“time travel!”
Review of Hotel Cafe Royal

Hotel Cafe Royal
Ranked #55 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The hotel was great, the match from traditional and contemporary was amazing. I started to call the door between the elevator area and the rooms area the "time travel" door (you have to visit the hotel to understand it). Just amazing!
I will be back to see the Akasha spa once it opens.

Room Tip: The lower floors have a great design feature of having the "outside stones" copied into th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Café Royal during your stay with us. David Chipperfield Architects was the lead architect in the hotels restoration, where modern elegance has been carefully paired mixed with historical style and glamour.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future and would welcome the opportunity to showcase Akasha, our holistic wellbeing centre, when it opens later in the year.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

My daughter treated me to stay at the Cafe Royal this week andwould like to comment as follows. Thought the staff were very welcoming and the rooms superb. One thing missing - a mirror placed near a plug. Us girls can't do without our hair straighteners. The only thing we were very confused about was the bill every time we had a drink. They charged us £4.00 for food every time. We never asked for any food and every time they put nuts on the table they said they were complimentary. Bit strange to say the least. .still a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Café Royal during your stay with us. Any feedback is very important to me and I was disappointed to learn that on this occasion we failed to meet all of your expectations. Please be assured that measures have already been taken with the female traveller in mind.

Whilst your review kindly showed you had a very enjoyable stay, I was concerned to read your comment regarding the bill issue and would like to speak to you personally about this. I have sent you my contact number and email by private message.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Wonderful over night stay at the Cafe Royal. Rooms chic & minimalistic. No chintz here
Service was attentive but not in your face, nothing too much trouble.....so it seemed. Late night Concierge I felt was not on the ball when it came to getting a taxi for our guests, after what seemed an age one turned up. Surely a hotel of this calibre has a direct link to a taxi service whatever the time of day or night??

Ladies, imagined my horror at not being able to find a power point close enough to a mirror to use my hair straighteners....any mirror in fact. No dressing table either. In my view a big oversight on the design of the room. A small mirror was provided on request which had to suffice....not good. Hair dryer is provided in the bathroom but plug concealed behind sink unit (Portland). A miner thing you may say.....but not to us females. Next time we visit I have to remember to pack an extension lead.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CheriBCambridge
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Café Royal during your stay with us. Your Any feedback is very important to us and I was disappointed to learn that on this occasion we failed to meet all of your expectations. Please be assured that measures have already been taken with the female traveller in mind and my apologies if the process of getting a taxi was too timely.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future and would welcome the opportunity to showcase Café Royal to you in person.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

After a soft opening pre-Christmas this new kid on the block is starting to blossom.
The only pastry shop/café on Regent Street on the ground floor and the bar at the rear are becoming established. Pity they had no Canadian Club in the Bar though to make a Manhattan with.
The developing Grill Room will be enhanced with new food offerings in the future and the opening of the Domino Room shortly will I believe be quite exciting.
The suites are very contemporaryy in design, which is surprising yet pleasantly so, compared to the old style Café Royal décor which has thankfully been restored in the Pompadour and Grill Rooms.
Watch this long time favourite on Regent street continue to develop, they are off to such a promising start.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank siralex1

Thank you for your very kind comments about your recent stay at Café Royal. Canadian Club should have been available in The Bar in order to make the classic Manhattan – this item is normally stocked as part of our general bar offering, so I can only offer my sincere apologies you found this not to be the case. I was delighted to read such good comments regarding the design and planning of our guest areas, including The Café, the Domino and the Pompadour room. As you have experienced first-hand, the iconic Grill Room has been exquisitely restored to its original Louis XVI detailing and is now the place to enjoy Champagne, cocktails and a light British menu.

Thank you again for your very positive comments. I look forward to welcoming you back to Café Royal in the not too distant future and the perfect Manhattan awaits you with my compliments.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed at the Cafe Royal for one week while in London for business. The location was excellent; easy access to Mayfair and Soho restaurants and shopping, multiple Tube lines within walking distance. Staff are extremely friendly and polite. There is a US outlet installed in each guestroom which was very useful. A few issues, however:

- I asked for a 7am wake-up call my first evening and it never came; I woke up at 8:45am and scrambled to work an hour late. The manager called to apologize later, which I appreciated, but then only asked me to recall the name of the person I placed the request with

- The huge shower door swings in rather than out and there is no towel rack within the shower itself, which means you must step out and reach across the bathroom in the cold

- The blackout curtain in my room did not go across completely and a sliver of light from the building across the back street shone in all night

- The curtain controls did not seem to allow for partial closure, only all or nothing

- There was a party taking place on the ground floor my final night (Friday). I got in bed on the second floor close to midnight and could hear the bass thumping through the floor. When I called the front desk, they apologize and said there was nothing they could do unless I wanted to move rooms in the middle of the night

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank CMBNY

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Café Royal during your stay with us. I was delighted to read your comments regarding the hotel’s location and service; as your review has shown, my first priority and that of my team is service to our guests and I am so pleased you have experienced this first hand. However I was disappointed to learn that on this occasion we didn't meet all your expectations during your stay. I would like to speak to you personally about your comments and have sent you my contact number and email by private message

Reviewed May 3, 2013

It starts with the doorman who is an immediate friend, he is welcoming, friendly and helpful. Stepping off busy Regent Street on Friday at lunchtime into a rarified atmosphere of elegant luxury, from the marble floors to the stained glass windows above the revolving door entrance to the painted ceilings, everything is magnificent. It is all either original and perfectly restored or new and made to the highest standards. You might wonder why we have chosen to stay in a hotel about three miles from where we live and we would tell you if you asked that this is an opportunity to enjoy some of the highest standards of accommodation available in London. The recently opened Hotel in this important, landmark building in the old Cafe Royal where no expense has been spared to provide the most amazing experience in the heart of London's West end. David Chipperfield is the designer responsible for the stylish restoration of the interior an immaculate job has been done. The quality of materials and the attention to detail is unparalleled.

Reception is another warm and friendly experience; we are greeted as if we are family members. They are expecting our arrival and the room is immediately available even though we are early. Within twenty minutes of arrival we are looking at our room, a junior suite with a view of Piccadilly Circus. I hope the photos I have uploaded will give an accurate representation of this wonderful space. Firstly though, the lovely old lifts that take us up to our floor and the long oak lined corridors that lead to our room and the thick carpet that helps to make everything so quiet and peaceful. The room is big with a large, large bathroom with bath and shower, the furniture; sofa and armchair are upholstered in pastel shades of soft Italian leather. The bed is a giant marshmallow of sublime comfort. Oh this is so fantastic, and we are in the epi-centre of London's West End. We can (and do) eat in the Ten Room, brasserie style, restaurant downstairs, where we have eaten quite a few times before. The quality of the food here is outstanding including the breakfast next morning. Then we walk out of the hotel and wander into the West End: Soho, Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square. We walk down to the Thames and along to The Courtauld Gallery to see the Picasso exhibition from there to Bar Italia, do some shopping in Liberty's and come back to the hotel. This hotel is now high in our top ten. For us it is a luxury but it is an experience that we will always remember.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more than you can afford and have a wonderful memory forever. If they have availability...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JohnMealyer
LouisSailer, General Manager at Hotel Cafe Royal, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive and glowing review of your stay at Café Royal hotel. As you review has shown, my team enjoy going the extra mile and always aim to exceed our guest’s expectations. The hotel has been designed for the 21st century traveller; our 159 guestrooms are larger than the average for a central London hotel, all are beautifully decorated, with state of the art Bang & Olufsen entertainment system, media hub and complimentary Wi-Fi, with large under-floor heated Carrara marble bathrooms as standard. The location of the hotel is ideal for leisure and business traveller, in the heart of London’s West End with the elegance of Mayfair to the west and the creativity of Soho to the east; London’s iconic sights are within walking distance, including theatreland. Thank you once again for your heartfelt recommendation and my team and I and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards, Louis Sailer, General Manager

Reviewed April 29, 2013

On a recent visit to my daughter in London I stopped at the Cafe Royal for the night. From the moment we walked through the impressive entrance we were treated as if we were the only people that mattered! The doorman, the reception staff were so helpful and friendly escorting us to our amazing room. We were shown how everything worked within the room, attention to detail....perfect! We had dinner in 'Ten' and again the restaurant staff were very attentive to all our needs. The food was amazing as was the champagne and wine! We went to the theatre afterwards so the location of the hotel was perfect, although in a busy area once inside you would not know. After the theatre we returned to the hotel and went to the Grill for drinks and again looked after by friendly attentive staff. Thank you everyone for making my stay so perfect!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your most positive review of your stay at Café Royal hotel and for highlighting many of the best features of the hotel so succinctly. As your review has so comprehensively shown, my teams first priority is service to our guests and I am so pleased you have experienced this first hand. Our guestrooms are larger than the average for a central London hotel. Our informal British all-day dining restaurant offers a seasonal menu, whilst the iconic Grill Room, originally established in 1865, has been exquisitely restored to its original Louis XVI detailing and is now the place to enjoy Champagne, cocktails and a light menu. The hotel is also perfectly positioned for London’s iconic tourist landmarks, Westminster and Buckingham Palace, Covent Garden, the Royal Opera House and London’s fine Royal Parks, Hyde Park and Regents Park and with theatreland only around the corner; Café Royal is perfectly positioned in the heart of London. I am really pleased you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards, Louis Sailer, General Manager