“Good Base to Stay”

Ranked #631 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Good Base to Stay”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed quite a while ago there was a problem with flies, management insisted they were doing all they could to deal with it. And Im pleased to say they have. Not a fly in sight. Still a bit dated and no sky or free wifi but rooms clean.Stayed 3 nights. Breakfast excellant with all you can eat, Bar & Resturant food a bit pricey but also excellent . Rita & an elderly asian gentleman on breakfast very good, as were Tarique(rest) & Shirley(bar) who stand out. Nothing was 2 much trouble for these 2 despite our many varied requests. On the whole staff very good and friendly with one exception. The lady that was in the bar in the mornings was miserable and sometimes agressive. Wendy spent all the time i was in the lounge area moaning and getting orders wrong. Although as she said that she had to run the bar and resturant as well as helping out on reception I could see her point but didnt need to hear this when trying to have my coffee after breakfast. Check out was ok but the reception mamager was a bit loud and I think he was new. All in all a good stay. We wernt 2 bothered with the sky or wifi as we spent most of the days out, only having breakfast and then coming back (sometimes a bit late) for a meal in the evening. Will definatly stay again for another girls trip away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the Trip Advisor website.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing to return to the hotel when you were visiting the area again, we do appreciate your loyalty.

I will certainly pass all of yor feedback onto the relevant team members and ensure that those who you have mentioned positively are recognised for providing the excellent service that you appreciated. I have also noted the other points that you raised and I will ensure that they are discussed and communicated constructively and appropriately.

We expect to be replacing our television units before the end of the year which will give a more modern look. Unfortunately our WiFi and the technical support for this is provided by an external company meaning that we it is necessary to charge our guests for using their services.

I hope that we can continue to welcome you and your friends back to the hotel when you visit the area in future.

If there is any way I can be of assistance please do not hesitate to let me know.

Yours sincerely
Kevin Fraser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Polish first
Crumlin, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

It started off well, as it's really easy to find on the Barnet bypass, and has a big car park - after being stuck on the M25, I was really happy about that. It looked quite swanky in the dark when lit up, so had high hopes. First issue - there was no-one on reception - had to wait several minutes for someone to turn up, but when they did, check-in was swift. I had a room on the Mezzanine, so went past the well appointed bar, and up a short staircase. The room was tired to say the least - an old style CRT TV that had screen burn, very marked walls, a damaged shower control and the most ridiculous A/C control I've ever used (you don't set a temperature, you adjust from a median). The room as also sitting at 29 degrees when I got there. so it felt like the room fee was literally going up in smoke! The extractor fan was extremely noisy too. Despite that, the room was clean, and I did sleep well. The bar was good, did not get chance to try the restaurant in the evening, but breakfast was overcooked.
It served a purpose, i.e. a quick stopover before a business meeting nearby early the next day - but would not stay their out of choice. The agency I booked through claimed that the rooms were last refurbished in 2009 - if mine was, they got ripped off :(

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn London-Elstree. It is always interesting to read constructive feedback from guests who have stayed with us so that we can concentrate on what we need to improve upon to enchance the stay experience for all of our guests.

I have noted all of the points you have raised and I will ensure that they are shared and discussed amongst the hotel team so that they are aware of what they are doing well and on which areas they need to improve.

I am sorry that you found some aspects of your accommodation disappointing. The televisions are expected to be replaced with more modern units before the end of 2012 and also the air conditioning has a major overhaul planned in the near future. The rooms on the floor you stayed in have new curtains, new bedding and were redecorated not that long ago. But please be assured that I have noted your comments and will bear them in mind when discussions regarding the decor next take place.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn London-Elstree. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to make a better impression on you and stay again when you are next visiting the area.

In the meantime, if there is any way I can be of asistance to you then do not hesitate to let me know.

Yours sincerely
Earth
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The location of this HI isn't really London at all as it's on the A1 which runs North out of London so anyone who thinks that it;s convenient for central London is going to be disappointed. However, its loaction is good if you want places like Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City which are just a few miles up the road and Hertford (16miles) and obviously North London all of which are accessable by road from here.

I've stayed here three times recently so I think I've built up a fairly good picture of what the hotel is like and I've read some of the other reviews on here which are pretty accurate.

Check in. My advice here is to confirm what sort of room you will be getting when you arrive as some of HI's rates specify that they will do their best to meet your needs rather than guarantee the type of room you want. This is also a good time to find out if breakfast is included in your room rate, get the name of the person on reception so that in the event of a disagreement you can refer back. On two of the three occassions I checked in I was not greeted as a Gold Priority Club member. Tip when paying by card they will ask for authorisation, you may want to find out from your bank prior to checking in if (and how) the authorisation affects your balance. I have a degree of sympathy with the hotel for taking some money upfront as they have to protect their business but check first.

Rooms. All three rooms I stayed in were a bit dated and one had a broken wardrobe door. In one was a really nice bathroom but a pathetic shower. You really won't know until you get to your room. Although the hotel is right by a main road I had no problems sleeping so that's a plus. In two of the three rooms I stayed in I had complementary chocolate (Dairy Milk), bottle of mineral water and small carton of orange juice which were replaced daily as consumed. A nice touch. I had no issues with the cleanliness of the rooms which was the usual high HI standard.

Bar. The bar was never overly busy but the service tended to be haphazard with occasional long waits for service. Food delivery times were variable with a chicken caesar salad taking over 40 minutes to arrive (when they were quiet) and a curry arriving pretty quickly. Tip 1 the chicken caesar slad was disappointing so don't bother. Tip 2 check for the specials on the bar meals as these sometimes come with a bottle of beer for £1 good value. Tip 3 try to get the older female staff to serve you as they seem to have a much better sense of customer service than some of the younger bar staff.

Breakfast. This is served from 0630 which is when I ate. All the hot food was out on time so no problems there. It also looked like it was to a high standard. The cold breakfast was also good with a decent selection of cereals, fruit and yoghurts. Tip 1 don't wait to be seated just walk on in as the lady who takes the room numbers seemed to be busy on her phone a few times but a smile and a good morning seems to resolve this and everyone's happy. Tip 2 visit reception before your breakfast as you'll need a token to get out of the carpark if it's busy they can run out of tokens. On one morning one of staff actually came round to all the breakfast tables with the tokens, this was a much appreciated gesture but it did only happen on one morning.

Leisure facilities. There is a gym with a good selection of (slightly dated) equipment but it was all working when I used it. The sauna and steam room were fine although the steam room is a bit dark. The pool is small and really too shallow at the shallow end but that's a minor point. The lockers are a bit on the small side so don't take too much with you. Only two of the four showers in the gents changing area were working so there is sometimes a queue for them. This is a private health club so it has its members as well as the hotel guests. Everyone was really happy and polite there so it was a good experience.

Checkout. Again it really depends on who the receptionist is sometimes it went well and sometimes not (but this could be true in any hotel). Check your bill before paying as they had added a breakfast to mine when it should not have been added - it was removed somewhat reluctantly by the young chap on reception.

Having stayed three times I think I've given a fair assessment of the hotel and let's face it I stayed three times so I can't have been that unhappy. The annoying thing about this hotel is the lack of consistency in everything. If only they could just be consistent (hopefully consistently good) that would make the whole experience so much better.

One big plus though if you are even thinking about the Best Western Homestead Court in Welwyn Garden City and have to make a choice between this hotel and the Homestead Court it's got to be this one everytime.

Room Tip: Check what you are getting before you go to the room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Des_Gruntled
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very detailed feedback and please accept my apologies that my team have not given consistent service during your last 3 stays with us.

I would like to thank you for highlighting the issues in the bar/lounge area I will look into why there are delays with food orders and the inconsistency of the younger team members there. Thank you for your comments regarding the leisure club and your breakfast; I will look into your comments about the host always being on the phone.

Please also accept my apologies that you have not been greeted as a gold member of our Priority Club as I know you have many choices when choosing a hotel to stay in.

I also note your comments regarding location; many of our guests prefer to stay here and travel into London on the train from the main line station in Borehamwood which takes 20/30 minutes into central London.

Really appreciate all your feedback and I hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future and provide you with consistent service during your stay.

Shropshire
Reviewed September 11, 2012

On a pre-arranged trip to London we were changed to stay at this hotel last minute which initially was a disappointment. We were going to find a local restaurant rather than eat at the hotel but this turned out to be difficult without transport However, we were very pleasantly surprised when we reluctantly went to the hotel restaurant. We ordered 2 mixed grills and I can quite honestly say they were the best we've ever had - and for less than £20 each! Definitely not your usual Holiday Inn standard of food. The waiter was very friendly and although we were the last in the restaurant, we did not feel at all pressured to leave. Breakfast the next morning was also plentiful and absolutely delicious.

The hotel room was very clean and big for London (albeit on the outskirts). The only criticism I have is that Wi-fi was chargeable which I find in this day and age a completely unecessary extra charge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am pleased that your stay was an enjoyable one even though unplanned. Thank you for trying our restaurant and I am pleased that you found our prices and food to be good value for money and of a high standard.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My daughter and I have just returned from a weekend bus trip to visit Buckingham Palace, shops etc and had expected an overnight stay in one of the hotels around Heathrow which I have to say, from past experience of a few in that area , I was not looking forward to, but instead plans were changed and were taken to The Holiday Inn at Elstree/Borehamwood.
From our arrival to the point of departure the whole time was very pleasing. The desk staff were friendly and welcoming and our room bigger than expected and beautifully clean. Our beds were comfortable and the room temperature easily set to our liking. The bathroom was of a good size, clean and well kitted out.
The evening meal which we had in the onsite reastaurant was excellent and a surprisingly low price for the London area with its usual bumped up prices. We paid under £20 for a mixed grill which was succulent,diverse and plentiful, and our breakfast was of the same very high standard.
Our waiter at both meals was attentive and very pleasant, but unfortunately I cannot remember his name or I would mention personally.
All in all we had a lovely stay and hope that get the chance to return. I have even suggested to our travel company that they change their bookings to use this hotel as a regular stopover.
With being unaware of where we would be staying we did not have our bathing things with us so were disappointed to be unable to use the swimming pool which looked very inviting too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very positive feedback and I am very happy that you decided to dine with us and had an excellent experience at dinner; I will pass your comments to the chef.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 26, 2012

On checking in I was not greeted as a Priority Club Platinum guest. I was given my room key and told where the elevators were. When I asked the clerk what type of room I had, I was told that it was a standard room as there were no executive rooms available. This was not true as there were still executive rooms available to book online.

The room was clean, but the facilities were not of a great standard. The bed was alright, despite having different labels (soft, firm etc...) all the pillows were the same, and they were all polyester.

The desk was poorly located under a sloping ceiling.

The TV was an old CRT and only had 8 channels that worked.
The toiletries were poor.
Even though I was in a standard room I would have expected something 'extra' as a top level Priority Club member. I regularly get much better treatment in Hilton properties.

I ordered a room service meal which arrived promptly. But the food was awful. I ordered a pizza and it was completely inedible, it was soggy, just warm and not properly cooked. I was delivered to my room in a takeaway pizza box. I would expect it on a warmed plate under a silver cover to be honest!

The worst part was check out. Where there was a long queue, only one person working and we were told that their computers had gone down. They were unable to produce a VAT receipt and no apology was made. As other reviewers have said nobody prompts you that a token is needed for the car park exit.

I will never be staying here again. For over £100 a night there are much better properties nearby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 19Cam
QMHManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with the hotel.

I am sorry to read that your stay was not up to the standards we should be delivering to all our guests and especially a Platinum Member of our Priority Club .

Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your pizza and I will review with chef as it should be served with a crispy base.

I would like the chance to restore your faith in our hotel and give you the chance to discuss any issues privately with me. Please email me directly on kevin.fraser@QMH-Hotels.com quoting your name, room number and date of stay and then I can look into and come back to you.

Once again I apologise for your disappointing stay but I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Kind regards,

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I dont know why people are slagging off this hotel, my wife and i went there as we came down for the Queens Jubilee Flottilla We found all the staff very helpful,the room we had was perfectly suited for a 2night stay,and the food in the restaurant was absolutely fabulous(breakfast and dinner). Can'y complain and will definately go back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 417Paul_B
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your stay at our hotel.

I’m very pleased that after reading your review you enjoyed your stay and will return to us in the future. I’m glad you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Kind regards,

Kevin Fraser
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Holiday Inn London - Elstree M25, Jct 23
Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood
Best Western Palm Hotel
Best Western Palm Hotel
#554 of 1,068 in London

Been to Holiday Inn London - Elstree? Share your experiences!