“Very fair value for London”
Review of Euro Hotel Clapham

Euro Hotel Clapham
Ranked #885 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Global
“Very fair value for London”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We paid only £42 for a double room which is great value for anywhere in London even on a Monday night in February. At that price it's not surprising that the room was relatively basic. There was plenty of minor chipping to the paintwork especially on the metal framed chair and the harsh, bright lights were anything but romantic (the only approximation to a dimmer switch was turning on the television and turning off the main lights). We had a kettle and coffee provided in the room but there wasn't a fridge. The mattress was relatively low tech but fairly new. Duvets very thin but the heater worked extremely well and was quite responsive so room warmed quickly. Basic breakfast of sorts was included in the price.

Note that there's a very similar Euro Lodge about one block further south. Both are overlooking Clapham Common across a busy road, though our room was high up (no lift) with no road noise worries.

Useful for drivers is the handy free parking from 8pm to 9am in the side streets nearby.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Asad H, General Manager at Euro Hotel Clapham, responded to this review, February 19, 2013

Kind regards,
Asad Huda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Forest, UK
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Mixed.
Summary..Quick check in, they were on top of that paperwork. No plug in bathroom (couldnt shave) &ineffective shower. sink the size of my hand (literally see photo if it uploads).

Wireless(hotel) worked at first...but then was totally clogged up. So that service is touch and go.

Dont bother getting up for the breakfast. I would go again if there was a gig on and I would treat it as a kind of hostel. (I was there for a club night in Brixton), but don't choose to go there on a romantic trip, as rooms small.

(1) Friendly reception. Although I did find it slightly amusing when I walked up to the reception desk and was told that check in was not until 1500. It really was 1459....I waited outside the hotel for 10 minutes so I was not too early.

(2) Their paperwork seemed in order. They seemed efficient on this part. I booked my room months before and they flicked through the pre-organised file for the bookings that day.

(3) I booked the hotel through a (separate) website. The hotel had the information no problem. However I thought (at time of booking) that the website said that money would be paid at hotel on arrival. However in the email (after booked) the email said that the money would be taken out at time of booking. And the latter was the case.So be prepared to have the money taken out your account, no matter what the website says.

(4) The hotel was clean. Infact they were scrubbing the fountain thing at the entrance when I arrived. The front of the hotel was clean. No litter, no chewing gum and no cigarette ends outside. They obviously have work hard on keeping that area clean.

(5) The room (421) was small. Just enough room to walk around the double bed. There was no wardrobe. Just hangers hanging on a hook (see photo if it uploads). The bed was comfortable and clean (although the skirting was falling off...it needs to be attached properly and not just tucked in by the bedmakers). The room was warm in the winter (but keep the unheated bathroom door closed because that is cold).

(6)The shower was poor. It only came out at a very slow speed , just more than a dribble, and it was not hot enough. Time of shower 1040am for an 11am checkout.

(7) Whilst the room was clean and the cleaners had obviously done a good job there, because the bathroom was so small (see photos if they come through) there were signs of toothpaste residue on the floor around the sink. The sink was so small (the size of my hand (see photo)) and tucked in the corner, I think previous people could not help spilling bits of toothpaste on the floor while brushing teeth.I noticed some finger nail clippings in the corner by the shower. Basically the vacuum nozzle needs to be run along into the corner and not the normal vacuum head used. But I have to say I am being picky on that.The room was clean.

(8) There was no plug in the bath sink that was the size of my hand. The room kettle used would not fit in the sink.

(9) On checkout I raised these points. But the gentleman did not note them down , or did not seem interested, with that typical quietness assuming issues will melt away.I stayed and watched him for 20 minutes before checking out. And it was never mentioned or discussed. For that alone I nearly rated the hotel down another point.

(10) Forget the breakfast.

(a)The so called juice (unlabelled on the machine) was so weak/watered down I am not even sure it should be called juice.

(b) I made a tea but there was nowhere to put the teabag afterwards, excepting getting another cup.

(c) The toast was cold. I am not sure why these "breakfasts" are called Continental breakfasts. I had some student time in Norway and Denmark, and fish breakfasts and cheese etc are *real* 'continental' breakfasts.

(11) I would again , only if I was going to another club event in Brixton and alone. I would not want to go as couple trying to get romantic with each other.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Mike F
Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating all negative points accordingly.

Kind regards,
Asad Huda
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My view of eurohotel clapham is a good one. It is very clean. The staff i met was very friendly and helpful too. I think euro hotel is definitely better than euro lodge but they are the same company and just side by side, a stone throw to each other if you like. I really enjoyed my stay there and always go back there anytime i need a hotel. Even the single rooms have hair dryers, tea facilities and bathrooms and ...oh, i could go on all day. It's just lovely. Sited on the high street, with restaurants, tesco, sainsburys, kebab shops and a beautiful chinese take away restaurant called Mayflower just very close to clapham south station and this hotel is very close to the tube station, clapham south tube station. So, highly recommended. You won't regret you chose it. Trust.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
London Engalnd
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed here from dec21st for a few weeks as my house was unfortunately flooded out and I was placed here by my local authority.All in all it wasnt as bad as I expected.We were put in a lovely room (8023)with lcd tv with 3 single beds with a beautiful ensuite bathroom.Breakfast was very basic although it says continental its not.its toast with butter or jam, choice of 3 cereals,tea,coffee,orange and apple juice. Hotel fairly clean.Most staff are friendly. Location is great as you have either clapham common tube station which is 10 mins walk or clapham south station which is 5 mins walk also has a few bus links with clapham junction station not being to far away. i would stay again if needed too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
winchester
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We booked this place for a reason. As four blokes attending a gig nearby, we wanted a bed for a few hours at the cheapest price possible.
We arrived at 9.30pm, and we're greeted in a pleasant enough manner. The place is clean throughout and the beds comfy. Plenty of hot water, everything basic but essentially clean and functional. We went to the gig and got back to the hotel at 3am. This was fine as the reception is 24hrs and security were happy to help us find our room again!!
The road outside was noisy, but this is on Clapham Common people, and it's £50 for four people to stay and they give you breakfast!
I would stay here again as a "flop base" with mates, but it would never enter my mind to take the Mrs here on a romantic break- its budget price and very basic, only book if it's a clean comfy bed you are after, don't expect luxury and then complain about it as if you had booked the Ritz!

On the whole, very happy with what we got here, thanks guys!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank hanandjay
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We booked at twin room with breakfast, was £40 (for both) for the night, being London and cheap price, I wasn't expecting much! However pleasantly surprised! It is a five minute walk from the tube station, we walked to brixton academy from here, that took 25 minutes. The reception area is very small but nice, the room was a pretty decent size and very clean, for some reason we had four beds! We had our own private bathroom, this was also clean and everything works! Pretty pleased with the place, safe, easy and clean, and at the price for London, you can't complain! If I was in the area again and needed a room for the night, I would book here again :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jojobean91
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed on 02/12/12

After reading shocking reviews on this hotel I was dreading my stay but was pleasantly surprised!

We stayed here because we were goin to a gig at brixton academy (a mile and half away, £12 in taxi)

Check in was quick and easy which is always good and staff were friendly!
our room was on the third floor but wasn't a lift which is honestly the only fault I could find about this hotel!
The room was nice with everything you would need! (tv, tea and coffee making facilities and hair dryer) and everything was clean which was a shock after reading other reviews. The beds were very clean and comfortable!

Nearest shops are no more than a minute walk away which includes a big Tesco and a Sainsburys local!
Clapham south tube is 2 minutes walk away which takes you anywhere around London!
The hotel is also looking over Clapham common which is really nice!
Dont let people that find faults with everything put you off staying here like I nearly did!

• Stayed December 2012