“Are you kidding me?!?!?”
Review of Euro Hotel Clapham

Euro Hotel Clapham
Ranked #887 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Cheap for a reason.. A room undergroud with drunken teenaagers coming back at 6am, any burp or fart can be heard through the walls, and the rooms underground feel like caves; no window and no aircon, just a fan!!!
Breakfast; a coffee machine which regardless whether you want it or not puts creamer in everything, just white toast and jam or plain cheap cereal.
There is a Costa coffee down the road, it's just worth going there instead!
Never in a milion years will I repeat this awful experience!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Chiara S

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Me and my best friend decided to plan little trip to Cardiff and London this september. We decided for cheap hotels, because we wanted to save our money for the actual trip and don't spend too much on place, where we are going to sleep. I knew well, what to expect from two star hotel with breakfast, so my expectations weren't really high. I expected some normal room, with two normal beds, some sort of shower and toilet. That was all. Besides, we were staying only for three nights, what could possibly go wrong?
Well, the list started with the fact we had to wait like half an hour, standing in front of reception, before somebody decided, we are worth his attention. We were tired, exhausted and wanted to sleep, because the very next day, we had to be up really early. So, when we finally got our room, we had to carry our luggage down to the place, which smelled like a basement. And in my opinion, even basement would be more comfortable! We got a room, without a window!!! So we went to ask to the reception, how is it possible we have room without window and air-condition is impossible to turn on. He gave us a remote control to it (Why didn't he do it right away?!), but remote control didn't work either! Instead of coming down to help us, he send someone else, who apparently had no idea what to do, just like us. Why? Because he didn't want to go downstairs!!! At the end, we were promised new room tomorrow. So, we gave up for that day and went to sleep, with opened doors to get at least some fresh air!
The very next day we had to leave hotel before breakfast, but we rather dared not to ask for breakfast package. We didn't want our day completely ruined before it started and also, we needed to catch the tube, which shamefully didn't work much that morning. When we came back around five pm and tried to ask for a new room, we were told to come in the morning. When I asked if we would get a new room if we came that day at six, since we didn't really come to London to sit all day at hotel room, the lady said that no. So we went back to our "room" and spent another two nights with opened doors.
A week after I came back, I realized, that not only this "fun" cost me 189 pounds, which I was calculating with, but also, the hotel took off from my bank account another 65 pounds in the time I still could cancel the reservation and another 124 pounds two hours after I paid for my reservation alredy! Those another 189 pounds stayed blocked at my account for next week, so I got into serious trouble for that!
As a review, I would accept thin walls just fine, just like I would have no problems with the busy street just under my window, if I had one! I would even ignore blocation of my money, if the hotel was damn worth it! But we didn't get to sleep properly, we spent half of our time in London scared for our stuff and I am not even talking about breakfast, because that was mentioned here many times. (And i wouldn't really mind it, if there wasn't anything else).
So, my advice is easy. Do not go there! And if you alredy have you reservation, please, check your bank account and do not accept room B7 (the one where we were).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank FaithNana
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The location is good and the staff friendly but whoever owns this hotel should make more of an effort, spend some money on the rooms and they and meet some minimum standards. The smell of damp was aweful bathroom was falling apart and there was no phone reception let alone WiFi. Spend a bit more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I am standing in this 'hotel' while I write this! Terrible doesn't even come close to discribing this place! To begin with, the guy at the front desk argued with me over the room that we booked even though I had an email stating I booked a triple room, he repeatedly told me I was wrong! We finally got keys an checked in then he proceeded to argue again that I had not booked breakfast, even though the email stated this also! We then walked up 6 flights of stairs with 6 bags! Our room was so tiny you had to walk sideways to get in! The bathroom door hit the bed because there wasn't enough room! The beds were so uncomfortable from the springs poking in your back all night! We tried to 'upgrade' and were told that it would be an extra £100 per night!!!! I am positive the other rooms would not have been worth a $200 per night increase on the $150 per night we had already paid! A backpackers hostel would have been better! It's a $60 can ride from the city! And the area is pretty dodgy! The only saving grace is, it's a 5 minute walk to the underground and takes about 40 minutes to the city centre by changing trains! Breakfast is toast and communal 'tubs' of cereal that people sneeze over! YUK! Do Not Stay Here! Spend the extra and stay somewhere else, your back and shoulders will thankyou for it!!! You will regret staying here!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We didn't expect much having read the previous reviews, but I feel that some people's expectations of an establishment which is plainly a budget hotel and makes no claims otherwise are on the high side.
At £54 for a double room with continental breakfast, my requirements were few and all met.
The staff were friendly, the room was spotless with clean sheets, comfortable bed, good shower and breakfast was fine, as much toast and cereal as you can eat.
I also loved the buzz of Clapham when we went out to eat.
I feel that we had good value for the price and would happily stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2013

we were a family with a kid ,stayed for 5 days. two minutes walking distance to tube station (Clapham-South).It has a frontage to a play ground and a pond which is beautiful.Rooms were comfortable.Some reception staff were not helpful it seems that they were not aware of what hospitality is all about.But the manager was helpful and understood the customer requirements.food outlets,shops available in the vicinity.
seven Eleven shops and other shops available which is sufficient to purchase little things you need during short vacation.

Room Tip: select rooms in the first floor since it is a little inconvenience to take luggage to upper floors.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2013

On 9 April I attempted to make an on-line booking for 8-10 June at Euro Hotel Clapham but inadvertently ended up with 2 cancelled bookings and a charge for both rooms. I rang the Clapham Hotel (from New Zealand) and spoke to a staff member who assured me than I wouldn’t be charged if I didn’t have a current booking. Within the next few days the website corrected the booking to show 1 current plus 1 cancelled booking however the charges for both remained.
Following correspondence with Euro Hotel and supplying copies of the WorldPay transactions on 16 April I was told it would be referred to their head office and was asked to give Euro hotels two weeks to sort the matter as they were updating their World Pay extranet log in. My initial goodwill was dashed when two weeks later there had been no action except the webpage now showed two current bookings.
I contacted Euro Hotel Clapham on 2 May by email and was told the person who deals with refunds (Mr Pritam) was due back from holiday and they would endeavour to follow up the case but I might like to contact him direct (email supplied). I sent emails to Mr Pritam on 2 May, 8 May, and 9 May and received no response from Head office. In the interim my travel plans changed and I chose to cancel (rather than amend) my initial booking and notified Euro Hotel on 14 May. Do note the website does not allow for any cancellations!
By this time I realized that Euro Hotel Clapham had no intention of addressing the issue of the double booking and it appeared highly unlikely that they would deal with the ensuing cancellation. On this basis I then contacted my bank and their disputed transactions team but continued to try and get some response from Euro Hotel by emailing Head Office, Euro Hotel Clapham and sending messages through their webpage but all to no avail.
On 22 May I rang Euro Hotels head office trying to contact Mr Pritam (unsuccessful) but was assured by the staff that they would follow the matter up. The next day (23 May) I received an email from Euro Hotel Clapham staff asking for further copies of the WorldPay transactions and on 30 May (after yet another email from me) I was asked to provide my card details so they could “process further…it’s not very long now….”.
Still no action and after my continued emails to both Mr Pritam and Euro Hotel Clapham on the 11 June the hotel staff conceded the issue and referred me direct to the area manager – guess who? Mr Pritam Kotian!!!!
My bank by then were involved and managed to recover the monies – one payment on 17 June (10 weeks) and the other on 4 July(7 weeks).
Under no circumstances would I EVER book accommodation with Euro Hotel nor recommend it. I am under no illusion that the only reason I got my money back was due to my bank's involvement –as an individual they would have continued to ignore me until I gave up.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple