“Appalling”
Review of Beaconsfield Hotel

Beaconsfield Hotel
Ranked #1,002 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I've stayed in better, cleaner hostels than this hotel! The beds hasn't been changed and were far from clean-I slept fully clothed! Breakfast was small packets of corn flakes, very very noisy pub downstairs. It was totally disgusting! Not even any soap in the barroom and the towels-I've thrown away better ones! The only good thing about this dump is its 10 minutes walk from Finsbury Park but don't be fooled surely there must be better places! Also it wasn't very safe as lock on back door was nearly falling out!

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank joanne s

Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

It's difficult to know where to start on the bad points of this hotel. How on earth it's even earned 2 stars is beyond me. If you book a 2 star room, you know you're not getting the Hilton and that it's probably going to be very basic. But the Beaconsfield... Basic doesn't even cover it. I don't mind places looking a bit 'tired' or not having many amenities but what I do mind is uncleanliness and unsanitary conditions and the Beaconsfield is both of these. The "luxury room with breakfast" is VERY misleading, a rickety old grubby fridge with some Capri suns, UHT milk and a couple of small multi pack cereal boxes of fruit and nut is what you actually get. We certainly didn't fancy using any of the dirty crockery and cutlery off the top of the stained fridge.
The carpet was the worst thing of all covered in nail clippings, hair and so dusty. I put a towel down by the bed so I didn't have to touch it with my feet and wore socks at all time. The floor of the shower room was gross with accumulated filth in the corners, there was a soap bottle on the sink but it was empty so we had to throw it straight in the bin.
Damp marks all over the ceiling and around the door which was also filthy. I have never heard such a squeaky bed before, turning over or even breathing made it squeak worse than a mouses rave party! When we did finally go to bed the noise from the pub downstairs was so loud, so we put the telly on to drown out some of the sound. The TV remote didn't work and the TV had finger marks all over the controls.
The only redeeming feature I can mention is in the noisy street outside (which never sleeps!) is full of charming Turkish and Bulgarian restaurants, so getting a nice breakfast in one of them in the morning wasn't a problem. It's also quite close to tube and train stations, which was why we wanted to stay here as we were going to a gig at the Alexander Palace. I have taken some pictures of the room showing the grotty parts which I will post up. I often try to book an independent place to stay when I come to London, but the Beaconsfield highlights the reason why I shall probably just stick to the chain hotels from now on, as you know what you're more likely to get at those places.
I can honestly say that some of the dodgy student digs I lived in the early 90's were nicer than the Beaconsfield hotel, our room felt like an uncleaned student room that the student had left for the night so we could use it, UGH!
Get the Hoover out Beaconsfield hotel!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Jukeboxju
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We booked a room at this hotel via Booking.Com. The room cost was £67.50 but we opted to pay the £75 which allowed us to cancel free up until 3 days before our stay on 20th April. It also stated that no pre-payment would be taken. We were in London to see our son run in the London Marathon on the Sunday and tried to book in early evening. The gentleman behind the bar (presumably the manager) told us that 'the bad news' was that the hotel was overbooked. The 'good news' was that they had booked us into a hotel nearby and that it had already been paid for. We do not know london at all and at that time of night the evening before the marathon, we had no option but to go to the hotel they had booked us into. We had no apology at all for the overbooking. The hotel that they arranged was called 'The Shelton' and was an absolute dump. Bare wires, stains all over the walls, grime and dust on the carpet and an unbelievable amount behind the bed. There was a broken window and our room furniture was a plastic garden chair.It was only the following morning that, having been woken by a fire alarm going off at 7am, that we noticed there were stains all over the bedding we had slept on - really vile! Since our night in London I have been in contact with Booking.com to compain and they are trying, without much success, to contact the manager of the Beaconsfield. I have also sent them photos of the hotel we were moved to. I have now got a copy of our bank statement and it shows that The Beaconsfield Hotel took £75 from our bank account on 15th April, 5 days before we were due to stay there and 2 days before the date we were entitled to cancel by free of charge.No pre-payment was supposed to be taken at all in our booking conditions. The hotel that they arranged for us, 'The Shelton' was of a much lower standard and quite obviously cheaper than The Beaconsfield. I believe they have pocketed the difference in price and am still in contact with Booking.Com. ge to the bottom of this.

Room Tip: From our experience I would say avoid it like the plague.
Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tina L
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Was a little sceptical about this place but for what we needed (working at a local Leisure Centre) was all we needed. Basic but Honest. It was warm and had all the facilities we needed. A place to sleep whilst working away. Some excellent Kebab shops nearby as this area is highly populated by Turks

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank nuttynoddy
Reviewed January 14, 2013

you would think that the owners of this property would have read recent reviews and would have made some changes. have just arrived back to belfast having stayed over on the sunday night.the radiator in the room didn't heat which left the room cold and the following day we couldn't take a shower as there was no hot water. very disappointing!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sean M
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Exactly what it says on the tin....Cheap, clean(ish) and very close to London. 5 minute walk to the tube straight onto the Picadilly Line at Manor House. If all you want is a bed to get your head down whilst exploring London, you cant do much better, I imagine, for the money. Parking is on the street alongside and is £7.50 a day and free at weekends. I have to say the pub beneath the hotel is not the type I'd frequent, but all in all it was OK....

Room Tip: Maybe its luck of the draw, but the top floor rooms, although a bit of a climb, all seemed to be of...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

After reading reviews we were dreading staying here. We had booked 2 double ensuite rooms.

When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. Considering this is a 2 star accommodation above a pub near central London value for money is excellent and the hotel doesn't promise to be any more than this.

Parking on the street outside hotel is free evenings and weekends and hotel is near manor house tube station which is zone 3 tube.

Rooms are small and basically furnished. Each had a double bed with 1 pillow per person, tv, fridge, kettle, small box of cerea,l a caprisun and long life milk p person. Bathroom squeezed in where possible, v small but don't need bigger. Free wifi is provided to guests included in room rate.

Access to rooms btwn 1am-12pm is thru back entrance of metal staircases outside building.

The only gripe with the hotel was there was a tea bag down the plug hole which stopped the sink draining properly and when the room was cleaned during stay toothbrushes were obviously not moved as they were full of cleaning products. Minor really.

All things considered, for the price paid we would stay here again without doubt.

Please remember when booking this, you are paying next to nothing for accommodation in London and free/cheap parking. You really do get what you pay for.

• Stayed: December 2012