“How I see it”

Holiday Inn London - Elstree
Ranked #641 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the last couple of years when working in the area. I find some of the more negative reviews on here to be different from what I have experienced so I will try and address some of the points raised by other reviewers.

Check-in & check-out - Not had any real issues here. Most of the time things are very smooth. I have had the odd wait of a few minutes when checking out but nothing major. Over the last few months there has been quite a turnover in reception staff, and manager, so I can only assume the issues seen by other people were with the new staff as they were "learning". All current staff are now very efficient

Rooms - I have stayed in a variety of rooms here from basic to suites. I admit that some of the rooms are now begining to show some wear, such as curtain tie-backs missing or toilet roll holders being loose. Probably the best thing to do is report these to reception. Whenever I've reported something in the morning it's been fixed by the time I return in the evening. Also some of the rooms can be noisy as the hotel is located next to the A1. I've nearly always managed to get a change of rooms when I've requested one so have a word with reception if you're not happy. It looks like the much awaited replacement of old style TVs is now underway as when I returned to the hotel yesterday evening there was a brand new flat screen Samsung in the room.

Staff - In general I find all the staff to be good but that could be because I speak to them on a regular basis. I find that smiling at people and saying "good morning" etc works wonders. If you appear unapproachable it's unlikely that staff will engage in conversation with you. I noticed that a few members of staff have been highlighted in previous reviews and agree with the postive comments regarding Tareq, Rita, Shirley etc.I saw one review where Wendy had been mentioned as she was complaining but this is not my experience, I've always found her helpful and friendly. However this did relate to her working on the bar, which brings me on to my next point .....

Bar - This is an area where the hotel could improve. Normally there is only one person on the bar in the evenings. However this person is also responsible for delivering bar meals and it seems that they spend quite a bit of time in and out of the kitchen. This leads to the bar being unattended at times with people waiting up to 10 minutes for a drink. I witnessed a certain "TV star" trying to get service at the bar the other night, after around 5 minutes of pacing up and down he gave up and left. It would make more sense to have a dedicated bar person and serving of food left to someone else, or at least provide cover in the bar during the serving of meals.

Food - Evening meals are usually quite good, if a tad expensive, but they are pretty much in line with other Holiday Inns. Mixed grill is probably the best value on the menu. Room service menu is a little limited but you can also order from the main menu, both are provided in the rooms. Out of all my stays only had one where I've had a long wait, and that was due to the order not being put through to the kitchen correctly. Breakfast is totally self service with hot and cold buffet as pointed out in other reviews.

Wi-Fi - Another area with room for improvement. Costs £10.00 for 24 hours basic, which can be pretty slow. Would like to see this free as a lot of hotels are now offering this but assume they need to change from Swisscom first. Even if it was free in the public areas it would help as a lot of people now use their mobile devices to watch football on Sky since the hotel no longer shows games in the bar.

Priority Club members - Platinum members do get recognition here. They are provided with a tray of chocolate bar, bottle of water and carton of juice. If you don't receive this mention it to reception. Upgrades are provided at times, depending on how busy the hotel is. As with most hotels the shorter the stay the more likely the upgrade.

Apart from the couple of niggles mentioned above the hotel provides a good base for me when working in the area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for providing us with such a comprehensive and constructive review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the Trip Advisor website.

We appreciate your loyalty as a Platinum status member of our Priority Club Rewards scheme who has chosen to stay at this hotel whilst working in the local area. I have noted all of the points that you have detailed and will ensure that the hotel team, including the team members you have named so positively, are fully aware of your feedback and any necessary actions are taken without delay.

We hope to be able to continue to welcome you back to the hotel in the future. If there is anything at all that you would like to discuss with any member of the management team please do not hesitate to ask for us at the main reception.

In the meantime if there is any way we can be of assistance then do not hesitate to let us know.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Been here a number of time but decided to use it again as I had business in the area, location just of A1 is good for getting back to M25 or down A1 into London and also good for getting tube from Barnett directly into city.

Check in was ok, desk staff not exactly enthusiastic and no mention of Priority status and no upgrade, given room on lower floor, smelt of damp as soon as you walked through the door, condensation running down the windows and bed and pillows damp. Returned to front desk to request change of room, this caused some problems and eventually I was allocated a room on the 2nd floor, just a basic room no frills, bed and bathroom with shower that dribbled.

As a platinum member I would have expected a bottle of water or something, in other Holiday Inns it is normal to get a goodie bag of water or wine and snacks as well as paper or a bar voucher, here nothing and considering my experience with the first room it was even more of a disappointment to be fobbed off to a basic room without any apology.

Bar food was ok, served in efficient time, not piping hot but edible,, breakfast was ok, hot selection but no one stirring beans so skin forming over them when I arrived, scrambled eggs congealed together but cold selection was ok with fruit and yogurt and a reasonable coffee machine.

Disappointed in this trip, hotel could be so much better but its starting to be in need of a makeover and the staff are not exactly enthusiastic about their positions, seems to be holding a lot of corporate events so I would assume a lot of income now comes from this area. Not sure I would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing us with a review of your recent stay on the Trip Advisor website.

I sincerely apologise that we failed to provide you with an enjoyable and relaxing stay and that you left feeling disappointed with your check in experience, accommodation and the hot breakfast items.

If it is convenient for you, we would like to discuss your comments with you in more detail. Please would you contact Shae Walmsley the Hotel Operations Manager via the hotels main number 0208-214-9988, he will be in the hotel every weekday.

We do value your custom and would like to be able to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn London-Elstree again in the future.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

A good hotel if you are on business, check in was very smooth and helpful.

The rooms were more than adequate when you're away from home, a couple of biscuits wouldn't go a miss.

Breakfast was excellent, very fresh food and a good selection.

What let the Hotel down and a 4 star rating is the fact that you have to pay for wi-fi! I had to pay £7 for 24hr service, that's the same as I pay for my monthly subscription at home. Paying for wi fi in this day and age is not cool. My company would pay, but that's not the point...

Room Tip: Have a good 3G phone
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing us with feedback following yor recent stay at the Holiday Inn London-Elstree via the Trip Advisor website. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us, I will certain share your comments with the rest of the hotel team.

I do apologise that we make a charge for the use of our WIFI. In order to provide the most reliable and best possible signal/service to our guests our WIFI internet is provided by an outside supplier which makes a charge for using the service. We do, howver, offer a rate which includes WIFI as part of the package, so if this service is important to you you may consider booking on this rate in future.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn London-Elstree and we look forward to being able to welcome you back in the very near future. In the meantime, if there is any way we may be of assistance do not hesitate to let us know.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I used to use this hotel regularly (at least once a month) for 2 years but started experiencing problems... noisy rooms mainly (next to aircon generators) but also bad/late food. Despite complaints and it supposedly being logged on my profile re specific rooms being too noisy to sleep in i still kept getting allocated those rooms. After many failures i started using the premier inn half a mile down the road... Heaps cheaper and much nicer. Unfortunately tonight I've had to come here (premier inn full). Nothing has improved....it's just taken them an hour to do a plate of nachos and, no, that's not room service, i came down to the bar thinking out would be quicker. Just what i wanted after a 2 and half hour drive to get here.

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Guest

I sincerely apologise that we failed to provide you with an enjoyable and relaxing stay and that you experienced issues with your accommodation and the food service in the bar.

If it is convenient for you, we would like to discuss your comments with you in more detail. Please would you contact Shae Walmsley the Hotel Operations Manager via the hotels main number 0208-214-9988.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

was booked into this hotel travelling with a group of people for a one night stay this weekend, Although we arrived by coach late afternoon all our rooms had been allocated and we were given an envelope with our room keys in very quickly, the hotel looked very clean in reception on arrival. The corridors to the room were well decorated with very nice clean carpets so a good first impression. Our room was a good size with twin beds, tea and coffee making facilities and a good size bathroom ,we were extreamly pleased with the room as other holiday inns nearer to London i have stayed in were very poor. We had booked an evening meal which was a little disappointing as they ran out of chicken and as i dont like salmon i had to have a chicken tandori meal with rice which was not what i wanted to eat, other guests felt they should have provided gravy with their chicken as it was quite dry without. However the vegetable soup was very nice and the apple pie was also very good, The breakfast the next morning was very good with plenty of choice, I would use this hotel again although it is quite a few miles from London.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Guest

I was pleased to read on the Trip Advisor website that you had a pleasant stay at the Holiday Inn London-Elstree last weekend. It is always enjoyable to read constructive feedback of the products and services we provide from guest who have stayed with us.

I have noted all of the points that you have detailed and will ensure that they are communicated to the hotel team and dealt with as appropriate. In particular I will ensure that our Housekeeping Team are aware of your positive comments regarding your accommodation.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Lodnon-Elstree and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed quite a while ago there was a problem with flies, management insisted they were doing all they could to deal with it. And Im pleased to say they have. Not a fly in sight. Still a bit dated and no sky or free wifi but rooms clean.Stayed 3 nights. Breakfast excellant with all you can eat, Bar & Resturant food a bit pricey but also excellent . Rita & an elderly asian gentleman on breakfast very good, as were Tarique(rest) & Shirley(bar) who stand out. Nothing was 2 much trouble for these 2 despite our many varied requests. On the whole staff very good and friendly with one exception. The lady that was in the bar in the mornings was miserable and sometimes agressive. Wendy spent all the time i was in the lounge area moaning and getting orders wrong. Although as she said that she had to run the bar and resturant as well as helping out on reception I could see her point but didnt need to hear this when trying to have my coffee after breakfast. Check out was ok but the reception mamager was a bit loud and I think he was new. All in all a good stay. We wernt 2 bothered with the sky or wifi as we spent most of the days out, only having breakfast and then coming back (sometimes a bit late) for a meal in the evening. Will definatly stay again for another girls trip away.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the Trip Advisor website.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing to return to the hotel when you were visiting the area again, we do appreciate your loyalty.

I will certainly pass all of yor feedback onto the relevant team members and ensure that those who you have mentioned positively are recognised for providing the excellent service that you appreciated. I have also noted the other points that you raised and I will ensure that they are discussed and communicated constructively and appropriately.

We expect to be replacing our television units before the end of the year which will give a more modern look. Unfortunately our WiFi and the technical support for this is provided by an external company meaning that we it is necessary to charge our guests for using their services.

I hope that we can continue to welcome you and your friends back to the hotel when you visit the area in future.

If there is any way I can be of assistance please do not hesitate to let me know.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

It started off well, as it's really easy to find on the Barnet bypass, and has a big car park - after being stuck on the M25, I was really happy about that. It looked quite swanky in the dark when lit up, so had high hopes. First issue - there was no-one on reception - had to wait several minutes for someone to turn up, but when they did, check-in was swift. I had a room on the Mezzanine, so went past the well appointed bar, and up a short staircase. The room was tired to say the least - an old style CRT TV that had screen burn, very marked walls, a damaged shower control and the most ridiculous A/C control I've ever used (you don't set a temperature, you adjust from a median). The room as also sitting at 29 degrees when I got there. so it felt like the room fee was literally going up in smoke! The extractor fan was extremely noisy too. Despite that, the room was clean, and I did sleep well. The bar was good, did not get chance to try the restaurant in the evening, but breakfast was overcooked.
It served a purpose, i.e. a quick stopover before a business meeting nearby early the next day - but would not stay their out of choice. The agency I booked through claimed that the rooms were last refurbished in 2009 - if mine was, they got ripped off :(

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for providing a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn London-Elstree. It is always interesting to read constructive feedback from guests who have stayed with us so that we can concentrate on what we need to improve upon to enchance the stay experience for all of our guests.

I have noted all of the points you have raised and I will ensure that they are shared and discussed amongst the hotel team so that they are aware of what they are doing well and on which areas they need to improve.

I am sorry that you found some aspects of your accommodation disappointing. The televisions are expected to be replaced with more modern units before the end of 2012 and also the air conditioning has a major overhaul planned in the near future. The rooms on the floor you stayed in have new curtains, new bedding and were redecorated not that long ago. But please be assured that I have noted your comments and will bear them in mind when discussions regarding the decor next take place.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn London-Elstree. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to make a better impression on you and stay again when you are next visiting the area.

In the meantime, if there is any way I can be of asistance to you then do not hesitate to let me know.

Kevin Fraser

Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Holiday Inn London - Elstree M25, Jct 23
Premier Inn London Elstree / Borehamwood Hotel
Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood
Holiday Inn Express London - Golders Green North
Travelodge Borehamwood
Travelodge Borehamwood
#5 of 6 in Borehamwood
Village Hotel London Watford

Been to Holiday Inn London - Elstree? Share your experiences!