“It's not that bad!”

London Shelton Hotel
Ranked #1,017 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 30, 2013

All these bad reviews are exaggerating just a lil bit lol Me and my GF stayed here about 2 weeks ago and I actually read the reviews on the train just before we arrived and prepped my gf to 'expect the worst'. Realistically though it wasn't that bad. Yeh it could probs do with a clean, yeh there was a pest control trap under the bed (was only a bit of sticky paper hardly a huge mouse trap), Yeh the shower head was broken but the bed was clean, the staff were nice enough and location wise it was awesome! Literally 20 secs walk to the train station and took us like 15mins to get from camden on a night bus! Love it! If you are paying this kind of money for a room then don't expect luxury. It's pretty much like staying at a uni students place. Basic but it does the job. We are on our way to london again today and was gonna stay here again but was booked up. If you literally just need a place to crash on a budget and are not expecting 5 star luxury then it's not a bad choice. Obviously there is way better but its not as bad the as reviews below say.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chris H

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed for one night and the place was filthy, the rooms weren't ready when we arrived (2.5 hours after check in), the walls were filthy and there were large vermin traps under the bed, the shower was broken off the wall and the TV didn't work. The "full english breakfast" provided was two slices of toast, 2 fried eggs and a spoonful of beans. One of the guys I was with had kids drawings and writing on the walls in his room whereas a guy I spoke to in the dining hall found blood on his walls and questionable white stains down the side of his bed.

The guy in reception was adamant I hadn't paid the £70 for the room already until I showed him my credit card statement on my phone. After that he said the triple room I had booked wasn't available so he'd have to give me a single and a double, which was more expensive, but he "had to do it" as if he was doing me a favour.

I was only in London for a gig so needed somewhere I could crash out afterwards and this did the trick as far as that was concerned, but very little else.

Train station very close by as is a decent pub and some good food places/takeaways.

Room Tip: Don't book here.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kyl3thund3r
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Everyone is saying it!!! This is the worst hotel I have ever been in. It's like something off of a horror film! I literally nearly cried when I sat on the bed, the thought of staying there scared me so much! There were pest control traps under the bed, the towels were dirty and the neighbourhood was rough!! We felt unsafe there so left instantly, no refunds given so £50 lost but I'd rather pay £100's than stay there!! I'm sure the manager is nice enough, he seemed quite polite but something about that place gave me the creeps!!! Listen to everyone on here and do not go! We found another hotel at the same price 20mins away which was 100% better.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Jaz127
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Had to stay at this awful hotel because the hotel we booked through Booking.com, The Beconsfield Hotel, was overbooked and they arranged for us to stay in this dump and at short notice on the evening before the London Marathon we had no choice. There were bare wires, disgusting stains on the sheets, our room furniture was a plastic garden chair, there were stains on the carpet and for some reason over the walls too. I moved the bed and found a load of filth behind it and on the skirting board. Also no battery in the smoke alarm and a broken window. If anybody is thinking of staying here I would seriously think again. The worst place we have ever stayed. I have forwarded photographs to Booking. Com.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tina L
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Price is what attracted me and I basically got what I wanted: a bed with clean sheets, a toilet and shower that worked and a kettle to make tea or coffee.
The hotel is shabby, which is fair enough, but also, unfortunately, rather grubby. Some brisk scrubbing of tiles and bathroom surfaces would help, as well as steam cleaning of the carpets.
It was disappointing that during my week there the television reception was very erratic!

Room Tip: Try for a room that doesn't face on to Wightman Road.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Well, where do I start...... Thankfully it was only 1 night! Its dirt cheap for a reason.

I arrived with bags out of a taxi and struggling with them. The tiny reception was packed with a family/friends gathering. I literally had to lean around a door to sign paperwork as no-one was polite enough to even move to make it easier.for me. In fact I think it was a hassle that I had the audacity to check in which disturbed their little gathering!!!!

I made my way to my room, which no-one really told me where it was. I was just shown a corridor!!!
I eventually found it, but due to there being no signage, I wandered around the wrong floor for ages. There were some un-nerving sights on my way round, which made me worry.
I walked into my room to find loads of flies...... IN LONDON, IN FEBRUARY!!!!! The room's window was left open, for reasons unbeknown to me. Unfortunately I am blessed with not being able to smell, so I cannot tell you if the rooms smelt damp BUT....
the small bathroom had a shower and a toilet. The shower had a curtain but no tub. The water literally ran out of the bathroom into the room...... I assume that this is genuinely a problem. Like I said I can't smell, thankfully!!!
The room was pretty bad in terms of upkeep - however the bed was actually quite comfy!
I genuinely feared that my room would be broken into while I was out of the hotel! Who knows what shenanigans could go on where unsuspecting travellers are involved.
The TV lost signal regularly.
The breakfast was ok - limited but ok, apart from the fact a few people that were arguing in French quite loudly.

I was so glad it was only one night!

SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour - Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Bignbeefy
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Filthy, stained, greasy red carpet throughout and paintwork yellowed by years of neglect and nicotine. Disgusting room with stained walls and carpet. Internal TV ariel on top of the cupboard/wardrobe that had no doors. Bad DIY bathroom - and breakfast! No bacon or sausage. In fact no meat available at all. Fried egg, two slices of toast and a couple of table spoons of baked beans.
An absolute dump. Booked because of convenience of location to business meeting. I should have checked Trip Advisor first. Awful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business