“You get what you pay for”
Review of Euro Hotel Clapham

Euro Hotel Clapham
Ranked #885 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I booked a twin room for a girl friend and I as we were going to see a concert in Brixton. I live in East London but decided to book a hotel to make it easier to get back after. The area around the hotel is lovely, opposite the common, trendy bars along the street and easy walks to Balham and Clapham Junction which are nice areas. When we arrived we were told that the twin room I had booked wasn't available so we got a double (I was half expecting this anyway from reading reviews) but the staff were really friendly about it and showed us to a small, clean double and clean en suit. The only problem with the room was the telly wasn't working (the plug had been cut off) The staff on reception were more than happy to book us a mini cab to take us to Brixton and when I left my camera in the taxi I told them when I got back and they managed to get it back for me. For the rates you pay and for the area this is a good hotel. If you're not willing to pay for the goods then don't expect the best. I wouldn't take a boyfriend here for a romantic weekend but as a place to crash for a few nights (especially if drink is involved) then it was perfect, friendly helpful staff and great area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Literally the worst hotel i have ever stayed in. Absolutley disgusting, didn't get the room i booked being a twin as i was sharing with my older brother, only to be told we had to share a double which wasn't ideal. It was so filthy and HOT with no aircon, the bathroom smelt utterly vile, the internet wouldn't connect, and the mattress was awful. Not an enjoyable nights sleep. The 'continental breakfast' was a joke. A few asda smart price rice krispies and a slice of toast, how very continental of them!

In a word just don't stay hear. To make things even worse you can literally hear EVERYTHING going on in the rooms around...

Room Tip: Just don't.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

This has to be the worst hotel I've ever had the misfortune to stay in! The room is so small you can hear people sleeping next door and the cleanliness of the shower was shocking! There was long black hairs all on the bottom of the shower floor, what looked like body matter smeared on the glass and the shear size of it was something to be seen. The room and bedroom area was smaller than the avarage room in a shared house in London (Not big at all)
It was so hot in there, I could not even entertain the thought of getting under the "Ridicolously thin and dirty cover" as there is no air con at all. Also, the TV never had any signal, or dis the TV have a remite contral! And when i asked reception for one he said that he kerps them diwn stairs at reception? If corse i said "Whats the point in that, as the TV is in the Room?" he looked bemused and gave me one for a completly different make and modal, which took the best part of 20 minutes! And now for the best part, the shocking service! If you thought Basil Fawlty had issues then think again. The services was so bad, he never even mad eye contact with me and as he was checking me in, he decided to show people around the dining area. I urge anyone with any personal hygiene, likes their sleep, their food, their space and likes the normal basic service out of a Hotel to AVOID this place at all costs! You're better of sleeping in the common across the road! At least there is lots of room, the people are friendlier, it's cooler, the food is better (Even if you find it in the bin) and its cheaper!

I stay in Hotels 4 times a week for my job and I've been doing my job for 15 years and it's the 2nd worst place I've stayed in. The worst being a Hotel in Cambodia.

Finally, Good luck to whoever stays there!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Staff are rude, rooms are less than desirable - even the refurbished ones, bathrooms often dirty. you can get much better value for money than this place!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2012

London to Brighton Bike ride
This is the second time i have stayed at this hotel.
The first time was just as bad.
Arrived on the 16/06/12 at 12:30 to see if we can register and possible go to our pre boooked twin room.
Firstly the receptionist told us that she could not see a booking for us. Then the deputy duty manager found our booking, but then told us that due to water damage we could not have our room. An offer of putting us up in one of your other hotels, Croydon or Crystal palace, apparently some 20 minutes taxi ride. The main reason for us stay and BOOKING at Clapham is that we were doing the London to Brighton bike ride. The start being at Clapham Common.

Also being informed that we should be better staying the Croydon hotel as its further done the route so we would do less cycling, not the point. After my cycling Partner explained that this was booked some time ago through late rooms. . after several minutes a possible solution was found, a double room. Not the best solution but let’s see it.
The room was just big enough for the bed and the TV and the shower was newly installed so clean. The options were a yes or no. So we said yes. After getting back to our room we found a Party going on in the room opposite, which in its self was not too much. The issue was that a block of rooms had an entrance door, with a swipe card. The problem was that the young guest turning up for the party kept banging on the outer door. The people in the party room could not hear because the music and shouting was too loud. We were just about to have words if it continued, but it quieted down just before 11:30.
We were able to get some sleep 4 ½ hours and get ourselves down to Brighton, raising £500 for the British Heart Foundation.
I would like to say that this will be the last time I use you hotel as a base for the London to Brighton and possible the last time were do the ride. It would get too expensive to stay in a Hotel that one you book the room you are guaranteed the room not some feeble excuse. This is the second year in a row that this happened.
I will be adding my entre to Trip advisor and other sites that will be able to give people the heads up on your hotel procedures. One of which should be to ring, email or have some other way of letting the customer know that you can’t

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chris W
Reviewed June 17, 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Johan W
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This hotel is in a great, central location for exploring London. It is inbetween 2 tube stations and also on direct bus routes to Westminster. Clapham Common is opposite which is great for an evening walk. On the downside... the hotel is severely in need of refurbishment, updating and a good clean!! We stayed in a room at the back of the hotel, which meant that we weren't disturbed by the (quite heavy) traffic on the road. The rooms are very basic, with tea facilities and a hairdryer. Our trouser press had no plug! The bathroom left a lot to be desired. It was extremely small, there was back mould spots on the walls and no plug in the sink. Breakfast consisted of toast, a choice of cereals, tea/coffee and fruit juice. Food was fine but not much of a seating area so best to go down to breakfast early or you may end up standing! In summary, if you need somewhere in a great location, cheap and not very cheerful this is ideal.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family