“Awful hotel”

Ranked #1,020 of 1,069 Hotels in London
cork
“Awful hotel”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a week and made the grave mistake of booking a non refundable booking . After reading the reviews here I was not looking forward to my stay and had tried to cancel it but to no avail.
I arrived around 7pm in the evening to find that my room was not ready and was told that i would have to wait half an hour to check in .At this stage I was tired and not in the mood to wait but agreed to come back . The manager was not at all friendly, he tried to show me into the empty restaurant and was insistent i waited there but i refused . When i returned , the room still wasn't ready and there was no sign of anybody , again i was shown to the restaurant and told to wait . Eventually i was given the key to my room and set off to find it . Thankfully my suitcase had already been put in the room as I had pointed out , I was not dragging it around with me while I waited .
The room was at the tool of several stairs and I can safely say it was not worth the wait .It was extremely small and shabby . I went to sit on the bed and noticed several hairs and stains all over the sheet A bit much as I had already had to wait while they supposedly cleaned it . At this point i was fairly irate so I went and spoke to the manager who was neither friendly or apologetic and more or less waved me away , telling me to go back to the room and wait for it to be cleaned .
The service overall is appalling The rooms are filthy and noisy . The management are rude and extremely unprofessional I would not stay here again under any circumstances , in fact if the booking hadn't been prepaid , I wouldn't have stayed at all Absolutely awful !1 Do not go near it

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank saraconse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Leeds England
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Room dirty. Shower filthy. No towels. Window would not close, so traffic and railway noise all night. Insisted on cash payment although web site says cards accepted - manager kindly told me where to get cash. Parking was a joke - on pavement.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else - Victoria coach park must be better.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tayen

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

London
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have been there for one night and i will definitelly not go again.The bed looked like it wasn't changed.Bed sheet stained and with hairs.Walls stained,bathroom disgusting.
Helpful stuff,as they changed the bedding straight away.
However,if you are looking for a clean place,avoid this hotel,as it is far from this.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dana C
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This hotel is not 5 Star.

My room was many stairs up to the second floor and there was no lift. I had to skip breakfast as it was fried eggs and toast; no boiled eggs. I could smell cooking oil in the mornings, and there were stains of it one of the towels provided, which also smelled generally of cooking oil. It was noisy on some nights. It was my first experience of having to hand in my key at the reception every time I left for the day and then collect it back upon my return. I shared my room with some kind of insect or fly each day. Not the cleanest en-suite. The shower curtain and bathroom walls were dirty.

However, there is a daily supply of sachets of Eden Shampoo & Conditioner, and Soap. The men are okay who take the payment (in cash, as the card payment machine is not working). The food eating hall is spacious. The bed is comfortable, clean and made every day. The towel was changed on the third or fourth day and it was cleaner than the first ones. There is a TV in the room although not all channels are available. The hotel is not vey expensive. Buses (29, 341, 141, etc) are readily accessible about 6 minutes walk to Endymion Road that lead to towns such as Manor House, Finsbury Park, Angel, Waterloo, and other desirable towns. Market stalls, supermarkets and bigger superstores (such as, Sainsbury's, Argos, Poundland, Boots) are within easy reach.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jacqueline O
Western Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel should be struck off STA travels preferred list, my 70 year old mother was recommended to stay here. The rooms were horrible the safety ( doesn't exist) and the rooms a HOVEL! DO NOT STAY here!

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank estell78
Devon
Reviewed May 30, 2013

All these bad reviews are exaggerating just a lil bit lol Me and my GF stayed here about 2 weeks ago and I actually read the reviews on the train just before we arrived and prepped my gf to 'expect the worst'. Realistically though it wasn't that bad. Yeh it could probs do with a clean, yeh there was a pest control trap under the bed (was only a bit of sticky paper hardly a huge mouse trap), Yeh the shower head was broken but the bed was clean, the staff were nice enough and location wise it was awesome! Literally 20 secs walk to the train station and took us like 15mins to get from camden on a night bus! Love it! If you are paying this kind of money for a room then don't expect luxury. It's pretty much like staying at a uni students place. Basic but it does the job. We are on our way to london again today and was gonna stay here again but was booked up. If you literally just need a place to crash on a budget and are not expecting 5 star luxury then it's not a bad choice. Obviously there is way better but its not as bad the as reviews below say.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chris H
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed for one night and the place was filthy, the rooms weren't ready when we arrived (2.5 hours after check in), the walls were filthy and there were large vermin traps under the bed, the shower was broken off the wall and the TV didn't work. The "full english breakfast" provided was two slices of toast, 2 fried eggs and a spoonful of beans. One of the guys I was with had kids drawings and writing on the walls in his room whereas a guy I spoke to in the dining hall found blood on his walls and questionable white stains down the side of his bed.

The guy in reception was adamant I hadn't paid the £70 for the room already until I showed him my credit card statement on my phone. After that he said the triple room I had booked wasn't available so he'd have to give me a single and a double, which was more expensive, but he "had to do it" as if he was doing me a favour.

I was only in London for a gig so needed somewhere I could crash out afterwards and this did the trick as far as that was concerned, but very little else.

Train station very close by as is a decent pub and some good food places/takeaways.

Room Tip: Don't book here.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends