impresion upon you and stay again when you are next in the area, if you contact me directly I will deal with any booking personally.

UK
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed here over the bank holiday weekend ..no complaints and withthe offer rate an excellent bargain.

Very simply ..no hesitation in reccommending this hotel.

Friendly check in and very helpful staff..we needed a fridge for dietary requirements and rthiswas provided free of charge and within 10 minutes of our request.

you do need transport however as the hotel is a little far away from public transport...buses are ok though to underground etc.

Room Tip: All rooms are ok
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us over the Bank Holiday weekend and appreciate you sharing your feedback on the Trip Advisor website.

I will be sharing your comments with the hotel team. They work hard to ensure that each guest has an enjoyable experience and I am glad that we achieved this for you.

Buses to Elstree & Borehamwood station are indeed good as you have stated. However, if you are visiting us again you may find a taxi (at about £3.50) per journey is cheaper than bus fayres depending on how many are travelling. Reception can organise these for you upon request or there is a taxi rank next to the station and a cab office opposite for your return journey..

We hope to be able to welcome you back again when you are next visiting the area. In the meantime if there is anything else we can do to help then please just let us know.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed here recently and whilst overall the experience was okay I was disappointed. On the plus side I ordered food and it was well presented and very good. However, the main reason for booking was for the pool but this was much smaller than it had looked in the hotel pictures and was dated and the grouting was dirty looking which spoilt the enjoyment of swimming there. Also the rooms had old fashioned chunky furniture in them and the heating/air conditioning did now work. Also the bed was not very comfortable.

If the problems listed could be put right I would say that this hotel would gain much higher ratings.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DarcieRose
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn London-Elstree.

We welcome feedback from our guests and use it as an opportunity to gather their opinion so that we can always continually improve what we offer in terms of product and service to all of our guests. Whilst this is not an ultra modern property we do aim to keep everything clean and well maintained in our bedrooms and public areas. I will inspect the leisure club personally following your comments and ensure any necessary improvements are made as appropriate.

Should you have any concerns when staying at any of our hotels in future there is always a guest relations manager on duty who will be pleased to discuss things with you before they impact negatively on your experience.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedbcak with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the future. In the meantime if there is any other way that I may be of assistance to you then please do not hesitate to contact me through the hotel switchboard.

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is well situated with good access to all north London areas. Good facilities for meetings and conference. Only real issue with the hotel is the breakfast. Why do the use a scrambled egg that is powder based. This is a let down to the quality of the other food.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn London-Elstree.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable experience and we hope to be able to welcome you back again very soon.

To ensure consistency and complete food safety on our breakfast buffet we use a premium pastuerised liquid egg product (not powdered). We do find that the quality of this lends itself much better to our buffet style service and I am sorry that you do not agree. However, the breakfast chef would be pleased to prepared fresh eggs to order on request.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Best Western Palm Hotel
#552 of 1,069 in London
Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs
Britannia International Hotel
Clayton Crown Hotel
#411 of 1,069 in London

Been to Holiday Inn London - Elstree? Share your experiences!