“No change really. Tired hotel, poor breakfast”

Holiday Inn London - Elstree
Ranked #620 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Rugeley, United Kingdom
“No change really. Tired hotel, poor breakfast”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed again last night with work who insist on booking this hotel for us when we are in London. The room I was given (158) was tired and in need of renovation. The breakfast this morning was poor. I waited 20 minutes for fresh eggs and somehow, they had managed to overcook them. Congratulations to the hotel on getting the Xmas decorations up early for next year as Im sure the trees and lights up aren't from Xmas just gone? Mr Francis, please don't advise me to contact Shea. I did it before and there is simply no change.Same tired rooms, same poor breakfasts. Hopefully, can convince work this time to stop booking this dated, tired hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager065, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest
I have noted your further review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree following your recent stay with us.

I do apologise that you experienced issues with your accommodation and a delay whilst you waited for fresh eggs to be cooked in the morning. I have presonally inspected the room that you occupied and have found it to be clean and everything operational and no maintenance issues.

I am sorry that you did not feel able to discuss your thoughts with either myself or the guest relations manager on duty before you departed, as I thought we had opened a direct channel of communication in the past. We will always listen to any feedback provided by our guests and try to resolve anything wherever possible before they depart the hotel.

We do sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to make a better impression on you in the future. In the meantime if there is any way I may be of assistance please do not hesitate to contact me via the hotel switchboard on 0208 214 9988 or via email.

Shae Walmsley
Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is a hotel that i use for business on a regular basis. We usually hold at least 1conference a year here and the conference team are very good and know our requirements as they have been their sometime. The food in the restraurant is ok the only downside on this visit was the waiting staff at breakfast who didn't understand English very well I asked for a Danish to be warmed and it had been heated in a microwave which of cause made it soggy and inedible. The bedrooms are a little tired and could do with a refurbishment. The hotel is in a very convenient location with easy access to the A1, motorways and central London.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your constructive review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree following your recent stay.

It was very interesting to read your comments and I will be sharing these and discussing them with the hotel team. The conference team will be delighted that you have been so positive about the service they provide.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast due to the issue with the pastry, as our breakfast team have English as a first language or a high level of fluency I cannot think who it was that you had spoken to. If possible when you are next staying with us could you let us know who was the person in the restaurant you had difficulty communicating with, not in any way for them to be in trouble but in order that we can provide them with any necessary support to ensure this type of situation does not reoccur.

In the meantime, we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next visiting the area. If there is any other way we can be of assistance then do not hesitate to let us know.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,117 helpful votes
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have stayed here before on a number of occasions and to be honest it is a tidy hotel. This time though things were not upto scratch. Whatever you do please do not stay in rooms 163/165. There is a boiler at that side of the building and trust me you will be walking the floorboards as you will get no sleep. The management are aware of this problem but still give the rooms to paying customers.
The staff are friendly but breakfast is so over cooked if you go down at 9.30 !!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank RobsterWirral
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn London-Elstree.
I am sorry that you felt let down this time and your stay did not match when you have stayed with us previously. In future, if you have a particular room preference or prefer to be or not to be in a particular part of the hotel it would be helpful if you mention this upon booking and maybe at check in stage so that reception can do all in their power to allocate you a room that suits you better. The room numbers you mentioned are at the far end of the hotel which is nearby to some plant equipment and admittedly some guests do feel disturbed by this, however, we do have guests who prefer these rooms as they are in a very private part of the hotel on a corridor which has little traffic.
I have passed your comments regarding the breakfast onto the Head Chef so he can monitor and ensure the quality of the breakfast is consistent from start to finish. Please do not hesitate to speak to the Breakfast Supervisor if you feel that there are any quality issues with the buffet so that they can be rectified before it spoils your enjoyment of the most important meal of the day.
When you are next planning to visit the area, would it be possible for you to contact Shae Walmsley the hotel'sResident Manager via the main switchboard on 0208 214 9988 and he will deal with your reservation personally.
In the meantime, if there is any other way that either myself or Shae can be of assistance then do not hesitate to let us know.
Kind regards
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We had a very good stay here, check-in and restaurant staff very friendly. Great rooms, and a swimming pool (ideal if you have kids that need wearing out!).

Evening meals pricey, and not great to be honest (woman next to us sent her fish and chips away as the fish was soggy), but excellent breakfast selection.

Would recommend and stay again.

Stayed November 2012
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the Trip Advisor website. We always appreciate when a guest provides us with constructive feedback and always share this with the hotel team and use it to help us find ways of imrpoving the service we offer to all.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and delighted to read that you would reccommend the hotel to others. Our team members work very hard to ensure that every guest feels welcome and has the opportunity to relax whilst staying with us and it will be rewarding for them to hear that they are getting things right. I am sorry that you found the price of food in the restaurant and lounge to be expensive, but glad that you had an enjoyable breakfast.

We do look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. In the meantime if there is any way we can be of assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the last couple of years when working in the area. I find some of the more negative reviews on here to be different from what I have experienced so I will try and address some of the points raised by other reviewers.

Check-in & check-out - Not had any real issues here. Most of the time things are very smooth. I have had the odd wait of a few minutes when checking out but nothing major. Over the last few months there has been quite a turnover in reception staff, and manager, so I can only assume the issues seen by other people were with the new staff as they were "learning". All current staff are now very efficient

Rooms - I have stayed in a variety of rooms here from basic to suites. I admit that some of the rooms are now begining to show some wear, such as curtain tie-backs missing or toilet roll holders being loose. Probably the best thing to do is report these to reception. Whenever I've reported something in the morning it's been fixed by the time I return in the evening. Also some of the rooms can be noisy as the hotel is located next to the A1. I've nearly always managed to get a change of rooms when I've requested one so have a word with reception if you're not happy. It looks like the much awaited replacement of old style TVs is now underway as when I returned to the hotel yesterday evening there was a brand new flat screen Samsung in the room.

Staff - In general I find all the staff to be good but that could be because I speak to them on a regular basis. I find that smiling at people and saying "good morning" etc works wonders. If you appear unapproachable it's unlikely that staff will engage in conversation with you. I noticed that a few members of staff have been highlighted in previous reviews and agree with the postive comments regarding Tareq, Rita, Shirley etc.I saw one review where Wendy had been mentioned as she was complaining but this is not my experience, I've always found her helpful and friendly. However this did relate to her working on the bar, which brings me on to my next point .....

Bar - This is an area where the hotel could improve. Normally there is only one person on the bar in the evenings. However this person is also responsible for delivering bar meals and it seems that they spend quite a bit of time in and out of the kitchen. This leads to the bar being unattended at times with people waiting up to 10 minutes for a drink. I witnessed a certain "TV star" trying to get service at the bar the other night, after around 5 minutes of pacing up and down he gave up and left. It would make more sense to have a dedicated bar person and serving of food left to someone else, or at least provide cover in the bar during the serving of meals.

Food - Evening meals are usually quite good, if a tad expensive, but they are pretty much in line with other Holiday Inns. Mixed grill is probably the best value on the menu. Room service menu is a little limited but you can also order from the main menu, both are provided in the rooms. Out of all my stays only had one where I've had a long wait, and that was due to the order not being put through to the kitchen correctly. Breakfast is totally self service with hot and cold buffet as pointed out in other reviews.

Wi-Fi - Another area with room for improvement. Costs £10.00 for 24 hours basic, which can be pretty slow. Would like to see this free as a lot of hotels are now offering this but assume they need to change from Swisscom first. Even if it was free in the public areas it would help as a lot of people now use their mobile devices to watch football on Sky since the hotel no longer shows games in the bar.

Priority Club members - Platinum members do get recognition here. They are provided with a tray of chocolate bar, bottle of water and carton of juice. If you don't receive this mention it to reception. Upgrades are provided at times, depending on how busy the hotel is. As with most hotels the shorter the stay the more likely the upgrade.

Apart from the couple of niggles mentioned above the hotel provides a good base for me when working in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing us with such a comprehensive and constructive review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the Trip Advisor website.

We appreciate your loyalty as a Platinum status member of our Priority Club Rewards scheme who has chosen to stay at this hotel whilst working in the local area. I have noted all of the points that you have detailed and will ensure that the hotel team, including the team members you have named so positively, are fully aware of your feedback and any necessary actions are taken without delay.

We hope to be able to continue to welcome you back to the hotel in the future. If there is anything at all that you would like to discuss with any member of the management team please do not hesitate to ask for us at the main reception.

In the meantime if there is any way we can be of assistance then do not hesitate to let us know.

UK
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Been here a number of time but decided to use it again as I had business in the area, location just of A1 is good for getting back to M25 or down A1 into London and also good for getting tube from Barnett directly into city.

Check in was ok, desk staff not exactly enthusiastic and no mention of Priority status and no upgrade, given room on lower floor, smelt of damp as soon as you walked through the door, condensation running down the windows and bed and pillows damp. Returned to front desk to request change of room, this caused some problems and eventually I was allocated a room on the 2nd floor, just a basic room no frills, bed and bathroom with shower that dribbled.

As a platinum member I would have expected a bottle of water or something, in other Holiday Inns it is normal to get a goodie bag of water or wine and snacks as well as paper or a bar voucher, here nothing and considering my experience with the first room it was even more of a disappointment to be fobbed off to a basic room without any apology.

Bar food was ok, served in efficient time, not piping hot but edible,, breakfast was ok, hot selection but no one stirring beans so skin forming over them when I arrived, scrambled eggs congealed together but cold selection was ok with fruit and yogurt and a reasonable coffee machine.

Disappointed in this trip, hotel could be so much better but its starting to be in need of a makeover and the staff are not exactly enthusiastic about their positions, seems to be holding a lot of corporate events so I would assume a lot of income now comes from this area. Not sure I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing us with a review of your recent stay on the Trip Advisor website.

I sincerely apologise that we failed to provide you with an enjoyable and relaxing stay and that you left feeling disappointed with your check in experience, accommodation and the hot breakfast items.

If it is convenient for you, we would like to discuss your comments with you in more detail. Please would you contact Shae Walmsley the Hotel Operations Manager via the hotels main number 0208-214-9988, he will be in the hotel every weekday.

We do value your custom and would like to be able to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn London-Elstree again in the future.

Belper, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

A good hotel if you are on business, check in was very smooth and helpful.

The rooms were more than adequate when you're away from home, a couple of biscuits wouldn't go a miss.

Breakfast was excellent, very fresh food and a good selection.

What let the Hotel down and a 4 star rating is the fact that you have to pay for wi-fi! I had to pay £7 for 24hr service, that's the same as I pay for my monthly subscription at home. Paying for wi fi in this day and age is not cool. My company would pay, but that's not the point...

Room Tip: Have a good 3G phone