“Awesome Bar”

Ranked #55 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Awesome Bar”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Popped in for pre-dinner drinks, having not been in this establishment for several years. Every aspect was perfect - the setting, atmosphere, decor, service. The attention to detail is most impressive. We had some lovely wine, and even the complimentary nibbles were exquisite - and ranged from peanuts to steamed Sea Bass!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
FrancoisSchoeffer, Director of Operations at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent visit to The Bar at Café Royal hotel. I was delighted you enjoyed your experience and thank you for your kind endorsement. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and to possibly experiencing Café Royal hotel.

Sincere regards

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The most amazing hotel, would have no hesitation in recommending it
Hotel staff the best I have ever had the pleasure to meet
Food is excellent, you must try the mash potatoe
If you can afford the price you must stay here!

Room Tip: All rooms are great but ask for an upgrade, you never know!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tracy L
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review of Café Royal hotel. I was delighted to read your comments about our team and have passed on your very kind comment regarding the 'mash potato' to my Executive Chef, Andrew Turner and his culinary team. I was delighted we met your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed November 13, 2013

A most wonderful stay, lovely room, clean and spacious.
Great, happy, attentive staf who nothing seems too much trouble.
Brilliant location situated by plenty of shops,restaurants and bars.
Will return, many thanks!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FrancoisSchoeffer, Director of Operations at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for your review ofCafé Royal hotel and I am very pleased that the service, rooms and location met your expectations. Thank you for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kalmar, Sweden
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I booked the hotel for a two night stay during a business trip. Prior to the arrival date I had a pleasant e-mail from the hotel, welcoming and asking for any special requirements as well as the arrival time to ensure smooth check in.
After 7 hours flight and drive from Gatwick, I arrived at around 15:30 and unfortunately the room wasnt ready. However the staff offered us a seat in the restaurant and coffe and tea. They handle it very well, but me and my collegue who arrived at the same time facing the same issue needed to fresh up and head to a meeting at 17:30. We waited for over 30 minutes and finaly got the rooms, and quickly left again for our meetings.
The rooms are probably some of teh largest in central London, we had a top floor but on the back side, facing offices on the other side, so had to keep the blinds down for some privacy. The interior is very well done, a bit Scandinavian with all the wood. The bath rooms are large and the design is absolute fantastic.
The hotel has just been renovated so everything works very well. There was however still some renovation going on, at least at our floor, and I could hear the contractors in the morning.
Cafe Royal, has some thelargest rooms I seen in central London, the location cannot get much better and you have two entrances for your car or driver to stand by if so needed.
Cleaning was very good and the room and all the preparations had personal touch. I just had a small incident where the used towels, which I put on teh floor where put back up again by thehousekeepers, I have my own way to mark teh towels I dont want to re use!
The staff are all 5 star, specially at the reception. The restaurant staff did a good job too an dattending quickly to anything. The light in therestaurant is a bit strange to me eyes though! Makes the room to feel kind of old, hard to describe, it is a bit to life less, if that is the right word.
The grill was fantastic, what a beautiful room and again the staff, wonderful
We also tried the bar, again very proffesional staff and great service.
I will definitly stay here again and come with my family, an dtry one of the suits but renovation cannot go on and thecheck in has to prompt, I know that the hotel management reads are comments here in TA, so I bet they will reply and re assure me about that.
I have stayed in many 5 star hotels in London, but I loved this one due to its staff, blend of modern and history and the location.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing teh Regent Street.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Chiefen72
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Café Royal hotel during your stay with us. I would firstly like to apologise for the delay you experienced at check in and I am disappointed to read that this service was not up to Café Royal hotel standards. The delay you experienced has been looked into to ensure the issue does not occur again. I am very pleased to read of your appreciation for the hotel’s large guest rooms and the design of the hotel. World famous David Chipperfield Architects has achieved a perfect balance between 21st century style and the retained grand historic public rooms of the 1860s and 1920s, which have been painstakingly restored in collaboration with Historic Building Architects, Donald Insall Associates. I would like to apologise for any noise you experienced; we are now in the very final stages of the restoration. I would like to welcome you personally upon your return to the hotel and I have sent my contact details by private message. Thank you also for your kind words regarding our staff and service; my first priority and that of my team, is service to our guests and I am so pleased you have experienced this first hand. Your comments will be passed on to relevant members of the team. I look forward to meeting and even exceeding your expectations further on your second stay at Café Royal hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The new Café Royal has an eclectic mix of old fashioned gilt and glitz with uber-modern minimalism. Think Marie-Antoinette meets Steve Jobs.
Service is attentive and friendly rather than servile or flunky-ish and it boasts two very good restaurants and a warm and welcoming bar. My room was very large with a superb view over Piccadilly circus - that felt quite iconic and it was very convenient to be able to make short excursions to neighbouring Soho and Leicester Square knowing that the hotel was very close by. Rooms are calm and very quiet despite the location. Would stay here again - it works for business but it would also work as a romantic weekend for two,

Room Tip: Some rooms have views across Piccadilly some do not but sleep quality does not seem to be an issue w...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tom S
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Café Royal hotel and I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed both the hotel and the location. Thank you for your comments regarding the service during your stay and I will pass these on to members of the team. I am very happy to learn of your appreciation for the design of the hotel and the comforts that the rooms have to offer. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal hotel.

Best Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013

i went for afternoon tea with a friend in ten room and we enjoyed it thoroughly. The deco and colour of the room is not very impressive but the food and the staff is amazing. we choose to have a afternoon tea with champagne for 45 pounds per person and own choice of tea from their long tea list. Our beautiful waitress from indian origin explained us the pastry and sandwiches and looked after us very attentively. Its a great place to go to have a nice service and food. Very good experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
FrancoisSchoeffer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing your Afternoon Tea experience at Café Royal hotel and I am very pleased to read that it was most enjoyable. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding the food and service and I will pass these on to members of the team. I hope to welcome you back to Café Royal hotel in the near future.

Kind regards
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

A fabulous birthday surprise for a champagne afternoon tea at this iconic London hotel,beautiful entrance lobby we were guided through by 2 charming doormen.
On reaching the afternoon tea area,we were efficiently greeted by name ,passing the most fabulous floral display of white hydrangeas,amaryllis in beautiful glass vases,stunning!
Our afternoon tea was such a treat,attentive staff and the most delicious arrangement of pastries,sandwiches and scones.A truly wonderful setting we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience,kept us going on the train journey home!
Reading other glowing reviews we can t wait to return and stay in this beautiful hotel

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samanthahollywood
Thank you for sharing your review on Café Royal hotel and I am delighted you enjoyed the Afternoon Tea. I am very happy to read that your experience as a whole was a positive one and I will pass on your kind words to our executive pastry chef, Andrew Blas and his culinary team with pleasure. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.