“Fantastic service at the Cafe Royal”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #47 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We decided on our 25 wedding anniversary to go to the Cafe Royal as it was where we had our wedding reception. Walking into the foyer was like stepping back in time. We enjoyed drinks at the bar where the service was fantastic, the selection of drinks is amazing and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Definitely a place to go for a special celebration.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda P
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Many thanks for your penning your kind words after your recent visit to Café Royal hotel. We are delighted you revisited the reincarnated Café Royal for your silver wedding anniversary, after holding your wedding reception here all those years ago. Our heartfelt congratulations to you both and we very much look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Cafe Royal

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Apart from when checking in when it was blatantly obvious we were staying at the hotel (luggage was a big giveaway) every time my girlfriend and I returned to the hotel the doorman would give me a look as of you say "can I help you sir, this hotel isn't for you". Just because I am young (22) doesn't mean I don't have a) the money b) the right to be treated as any other guest. It was a similar story at check in where we waited for 10 minutes to be served.

The room was very nice but the technology was a bit overkill to a point where it was frustrating not being at to find the touch on/off lights at night. So without generalising I can imagine the more mature guests struggling even more than us! The bathroom mirror TV I considered pointless and only switched it on to see it operate. The walk in shower was huge, but I wasn't aware there was no bath when I booked the room and there was more than enough space in there for one! Lots of marble which was actually very slippery and I nearly lost my footing on a couple of occasions.

The first iron we requested leaked water everywhere (including all over my shirt for the evening) but another was swiftly brought in to replace it. One evening I bought a DVD for us to watch, and tried to call down to reception to request a DVD player (which the rooms don't have) after 10 minutes, calling all the desks I had to go down there at 11pm to find someone. I explained I had been trying to call, got a very wooly excuse but decided to drop it and ask for the DVD player. "Sorry sir they are all booked out" - "if it's a serious problem sir I am sure the hotel would allow you to watch a film from the on demand service in your room free of charge as a way of making this up to you" ... Is what he should have said if he had an ounce of initiative. Instead he stood there blankly offering nothing more than his sincerest apologies which I accepted but was no closer to watching my film. I eventually phoned up (and getting through!!! They much have changed over down there) I asked whether I could get the film for free and of course they said yes.

The positives - house keeping we're absolutely superb. The best I have ever experienced. There is a green/red light system on the door so we were not once disturbed. The morning newspaper was at my door every morning at a time which meant the news was still relevant unlike some hotels. And my shoes were returned polished also - to a high standard.

The spa/pool area was the best part of the hotel by far and the ladies down there were the friendliest and least judgemental of the staff at the hotel. The hamam was very nice and the pool was the perfect size too!

The grill bar has the wow factor and the champagne was obviously delicious I am even willing to over look the table the gave me which was the worst in the room, right by the bar/kitchen and people could see you from the street and the staff wouldn't close the door. Anyway very cool and worth the £200 privilege to sit there for an hour or so.

I cannot forget to mention the concierge guys who gave us some excellent recommendations (even if they were struggling to find us breakfast at 1130 - they managed it) All with a smile on there face too! Some of the staff could take valuable lessons from those two men about hospitality and customer service.

Overall I would stay at Cafe Royal again. It's a fabulous location and although I thought there were issues (I'm yet to find a perfect hotel) the positives far outweighed the negatives and we had a delightful 5 days in London with the help of Cafe Royal.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Michael M

Thank you so much for taking the time to pen your review after your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I am delighted to learn your appreciation of the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre and the Oscar Wilde Bar. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the housekeeping and concierge team and I will pass these on with sincere thanks. I was however disappointed to note your other comments in your review and would like to discuss these with you personally. I have sent you my contact details by private message. Please do get in touch.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed at the Cafe Royal on Business for one night. Right in the heart of piccadilly so you get the benefit of the location but the rooms are fantastically quiet. The rooms are huge, and quite hi tech - with a tv in the bathroom mirror and a tv set that swivels to follow you round the room. One of the staff does have to give you a 5 minute run down on how to switch the lights on and off (why oh why does it have to be so complicated in hotels these days!). Fantastic shower and rather marvellous marble bath. All very comfortable. my only complaint is one that i have come across in almost all hotels - most women need a mirror in the room, with a plug socket. The mirrors are plentiful in the bathroom, round the minibar and inside the wardrobes but if you need to muck around with hair straighteners it's impossible...so i suspect a man designed those rooms!

The staff are plentiful and very attentive - though the service in the bar was rather slow. I very much enjoyed my stay there and enjoyed the calm atmosphere in the midst of heaving London. We had a 2 day small conference and the buffet lunches where excellent. I also happened to get in the lift with a gentleman who asked whether I was here on business and when I responded yes he gave me his card and offered his services for anything we needed - he was the General Manager. apparently there is a spa but I didn't go there - next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Many thanks for penning your kind words following your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I am heartened by your comments regarding your appreciation of the design of our guestrooms, although thank you for highlighting an area of improvement regarding the mirror/power socket. Thank you for your appreciation of our hand carved white Carrara marble bathroom and for your kind words regarding the team. Please do try and and visit the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre when you return to Café Royal hotel; it truly is not to be missed. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

The junior suite was spacious. The room faces Regent Street but the windows are sound proof. Everything in pastel colours. Every piece of furniture was well picked. The bathroom was huge with separate bath, shower and toilet. The whole bathroom was made of marble but it was warm because of floor heating. The interior design was modern and minimal. Love this alternative from the bunch of classic luxury hotels in London.

The amenities in the room were in high quality. The bath products were from Floris! The slippers were soft and comfortable. Nespresso. Harney & Sons. Bang & Olufsen.

The breakfast in Ten Room was delicious. The first thing I think of every morning I woke up in Cafe Royal was the breakfast! It was a really full one. Fruit, cereal, yogurt, pastries, tea or coffee, juice. Love the pastries particularly.

I didn't use the spa and gym myself. My friend who was staying with me went there and told me she loved it and felt like she was in Thailand.

One minor problem I encountered was when we were sitting in the room for quite a while, there was a blackout all of a sudden. I guess the lightings were motion sensor lights. But we waved and walked in the room, the lights didn't come back. It was so dark that I couldn't even see the keypad on the phone to call the front desk. I have to open the door to use the lights from the corridor and followed the instructions by the front desk to turn the lights on. It would be hilarious if someone passes by seeing us wearing our sleepwear trying to turn the lights on with the door open. I also accidentally turned the maid service button without knowing while I tried to turn the lights on. In just a few minutes the maids came. They were very responsive, anyway.

Another problem was the plug in the bath didn't work properly. Pushing the plug didn't stop the water flowing away but only do it in a slower velocity. Only half of my body was under water after I sat in the bath for 10 minutes.

One of the cups in the room had coffee stinks on it. Didn't expect that in a luxury hotel.

The lighting problem is fine to me. The tub and the cup were probably occasional mistakes. However, those things were minor when everything else was gorgeous. I will definitely come back and recommend Cafe Royal to my friends and family.

Thank you for the Moleskine notebook!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Café Royal hotel after your stay with us. I am very pleased to read of your appreciation for the hotel’s large guest rooms and the design of the hotel. World famous David Chipperfield Architects has achieved a perfect balance between 21st century style and the retained grand historic public rooms of the 1860s and 1920s, which have been painstakingly restored in collaboration with historic building architects, Donald Insall Associates. Your highlighted points have been duly noted and I hope these did not in anyway dampen your overall stay and I would like to thank you for bringing these to our attention. Thank you also for your kind words regarding our staff and service; my first priority and that of my team, is service to our guests and I am so pleased you have experienced this first hand. Your comments will be passed on to relevant members of the team. I look forward to meeting and even exceeding your expectations further on your second stay at Café Royal hotel.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

This hotel is amazing, my parents stayed when visiting from the USA and it's unreal!! The staff, food atmosphere are perfect. They truly are all ready one of the best hotels. You have to go to the Spa it's to die for and the underground swimming pool is stunning.Well done Cafe Royal.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your review on Café Royal hotel and I am delighted your parents enjoyed their stay and thank you for your appreciation of the hotel when you visited them. I am very happy to read that your experience as a whole was a very positive one and I will pass on your kind words to my team. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Had a first class stay at Cafe Royal. Great Hotel, great Spa, great location. service was excellent. Fantastic mix of modern and historic. Fantastic quality to everything following the 4 year refurbishment. The spa is first class and a real central London oasis. Leave time for a relaxing breakfast. We will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Deluxe Double over looking Piccadilly. The triple glazing means that this can be watched in near sil...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review of Café Royal hotel and your kind words regarding the design of the hotel. I am very pleased to read this all met your expectations. Thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

After searching the web for afternoon tea , we decided on the cafe royal as somewhere we have not visited before. The tea was booked for 5pm as a pre theatre treat. On arrival was not overly impressed with the reception areas of the hotel, and found the entrance on air street ordinary for a five star hotel. The doormen and staff were very polite and friendly when we inquired on where to go for the tea. The tea was in the Oscar Wilde room , which is very grand and decorated in rococo style. We were politely shown to our table , and was also very pleased to see and hear the pianist which added to the occasion. The waiters and waitress were very good, could not fault the service. As for the tea , fantastic assortment of sandwich's and scones and preserves and pastries. All sorts of teas for every taste! The tea was refilled when we wanted, so were the sandwich's.

Would say we really enjoyed our afternoon tea , and could not fault the quality and service that was shown to us.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Oscar Wilde Bar at Café Royal hotel for afternoon tea. I am delighted you enjoyed the sandwiches and pastries and that the service met your expectations, I will ensure I pass on your kind words to the team. Café Royal hotel has four entrances including the one you used in Air Street. Next time you visit, may I suggest you enter via our main Regent Street entrance which is very historic and quite beautiful; pictures on the home page of our website. Thank you for your comments and we hope to welcoming you back.