“Gorgeous modern hotel, amazing location”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #48 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Toronto, Canada
“Gorgeous modern hotel, amazing location”
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We have chosen this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and boy it did exceed our expectations. We booked two nights at a junior suite (Mansard style).. The moments we walked in we were welcomed by everyone. Ahmad at the reception was wonderful he gave us a tour of the hotel and showed us the different types of rooms they have. The lobby is breathtaking combining both classic and modern styles in a creative way. The elevators are replicas of the originals and they are so unique. Hallways are covered with wood panels which added to the warmth and beauty of the hotel. The room was roomy and beautiful with all the wood panels and the high tech gadgets (Bang & Olufsen) all around. The bathroom is huge and stunning covered with carrera marble.. The room is spotless clean. The location is fantastic; close to everything.. It's in the middle if Piccadilly street with all the shopping you could ever ask for. All the landmarks are within walking distance. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel and we will definitely return back whenever we're in London. Thank you Cafe Royal for making our stay a more enjoyable one.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Anthony L, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Café Royal hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to hear your appreciation of the renovation of the hotel, designed for the 21st century traveller. David Chipperfield Architects was the lead architect in the hotel restoration, where modern elegance has been carefully paired with historical style and glamour. I am very happy to read your enjoyment of the guestrooms including the Mansard Junior Suite and all the in-room amenities. I hope to welcome you back to Café Royal hotel in the very near future.

Anthony Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at cafe royal for valentines weekend...and it was just amazing! The rooms were of the highest standard, the staff were extremely attentive and welcoming and the spa was the best I've ever visited. Really great location! Would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Yellowbear213
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I was delighted that your time with us was so enjoyable. I am very pleased to read of your appreciation of our central London location and of the Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre. Thank you also for your kind comments about the team and service received and I will be sure to pass on your special thanks to all. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My four night stay at the Cafe Royal was an excellent experience. Staff made for a warm welcome and efficient check-in, and the Portland Deluxe room was superb. Not only was it spacious, but the room came with brilliant facilities and amenities: Floris bath products, a B&O TV, a TV in the bathroom mirror, a Nespresso machine, a heated bathroom floor, and more. Turndown service was a treat, as was the selection of TV channels (Sky F1 was a favourite!)

The room service was excellent, and I enjoyed my breakfast each morning. I also tried the Akasha Spa, which I found to be very good – worth a swim and sauna break. Concierge was very helpful in securing hard to get dinner reservations.

The location was top-notch: walking distance to shopping, theatres, attractions, and there's an underground station just outside, as well as many well-serviced bus routes nearby.

Maintenance issues with my bathtub plug and the room's window were literally solved in 5min. Very impressive.

The bar probably isn't worth a visit, but with everything else being to the standard it was, I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Café Royal hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much. I am heartened to read how enthused you were over the hotel and the special extra touches we include in our guestrooms; I hope this added to the comfort of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Lechlade
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed for a couple of nights last weekend in a Portland room.
Brilliant :-)
Big, airy and spacious with a mega-comfy bed.
All the gizmos worked and the whole in-room experience was first class.
The hotel bars and dining areas are beautiful... a bit pricey but not stupidly so.
The reception, check-in / out was simple and the doorman was most pleasant.
The location in Piccadilly is perfect for strolling anywhere you want to go around the West End.

All-in-all we had a great weekend and The Cafe Royal was the star of the show.... Thank you !!

Room Tip: We stayed in the most basic room and it had everything... No idea what else can possibly be extra in...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MandGLechlade
Thank you for sharing such a positive review on Café Royal hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Our guestrooms are some of the largest in London and we take pride that each feels almost like a suite or private apartment. David Chipperfield Architects was the lead architect in the hotel restoration, where modern elegance has been carefully paired with historical style and glamour. I will pass on your kind words to the rest of the team and I hope to welcome yo back to Café Royal hotel in the very near future.

Adelaide
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed at the Cafe Royal Hotel for 2 nights and it was great. It's in the best location for seeing everything in London. It has great staff and the hotel room itself is very spacious. I stayed In a Portland Deluxe Hotel room and it was huge. The only small thing was the switch for house keeping and the lights were close together I got accidentally turned the knob to service my room.... And got quite a fright when I woke up to house keeping coming into my room. Also when I checked In at 3.30pm my room still wasn't ready.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Many thanks for penning your kind words following your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us and that you our spacious rooms and our very central London location was well received. I can only extend my sincere apologies that your room was not immediately available when you first checked-in, but hope this did not spoil your stay. I very much look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to the capital.

Salcombe
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Great location for buzz of city life Piccadilly end of Regent Street, no problems with parking as helpful doorman whisked car away and brought back promptly when required. More golden key concierge than I have seen in a long while, all impressively efficient and very personable. Remember if you are visiting this year, it has been a mamouth project to redevelop this difficult site and bear with it, from what I here much is planned and it will be very special. There is a distinct style about it and with such choices there will always be an element of marmite, some will love while others wont appreciate it. Far better than the bland of a chain. Anthony Lee who affectionate's will know from The Connaught's hey day and The Mayfair's renaissance is now at the helm and the future is bright

Room Tip: The Green Bar for an intimate haunt
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Keith Makepeace
Thank you for penning your review about your recent stay at Café Royal hotel. I am very pleased to read of your appreciation of the renovation. Led by David Chipperfield Architects, Café Royal has been sensitively restored, maintaining historic detail but now combined with a modern and contemporary elegance. I am also happy to note your kind comments regarding our Concierge team. I do hope the team and I will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

Leicester, England
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Have just returned from a weekend theatre break (1night - 1/2 March) in London with my wife and son. This is truly an exceptional hotel. Staff are friendly attentive and the surroundings are beautiful. We booked the weekend indulgence package and on arrival were upgraded to a beautiful Portland Deluxe room. Room wasn't quite ready when we arrived and we were treated to tea and home made biscuits in the Ten Room. We arrived in our room which beautiful with B and O TV, all the gadgets but very user friendly and a massive and extremely comfy bed. But enough about the surroundings and not to mention the location, cannot be beaten for theatre - land!! What sets Cafe Royal Hotel apart is its food, just brilliant. We had the most amazing pre-theatre meal of tuna tartare (with radish and chilli), beef carpaccio (with truffle - exceptional) and then chicken and wild sea bass. Truly some of the best food we have had in London. Breakfast was equally good, beautiful pastries, exceptional bacon and sausage and perfectly cooked eggs, again with excellent service. Particular mention goes to the brilliant restaurant manager (the guy with the glasses) who served us on Saturday pre theatre dinner, he made our and our sons evening. We will definitely be back! Amazing experience....

Room Tip: Book your table for breakfast as it gets busy and even though there is a lot of restaurant choice in...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ansteytraveller1
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Café Royal hotel during your stay with us. I would firstly like to apologise for the delay in your room not initially being available. I am very pleased to read of your appreciation for the Portland Deluxe Guestroom and the amenities we provide. I have passed on your kind thanks to executive head chef Andrew Turner and his culinary team, who join me in thanking you for your patronage. We look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel soon.