“Cheap and cheerless”

London Shelton Hotel
Ranked #1,017 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 3, 2012

But they've set themselves a particular level and standard of service and don't pretend to go above it. The room was clean, the beds comfortable and the bedding good. The building's a bit run down, but at £50 a night for a couple with breakfast thrown in, it would be churlish to complain. Oh, the breakfast is only toast, egg and bakes beans. Or if you don't want a cooked breakfast, just toast. Transport links to Central London are superb - Harringey station is 30-seconds walk across the road. And there's a terrific Tapas bar and restaurant opposite. If you need a budget place to doss down in basic comfort, won’t be hanging around much in the hotel (there’s no lounge as such), and you want to get into town quick, it's worth considering. It worked for us, even though we’re used to spending more than three times as much, with all the luxury that price level delivers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Quite disappointing seeing the potential of the property and the area. With some TLC this place could be a real nice b&b. I didn't see or feel they care much about the place and to call it basic is an understatement. Not even a towel was provided. Firebells rang at 02:50 but was false alarm. Will return to the area but not to this place.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank VelmaCake
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I have been working in London for a few weeks and stayed at various places. This has to be one of the worst hotels I've stayed in ever, anywhere! Rooms filthy, although the bed sheet were clean, plastic mattress so very hot and no sleep! Bathroom disgusting! Oh and a TV that didn't work. As with other reviews they insisted on cash claiming the card machine was not working! I have to say the staff to me were friendly and helpful, but this was small compensation for the awful hotel. As cheap as it was for London, Never again.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kevin H
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I have stayed in many different types of hotels in many countries but have never experienced anything as bad as this. We dropped our bags off before check-in time and they were being left in our room, which was helpful. I was asked for payment at this time but the card machine didnt work, not helpful. They agreed we could pay when we came back later on. When we arrived at our room later that night there were no towels or hair dryer in the room, the shower was hanging off the wall and the toilet didnt flush properly. We managed to get some towels that night luckily. The bed was very uncomfortable and the room very hot, so a good nights sleep was not had. But then breakfast brought a hole new set of problems. We were greeted by a very rude woman who mumbled something about breakfast, she didnt even ask us what we wanted to eat but did ask my boyfriend (only him, not me) if he wanted tea or coffee, before disappearing into the kitchen. When my boyfriend went to tell her he was allergic to eggs she just shrugged and pointed to some cereal, but wouldnt actually get any for him. We were then served what they call breakfast, which consisted of a fried egg and some very cold beans with some toast for me, and only two slices of toast for my boyfriend. After breakfast I asked for a hairdryer for the room and was told I couldnt have one because reception was closed until midday, only when I pointed out that not only do I need one but also that check-out is at 11:00am did the rude lady go to reception (for which she had keys right beside her) and get me a hairdryer. I wouldnt recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andie R
Reviewed June 12, 2012

A friend and I stayed here while we in London for a gig. Room was very basic and not too comfortable but everything worked. Breakfast consisted of egg, beans and toast only, no cereal, fruit etc. even getting a fruit juice was difficult. Wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank stavros24
Reviewed May 16, 2012

dirty bathrooms. The shower is black. Television does not funciona.La breakfast table is dirty and bad breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank MARIA DOLORES D
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Me and my partner booked to stay here last minute for a day/night in London. We paid £60 for the room for one night which is very cheap and by no means was I expecting a really nice hotel! I work in travel and have stayed in some very good and bad hotels. This by far was the worst!!! We came on the tube to manor house which on their website it a "2 minute walk" we couldn't find the hotel and asked a couple if they knew where it was they laughed and said they felt sorry for us staying there, it was about a 10-15 minute walk! When we arrived it looked nothing like the photos on their website on the outside very old and tatty! We went to the shed called reception and the man could not find our booking, eventually he did and we were given the key. He said we needed to wait 20 mins as the room was not ready. We went up 20 mins later we were on the top floor, one of the windows in the halls was smashed it smelt dirty as we were going up and the carpets looked like they needed a good Hoover!! There was a man in our room cleaning so we waited another 10 mins. Eventually went in the room it was dusty, smelt of damp/mould, the bathroom was mouldy and the door did not close, we randomly had 2 TVs not that we tried them as the plugs they were plugged into did not seem safe! We then left the room and tried to lock the door and it didnt lock, went to reception and there was no one there so we just left it, luckily nothing was taken although we only had a spare change of clothes so nothing worth taking! We came back late at night and slept for a few hours the walls are very thin so if some on sneezes in the building you can here them! I noticed in the morning the walls were all marked with what looked like phlegm disgusting!! As I said at the beggining was not expecting anything fancy or even very nice for £60 but for it to be that filthy and unhygienic I don't even know how it would be worth spending £10! Definatley pay the extra £40 and stay in a travel lodge or equivalent! I have no idea how this place is still open and any 3rd party would advertise it, it is absolutley disgusting!!

• Stayed: April 2012