1,640 results
All reviewsregent streetoscar wildeafternoon teapiccadilly circusakasha spagrill roombang olufsenbathroom mirrorjunior suitehigh techin room diningluxury hotelbeautiful hotelbottle of champagnewest endthe ritzleicester square
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Café Royal is extremely well located in the heart of London. The building is an intriguing mix of old and new – often an old appearing veneer with modern conveniences and technology hidden behind. The Junior Suite was spacious and contemporary with a nice sitting area and huge bathroom. The bed was firm, but not uncomfortably hard. The staff and service were great. From breakfast to afternoon tea to room service and recommendations – the staff did everything they possibly could to make the stay enjoyable. They were responsive to my specific requests and I observed the staff responding graciously to custom requests from other guests. This relatively new hotel is clearly aiming to be in the top echelon of hotels – without any stuffiness. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 2teens
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Café Royal hotel and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. I am very happy to hear your appreciation for design of the guestrooms; designed by David Chipperfield Architects, these are some of the largest guestrooms available in London and we are delighted to read such positive comments about them. I will pass on your kind words to the team and we hope to welcome you back to Café Royal hotel in the near future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed there on my last business trip to London, as my usual hotel was closed for renovation.....i knew of the venue and the location, but was unaware that it had recently reopened as a grand hotel. And grand is the right word.

So, my first impressions were all positive. My driver managed to find his way to the side door after some manoeuvrings around regent street. I went in the side door, past the restaurant and into the reception from there. Staff were welcoming, friendly, approachable and diligent in processing my reservation.

I was escorted up to my room, with my 'guide' offering me some insight into the building and the history as well as the design aesthetic that was approached during the remodeling. I have to say they did an incredible job. The elevators alone have an old world charm you just dont see anywhere else. The communal areas are beautifully dealt with, and the old period features remain and are somehow enhanced by the fusion of the old and the Ultra-Modern.

My room was well equipped...Nespresso machine, Bang & Olufsen TV, spacious bed and great bathroom complete with a fantastic shower room complete with massive rain-shower and a marble bench seat.

In homage to the exterior of the building, and indeed Regent Street architecture, the interior of my room was clad in massive portland stone slabs which kind of gave it a 'cell-like' quality that seemed at odds with the old world luxury seen elsewhere in the hotel. By the end of my stay, i 'think' i was used to it, but im not really convinced i was. The rooms are very minimalist and it just seems odd to find a hotel that has zero artwork hanging on the walls. I dont mind minimalism, but even a piece of monochrome minimalist art on the walls would break up the institutional feel it had at times.

Now, that was the ONLY question mark i have against the place. The communal areas are sublime, the staff are brilliant, the restaurant and bars are equally wonderful, and all in all its a great place.

i did have an issue during my stay which i finally ended up having to call the front desk about. The B&O TV's are routed through an amplifier to speakers built into the walls to give a more enveloping sound from the TV. Apparently, the amplifier unit is in a cupboard by the front door of the room, and it was clearly faulty as it kept switching off and on, with a resulting loud 'click' being heard through the speakers everytime it did so. This went on through the night, which resulted in a badly broken sleep. By day 2 i could stand it no longer and called down to see if they could send someone up to investigate. He immediately pinpointed the problem, and although he didnt have a replacement, he disconnected it and removed it from my room - so at least the clicking stopped. That slight inconvenience aside, the stay was wonderful, the hotel refurbishment a triumph and a gorgeous blending of luxurious old and uber modern......

that institutional feeling bedroom though....i cant seem to shake that from my mind and still unsure whether it works ( for me at least).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time so provide such a detailed review on your stay with us at Café Royal hotel and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We are pleased to hear your appreciation for the renovation of the hotel and the design details that makes Café Royal hotel a contemporary and luxurious hotel for 21st Century travellers. I am delighted you liked the special added touches to our guestrooms and we hope this added to the comfort of your stay. I am sorry to hear that the Portland stone design was not to your liking; we also offer guestrooms with beautiful English fumed oak panelling which may be more to your taste.

I am very happy to read your comments regarding the service you received and I apologise for the technical issue you had in your guestroom, though I am glad this was sorted out efficiently and will be looked into to prevent any further issues in the future. Thank you once again for your comments and we hope you choose to stay with us again at Café Royal hotel.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Just opened a few weeks ago this old refurbished hotel is very nice and clean, staff is friendly and try to help in any needs (early check in,...) and is Professional, which is what we should expect from this kind of hotels, concierge help for shows, post show restaurant,...
Spa is nice with a great large pool, sauna is nice, large with 3 temperature zones, hammam needs to be fine tunes to be hotter. Fitness was not yet finished.

Room Tip: Maybe a high floor, was on the 2nd one, first room, a bit dark
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your positive review on Café Royal hotel and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. I am heartened by your kind comments about our team; our guests are paramount to us at the hotel so I am glad the service you received met your expectations. The Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Centre is still undergoing some finishing touches and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back once it is fully completed, to include a state of the art fitness centre.

Warm regards

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We were invited to Cafe Royal for a lunch, we were greeted by the restaurant manager who showed us to our table. We ate a three course lunch interspersed with little tasters. Our waiter, Emile, was very polite but also amusing, he helped us with our choice of food, he obviously has very good taste because our lunch was just amazing.
We would definitely recommend the Ten Room at Cafe Royal.
We thank Louis Sailer for his kind invitation.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TeddyWeaver

Thank you for your kind comments about your dining experience in the Ten Room at Café Royal hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed the cuisine offered and I will be sure to pass on your comments to Executive Chef Andrew Turner and his culinary team. Thank you also for your kind words regarding the service you received and we will pass these on to Emile and the team. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Despite its location on the fringe of Piccadilly Circus, the Cafe Royal Hotel manages to provide a huge contrast to the madness outside. The original parts of the grand old building are exquisite. For some, the rest of the minimal modern decor and architecture may seem a bit cold (this was my impression at first, though I love modern design). However - if a room with a nice set of windows or view is requested, the hotel will be calm by day and provide perfect sleep at night. The minimalism is welcome in a place like London. The staff is excellent - friendly, professional and welcoming. The only drawbacks: the beautiful new lap pool is not open in the mornings, aside from weekends. And although I enjoy mood lighting there is no usable light for packing or doing a task. I moved my luggage into the bathroom so I could see! Travelers with poor eyesight may wish to book elsewhere or request an extra lamp. I will have another short stay with the hotel later this week and am looking forward to it.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience at Café Royal hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay in our guestrooms and we will pass on your kind words to our team regarding the service you received. I am sorry the Akasha Pool was not open in the mornings during your stay; Akasha is still in the opening phase and will be fully opened in coming weeks, to include a start of the art gym. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back later this week.

Warmest regards