“You get what you pay for but.......”
Review of The Black Lion

The Black Lion
Ranked #174 of 554 London B&B and Inns
York, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for but.......”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend break. Not my choice, a friend made the booking.
It was clean, my room was huge, the ensuite very very tiny. What on earth possessed the owner of the place at the time to put such a tiny shower room in a room that was so huge!! Felt safe walking from the tube late at night. The pub has a great atmosphere. The breakfast was continental or pay a small supplement for cooked English breakfast. The. Cooked breakfast was good and so was the continental although don't expect to get exactly what it says on the menu.
So, when I say you get what you pay for. That is true. This place is a clean room for the night with reasonably easy access to centre of London. The reason I put 'but'......... Is quite simply because with just a little extra effort and a few changes to the service and furnishings which would not cost much this could be a really excellent bed and breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shelley52

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Mancester
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Me and my Husband stayed at The Black Lion last week for a couple of nights. Considering the area is not the nicest we were plesantly suprised when we arrived. We were greeted by a friendly and really polite staff. Room was clean and tidy, definately good value for money.
After we checked in, we went to their restaurant for diner (as we were offered guest discount).
Food was exellent and service professional.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anne l
Yorkshire
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Overall, I would say the Black Lion is good value for the price. If you're on a budget, I'd definitely recommend. The room was basic, but clean. (The shower room was tiny, but again, for the price I paid you'd have to be mad to complain about stuff like that!) The bed was very comfortable and the pub below is fantastic. It was freezing outside, but the heating was available all night and ended up having to turn the radiator off. (Nice to have the option in January though!) I was in a twin room at the side of the building, so I didn't get any noise from traffic on the main road. But from about 6am the noise from the main door banging woke me up about every 20 mins or so. (I would have rated this 4/5 if it wasn't for that). Breakfast was pretty good, although it was possibly the worst cup of coffee I've ever had! Fantastic price though. Would definitely stay there again. Might try a different room away from the main door.

Room Tip: The ensuite twin room at the side of the building gets a lot of noise from the main door.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BTag
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

It's right on the main road, which was thankful because I had to find it late in the night. A bleary-eyed security guard welcomed us and showed me to my room. In the morning we had breakfast (included in the room price) in the restaurant and I got a look at the place.

It's lovely and classically decorated, a typical old English pub, with a real, open fireplace and a faux-bookshelf too. The decor is lovely, and the bar has a wide variety and nice ambience.

Did exactly what it said on the tin. Will be back.

Room Tip: Towards the rear of the building are better.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rory T
London
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Booked for my parents in law for two nights when they came to visit, after a previous successful stay. Found it to be very good value for money. Clean and comfortable with pleasant friendly staff. Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jamsa90
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This pub is undoubtably the grandest room ever , lovely high ceilings and spacious comfortable seating. I cannot comment on the b&b side of things.
Food is very over priced , small menu and small portions . What upset me most was , when the female bar staff , asked me to move my buggy as she was passing through with hot food , well im all for health and safety, but the very large room , with no shortage of space has only 5 other adults in , and they were not ordering food, and did not eat in all the time I was there. I feel she was just picking on us , and there is no need to make a fuss on a very quiet afternoon.
I would have had another glass of wine after lunch only for feeling un welcome.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Joanne11297
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I booked for me and 3 friends to stay here for the NFL at Wembley. I booked it in February, a good 8 months in advance to make sure I would get the room. I phoned the day before we were due to stay and they had the booking but only booked it as a double room despite the fact my reservation CLEARLY states 4 adults, family room. They were not interested in sorting the problem at all and basically told me it was tough luck. Absolute disgrace of a hotel, disgrace of customer service and disgrace of a booking system.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
bm202, Administrator at The Black Lion, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I am sorry you feel your reservation was not dealt with in a swift manner, However the error with your booking was down to a computer glitch, as your booking was made online and all online bookings are allocated to rooms according to the information guest give, except on this occasion the booking system allocated you into an inappropriate room. When you phoned the day before your booking and this error was bought to my attention personal attention, we did everything possible to rectify the situation. At no point as far as I am aware did anyone say they were not interested in sorting out the problem. I know as a customer it is not possible to see the work being done at the other end of the phone to sort out problems, however every solution possible was being sort in order to resolve the issue. A refund was made to one of your friends who had cancelled one of the guest due to stay, at which point made things a lot easier for us as we did not have to move beds around as much as we would have had to.

Travelers are raving about these London hotels