“Blades of Glory”

Somerset House Ice Rink
Reviewed January 20, 2013

An hour on the ice is just about right, unless you prefer to keep your toes planted firmly on the ground (for which there is a pleasant viewing area).

With the Christmas tree and other festive decorations on hand this truly is a winter wonderland.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"sponsored"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My girlfriend took me here on a Friday morning as a birthday surprise and I have to say that I was a little bit apprehensive at first as I have been ice skating for about 20 years.
It was very well organised and there were a lot of staff about to help with any queries and even a cloakroom to drop off bags and coats that you did not want to take out on the ice.

The actual skating was fun to do but got a bit monotonous going round in circles after a while. I found stopping every 5 minutes or so helped to break it up a bit and make it more enjoyable. My one gripe would be that it seemed to be a bit crowded for a small rink as I found myself having to dodge and weave around people. We did see one bad accident when a man skated into a woman who turned very sharply which left him very dazed. The staff were on hand to look after him and put him into a wheelchair to get him off the ice.

There was a photographer on the ice but we didn't get any of the photos.

It's worth noting that it doesn't get that cold on the ice and you heat up from the exercise so dress appropiate to the weather of the day.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Lots of individual exhibitions with interesting collections. Good food and a great shop too. Liked the variety of places to explore. Not too keen on the ice-Rink as they seem to be everywhere at Xmas time.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We went to see all the skaters here on our visit to London. A great place to just people watch if you are not into skating. Watching all the children and good and bad skaters was a true up lifting part of Christmas.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Went for New Years Eve skating. If going again would have booked the late skating session, we were waiting around for a while for the fireworks. There is a very good view of the fireworks themselves, and plenty of space on the balcony. Could have done with more drinks and food options....and more seating spaces as well.

5  Thank kevintiobraid