Review Highlights

from $32.80
from $90.40
from $44.80
More Info
All reviews fortnum mason great fun courtauld gallery skates boating christmassy session marshalls tickets backdrop sponsored stewards slots opportunities
Reviewed August 30, 2018

Surprisingly there are plenty of opportunities to ice skate in London during winter but this rink is in the city centre, has a good quality ice, it's decent size, there is an adjacent bar and perfect atmosphere. Good to come along with friends and have a fun.

Reviewed June 16, 2018

I have visited Somerset House Christmas Ice Rink a couple of times & the setting of Somerset House's Christmas Ice Rink is simply Christmas at it's best.
Even if you choose not to skate it is well worth a visit to watch & soak up the Christmas atmosphere.
I didn't skate but the process of hiring skates etc looked fairly straightforward. They have one large rink & a smaller one for children.
Plenty of places to have a drink & food within the grounds of Somerset House.
They also have a magnificent Fortnum & Mason Christmas pop up shop. Very much worth a browse.

Reviewed February 14, 2018

We have tried all the other London ice rinks over the years, but somehow find ourselves back at Somerset House more often than not.The Fortnum & Mason Christmas tree adds to the festive ambience, and the Skate Lounge serves a decent hot chocolate. This year the hire skates were the lace-up variety which are more of a hassle compared to the usual buckle fasteners, but ultimately provided for a better experience (especially if you've skated before). We also found the rink a little less crowded than normal...perhaps we just got lucky!

Reviewed January 23, 2018

There are a lot of skating rinks in London and this is one of the best. Although for my Canadian standards it was still tiny, I liked the atmosphere, lights, and music.

Pricing depends on the time of the year, with tickets around Christmas and New Years being the most expensive. I waited until mid-January to go and went around 4pm to catch both daylight and evening light. Your ticket is valid for 1 hour of skate time, which is more than enough.

You cannot bring large bags/backpacks or any cameras onto the ice and must check them in a bag check on site for £1. I was frustrated with this as I wanted to take nice photos.

The skates aren't great, but I guess you can't expect much for rentals. Make sure to wear socks, as the skates will be wet and smelly. Maybe even bring extra socks to change into after and some hand sanitizer! Ick! Also, all the skates are hockey skates without picks, no figure skates are available.

Be careful as most folks who come to skate haven't had much practice and are likely to cut you off and possibly fall. Or stand in the middle of the path and take several hundred selfies. There are Ice Marshalls on the rink to help out, but I didn't find them helpful at all. Mostly they were showing off! Would have been nice if they gave a bit more support to the new skaters, or even simple tips like pointing out if someone's lace was undone or skates weren't tied tight enough.

Still a lot of fun and great people watching!

Reviewed January 22, 2018 via mobile

Such a beautiful venue. Great service. Great time. Great bar attached. Definitely going back. What more is there to say?

Reviewed January 9, 2018 via mobile

You'll love this, the lighting around the rink and the Christmas music really does make for a magical evening. Fairly good size rink ;however, could of been bigger. No skating aids on the main rink as these were kept on the training rink which is a brilliant idea. Kind and thoughtful stewards.

Reviewed January 3, 2018

The Somerset House Ice Rink is the best Christmas skating experience in London. Beautiful historic courtyard, larger rink than in most other places, not overcrowded. Both Fortnum & Mason lounge and rinkside bar are very nice with a good choice of drinks and food (in F&M lounge). All is very classy and tasteful.
Visited excellent Courtauld gallery in the Somerset House and made a memorable evening of art and skating.

Reviewed January 3, 2018 via mobile

I’ve been to Somerset House with my son before and it is true that the skating rink can be very crowded and that there is a definite “go with the flow” momentum that needs to be achieved for everyone to skate safely, but the backdrop is picturesque and if the weather is fine it’s a lovely experience. However, what ruined it this time was realising that I’d booked two extra tickets for the same session. I booked tickets for the two of us and then wanted to add a fondue as an extra treat. It was not clear on ticket master that the fondue was not an add on, but a separate skate/fondue package in its own right. When I realised this at the venue the waiter was really helpful and took me to the skate staff, who got their manager and then I was told I’d have to email in about it to get a refund for the extra tickets. Ultimately I was told that I had bought the tickets on an un-refundable basis and that was that. It felt like pretty harsh customer service, when the website seemed so unclear. Just be careful when you book.

Reviewed January 3, 2018 via mobile

This is the second year I’ve skated at Somerset House and both times I’ve enjoyed it as I’ve been lucky with the weather (no rain and the temp hovering around 5C) and the wonderful tree makes it feel even more ‘Christmassy’. However, I did notice that this time the rink was a little crowded which ultimately made it hard to skate. I appreciate they want to make the most money they can and provide opportunities for as many possible but it did take away some of the enjoyment, especially considering the cost of the ticket.

Reviewed January 1, 2018 via mobile

Great evening spent at Somerset house for NYE, excellent food and drinks at Fortum and Mason.

But organisers, please do something about your choice of champagne/sparkling wine on the balcony.

Invested 60 pounds in a bottle for the stroke of midnight.

Words fail me, there is no way anyone actually tasted the stuff as it is truly horrendous and does not deserve 'vinegar' status.

Ridgeview will never darken my lips ever again, and to be honest you should be ashamed of offering this.

Poor, poor, show which fortunately made us all laugh as we could not believe how awful it was.

A suggestion would be to taste what you are retailing.

An amused and disappointed customer.

Decided to invest 60 in a bottle of