“vile.”

Ranked #130 of 556 London B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“vile.”
Reviewed March 13, 2011

This "hotel" was vile! it had one shared bathroom at the end of the hall, that we had to share with who ever else may have been staying at the time. Rat poison behind the fridge, when we got there we were informed that they under inspection for the rat problem and to try and not ope the window because they climb in. The location of the pub itself was horrific! i didn't feel safe to walk back after dark, the area buildings and people were like something out of kidulthood or harry brown.
upon arrival we were asked to sit in the cold while they put sink cleaner down the drains, although we could have sat i the pub below,, i didn't like the look of the people and didn't feel particularly safe.
however the people were lovely and sheets were clean, and they were very welcoming and nice.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank CazzDavies18

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 15, 2009

Booked 1 night in this "Hotel" for use of a better word a mere 24 hours before departing after searching the internet sites for a nice place to stay whilst in London on business to be close to meeting points etc. Having checked the booking agents website I was confident I had found somewhere nice and while I'm not fussy and was only looking for a place to shower and rest, this place really took the biscuit.

I found the hotel easily enough as I know my way around London and having arrived in London in the torrential rain and come upon this place let me describe what I found. There were a couple physically fighting with each other outside the pub, she is yelling a swearing and this bloke (wearing the obligatory vest and armfuls of tattoos) is not someone you would want to meet at any time of the day let alone down a dark alleyway. The front door of pub/entrance windows were either broken or maybe the hotel was in stages of "major repair and renovation" but they were boarded up and people were sitting round outside smoking in the rain, as you do.

Needless to say I put my head down and walked straight on by as I would not have dared to have looked inside. I own a reputable Guesthouse in Ireland and I would be horrified if I came across this in my area. I rang through to the "Hotel" to cancel my booking feigning cancelled flight and of course got charged the full amount of the room for cancellation. I could barely hear the receptionist on the phone as it sounded like she was standing in the middle of the pub, and all I could hear was screaming and shouting.

I have now booked myself into a lovely place on Earls Court, en-suite rooms and very reasonable, its clean, warm and very friendly and having arrived soaked to the skin I was offered hot tea to be brought straight up to my room as a courtesy.

I have retained my booking details from the agent and once I return home I will be making a complaint regarding this hole of a hotel, that is blatant mis-advertising and from the outside, a visit from Health and Safety would not go amiss. While I did not in fact set foot in the place I was willing to forfeit the cost of the room as figured that cost of de-fleaing myself after this stay would be much greater and having found your site after the fact, I think I have been proven right.

NEVER EVER EVER STAY HERE....... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank UnFussy
Rijeka, Croatia
Reviewed February 5, 2009

nice hotel. Friendly staff. Rooms clean and regular. The bathroom could be better, but the prices received and comparison, a very satisfactory, I return to again and notes that the husband and I with the daughters were there, which is four years, and if you are flexible and resourceful this hotel is very nice.
Near the 343 bus, tube Elephant and Castle also.
I found so beautiful and fit. When you are on the trip to stuff for what you need room, but only to sleep, most of the day and so you are around.

• Liked — clean, new, good staff,
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank KTPCroatia
Armagh
Reviewed July 7, 2008

i booked this place through booking.com and was horrified when i got to this establishment. it is totally advertised wrong and i cancelled my reservation and was charged the full amount. Everyone stay well clear of this place. we got a lovely place called stanley house on the belgrave road and had a lovely view of the london eye from our room.

• Liked — getting away from it
  • Disliked — the amount of time it took to find it
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank ballymoyer
Hull, England
Reviewed July 13, 2007

What did I like about the accommodation?

There was nothing to like about The Hour Glass. Situated in the middle of a South London council estate it was far from ideal.

What did I dislike about the accommodation?

The location was terrible - difficult to find and in the middle of a poor residential (council) area. Loud and noisy location all day as all the smokers were sat outside the pub. The room was dirty. Fridge was supplied in the room - this was filthy. The bedding was far from clean. The windows did not close and were not double-glazed. The bathroom was unbelievable - It looked like it had just had a 60 minute makeover by a cowboy builder - There was damp all over the ceiling, the tiles didn’t match up on the wall, the floor was absolutely filthy, the toilet had two toilet seats on?! And contrary to this - there was a sign outside the door that read, "Please leave the bathroom as you would like to find it" Far from it!

General review of my stay

After eventually finding the hotel, I was greeted by a girl who was probably about 16 and working behind the bar. She checked me in, and gave me a key and told me my room number - The rooms are situated out of another door, I had no idea where I was going! So this was not very welcoming at all. After finding my room I really regretted handing over the cash upon arrival. It was a small room with a double bed pushed up into a corner, with TV, fridge and a wardrobe. The room was cold to I tried to close the windows - I failed as they do not close. The noise from the smokers outside the pub was loud, and because my room was above them, the stench of smoke came into my room. I only planned to stay the one night so I just kept thinking positively!! Later that day however, I decided to go to a takeaway as I was hungry and there are no food facilities in the pub. After finding an adequate pizza shop, I strolled back in the direction of the hotel. (Please bare in mind I am a young white female.) A white van man persistently tried to get me to chat to him through his window. I would not so he pulled his van across the pavement so I could not get past! After arriving back to my oh so wonderful room, I decided this was not a clean, or safe, place to be. I ended up checking out of the hotel at 9pm. This hotel is terrible - Probably the dirtiest and most frightening experience I have ever had. Steer well clear.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank kaaylaa
Nuernberg
Reviewed January 17, 2007

Awful! We had booked and paid a room by internet and got a confirmation. However, when we arrived we were stuffed into a cab and brought somewere else (an inn further away). The cab driver told us that it happens all the time. The hourglass overbooks its rooms on purpose and you end up staying somewhere else (where there is no tube station around!). Nice doing business with you.

Stayed December 2006
4 Thank guest0815
Bridport, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2007

awful, nightmare, dirty, tatty, and RUDE RUDE staff. Go here at your peril!! Never again. Did make a complant to the booking agent.

• Stayed September 2006