“Very good last minute hotel”

Holiday Inn London - Elstree
Ranked #635 of 1,071 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 11, 2012

On a pre-arranged trip to London we were changed to stay at this hotel last minute which initially was a disappointment. We were going to find a local restaurant rather than eat at the hotel but this turned out to be difficult without transport However, we were very pleasantly surprised when we reluctantly went to the hotel restaurant. We ordered 2 mixed grills and I can quite honestly say they were the best we've ever had - and for less than £20 each! Definitely not your usual Holiday Inn standard of food. The waiter was very friendly and although we were the last in the restaurant, we did not feel at all pressured to leave. Breakfast the next morning was also plentiful and absolutely delicious.

The hotel room was very clean and big for London (albeit on the outskirts). The only criticism I have is that Wi-fi was chargeable which I find in this day and age a completely unecessary extra charge.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am pleased that your stay was an enjoyable one even though unplanned. Thank you for trying our restaurant and I am pleased that you found our prices and food to be good value for money and of a high standard.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Yours Sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn London - Elstree

Reviewed September 10, 2012

My daughter and I have just returned from a weekend bus trip to visit Buckingham Palace, shops etc and had expected an overnight stay in one of the hotels around Heathrow which I have to say, from past experience of a few in that area , I was not looking forward to, but instead plans were changed and were taken to The Holiday Inn at Elstree/Borehamwood.
From our arrival to the point of departure the whole time was very pleasing. The desk staff were friendly and welcoming and our room bigger than expected and beautifully clean. Our beds were comfortable and the room temperature easily set to our liking. The bathroom was of a good size, clean and well kitted out.
The evening meal which we had in the onsite reastaurant was excellent and a surprisingly low price for the London area with its usual bumped up prices. We paid under £20 for a mixed grill which was succulent,diverse and plentiful, and our breakfast was of the same very high standard.
Our waiter at both meals was attentive and very pleasant, but unfortunately I cannot remember his name or I would mention personally.
All in all we had a lovely stay and hope that get the chance to return. I have even suggested to our travel company that they change their bookings to use this hotel as a regular stopover.
With being unaware of where we would be staying we did not have our bathing things with us so were disappointed to be unable to use the swimming pool which looked very inviting too.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very positive feedback and I am very happy that you decided to dine with us and had an excellent experience at dinner; I will pass your comments to the chef.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed August 26, 2012

On checking in I was not greeted as a Priority Club Platinum guest. I was given my room key and told where the elevators were. When I asked the clerk what type of room I had, I was told that it was a standard room as there were no executive rooms available. This was not true as there were still executive rooms available to book online.

The room was clean, but the facilities were not of a great standard. The bed was alright, despite having different labels (soft, firm etc...) all the pillows were the same, and they were all polyester.

The desk was poorly located under a sloping ceiling.

The TV was an old CRT and only had 8 channels that worked.
The toiletries were poor.
Even though I was in a standard room I would have expected something 'extra' as a top level Priority Club member. I regularly get much better treatment in Hilton properties.

I ordered a room service meal which arrived promptly. But the food was awful. I ordered a pizza and it was completely inedible, it was soggy, just warm and not properly cooked. I was delivered to my room in a takeaway pizza box. I would expect it on a warmed plate under a silver cover to be honest!

The worst part was check out. Where there was a long queue, only one person working and we were told that their computers had gone down. They were unable to produce a VAT receipt and no apology was made. As other reviewers have said nobody prompts you that a token is needed for the car park exit.

I will never be staying here again. For over £100 a night there are much better properties nearby.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 19Cam
QMHManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with the hotel.

I am sorry to read that your stay was not up to the standards we should be delivering to all our guests and especially a Platinum Member of our Priority Club .

Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your pizza and I will review with chef as it should be served with a crispy base.

I would like the chance to restore your faith in our hotel and give you the chance to discuss any issues privately with me. Please email me directly on kevin.fraser@QMH-Hotels.com quoting your name, room number and date of stay and then I can look into and come back to you.

Once again I apologise for your disappointing stay but I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I dont know why people are slagging off this hotel, my wife and i went there as we came down for the Queens Jubilee Flottilla We found all the staff very helpful,the room we had was perfectly suited for a 2night stay,and the food in the restaurant was absolutely fabulous(breakfast and dinner). Can'y complain and will definately go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 417Paul_B

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your stay at our hotel.

I’m very pleased that after reading your review you enjoyed your stay and will return to us in the future. I’m glad you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Took a long time to get checked in. Room service dinner took an hour and a half and only half the order was delivered.
Have stayed in better. Rooms dated but clean. Hotel is right beside motorway so easy to get to.

• Stayed: August 2012
QMHManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with Holiday Inn London-Elstree.

I am sorry to read that check-in and your meal was slow and had errors.

If you would like to discuss any other issues you may have had please do not hesitate in emailing me on Kevin.Fraser@qmh-hotels.com.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

So I have never written a review online for any property, and there have been times when I see a negative review I think it may have just that one person's experience, or maybe they are over critical. Well, I can assure you- this review is spot on to what you will get.

First off, it is advertised as a great location. I am confused to why others have said it is located perfectly, considering you have to take a taxi or public bus just to get to the train station. You can walk 35 minutes (normal to fast pace) along a busy highway to get there if you don't want to pay for a taxi though. But, as someone that chooses to walk everywhere, I didn't even want to. Then, to get to London you take the train that is known by the locals as the "Bed pan" line because it is slow and rather inconsistent. The locals told me to make sure I leave plenty of time before I need to be somewhere because it runs late often. So, if you want to stay in Elstree then yes maybe it is a good location, but if you want to go to the city of London then it would be best to spend your money elsewhere or even stay at a hostel in London!!

Before booking the room, it advertised "continental breakfast included". When I showed up to the hotel, the receptionist said it was 10 pounds and when I told him I read otherwise he said "show me a document to prove it". Well, the email confirmation did not have it on there.While there, I asked 6 other guests if they thought it was included before arrival and they did! And the receptionist responded the same way to them. Wouldn't you think the receptionist would ask the manager about why so many guests were under the impression there was free breakfast, and to maybe get that fixed? Or perhaps it was a marketing ploy to encourage people to stay there, because the way the receptionist responded- he clearly was used to this question!

The rooms are just rooms with walls and a roof. They are nothing special, but I didn't care for much or expect much. The room was always cleaned well each day.. Although, you have to ask for a clean towel and may get a wash cloth.

I am currently a Hiltons diamond member and travel often. Prior to this trip I was planning on switching to Holiday Inn because some of my friends have had great experiences. After this experience I will think twice about staying at a Holiday Inn and will not only make sure to get everything documented upon arrival, but also make sure the description matches the actual hotel. This was a big dissapointment...I even left the hotel 2 days prior to my actual check out date and stayed at a friends flat in London. (Of course, they kept my money).

All in all- Don't stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay in Holiday Inn London-Elstree.

I am sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. I am not aware that the hotel advertises anywhere about a free breakfast, but we do offer guests the chance to purchase a £10 breakfast voucher for a full English breakfast at check-in which is instead of the standard £14.95 cost.

If you could please email where you saw the advertisement to the email address below I will investigate further.

Our hotel is situated near London so our guests can travel there easily by car or public transport but return to the hotel for a quiet and relaxing stay away from the noise and bustle of the city.

If you want to discuss your issues with our hotel further, please do not hesitate in emailing me on kevin.fraser@qmh-hotels.com quoting your name, date of stay and room number.

I hope you change your mind and I can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I am a Gold Priority Club member. This hotel is fine and although it is a bit tired in places the location is excellent. I have no real issue with the staff or service or indeed any other aspect of the hotel except that it has a terrible phone signal so if you want to work while you are out as I do the internet connection is awful. WiFi is avaliable but at an extortionate £5 per hour or £15 per day. This will stop me from using this hotel again. There is lots of competition nearby.

Room Tip: Some rooms are close to the A1. Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Dear guest,

I am pleased to read that you were happy with the location and the staff/service.

However, I am disappointed to read that you would not return due to our WiFi prices. Our WiFi price is set outside of the hotel and I’m sorry you found it expensive.

I hope that you change your mind and I can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kevin Fraser

Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Holiday Inn London - Elstree M25, Jct 23
Premier Inn London Elstree / Borehamwood Hotel
Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood
Travelodge Borehamwood
Travelodge Borehamwood
#5 of 6 in Borehamwood
Village Hotel London Watford
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree

Been to Holiday Inn London - Elstree? Share your experiences!