“Excellent location, great hotel and definite improvement in staff service”

Plaza on the River - Club and Residence
Ranked #209 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Wellington, New Zealand
“Excellent location, great hotel and definite improvement in staff service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

This was the second time I stayed in this Hotel while on business. The first time was in October 2008 and on that occasion the service was frankly terrible - the staff at the front desk were not helpful or friendly and the service in the restaurant was poor. However this time it felt like I was staying in an entirely differnt place. I arrived at around 2pm after about 28 hours travel, very tired and desperate for a shower. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and although my 1 bedroom suite was not yet ready it was evident she appreciated my state of fatigue. I waited in the bar/lounge and had a coffee and again was served by a very friendly young lady. I stayed for a week - and although I did not have a river view - the suite was clean, spacious and very comfortable and quiet. Room service was excellent and housekeeping was prompt. I was also pleased to find out that wireless internet is now free. I will certainly be staying in this Hotel again and if you would like a good hotel in a central location then this is definitely the place for you. Short walk to Westminster Palace and the London eye.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
Dear Plaza on the River guest's,
Thank you very much for your comments and thank you for giving us a second chance. We always strive to deliver 100% guest satisfaction & are looking forward in welcoming you back to London.
Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Trstenik, Croatia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2011

I must have stayed here now over 25 times in the past year, so that should be reason enough to rate it highly. Every time I come back, I receive the same levels of exceptional guest service. No, it isn't the cheapest hotel in London but if something is cheap, it's cheap for a reason. If it's expensive, buy it. And compared to many of the so-called 'luxury' hotels in London, Plaza on the River is not only way better but also actually cheaper.

The location is ideal, the rooms are huge and very-well appointed, the staff are professional & helpful and the whole place has the ambience of being somewhere quite special. If you get the chance, pay the extra for a balcony view as it is fantastic (sitting out in the evening, looking over the Thames and Big Ben, drinking the complimentary cocktail...superb!). Room service has yet to say 'no' to any dining request that I have asked them for.

On this stay, the only downside was a rather hissy TV in the bedroom but I found out that was caused by a loose SCART cable, which had been disturbed when housekeeping had pulled out the whole unit to hoover behind it. That has to be a first for a hotel - hoovering behind the furniture!

If you get the chance, stay here. It is worth the money and makes any trip to London, whether business or leisure, that bit more enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
Dear Propaganda_Machine,
Thank you very much for your amazing review. Looking forward having you back and don't hesitate to contact us directly.

Kindest Regards
Burnham-on-Crouch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2011

we arrived at this hotel for a special birthday treat. my partner had called in advance to advise them of the occasion and we were upgraded on arrival from a studio apartment to a 2 bedroom river view apartment. FABULOUS!!! Mario who checked us in was polite and courteous and showed us all the amenities of the rooms. the room was spectacular with floor to ceiling windows in all the main rooms with a beautiful view. there was nothing about this hotel or the wonderful staff there that either myself or my partner could fault. if we ever win the lottery we will be moving in!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Dear Leannelatty,

I was very pleased to read your response on Trip Advisor & telling us about your recent experience with us. We are very proud to have Mario working with the Park Plaza group and it's always nice to read about "how" staff members delivered true hospitality service.
Have a lovely weekend and feel free to contact us directly on your next visit.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

I stayed here on Dec 10th for 2 nights for a special trip to propose to my girlfriend. I had researched MANY hotels in London before deciding on Plaza on the river and I'm so glad I did! We stayed in the residency side and was offered an upgrade when they knew it was a special occasion. The room was not ready on arrival so we were offered free drinks at the bar and it only took 15 minutes for the room to be sorted and we did arrive bang on 2pm. The rooms were unbelievably clean and spacious and cleaned twice a day! The views of the Thames were outstanding and the staff impeccable - very courteous and helpful. The next time I am in London for a special event I will definitely go back here, couldn't recommend enough!

• Stayed December 2010
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Dear Iceman7k,
I would like to thank you for all your comments listed on Trip Advisor. Please do contact me directly if you decide to visit Plaza on the River Club and Residence again.
Have a nice day.
Düsseldorf, Deutschland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

Stayed there for one night. I was booked into a open plan Studio but got upgraded to a one bed suit, although there I had only a view onto the roof of the restaurant and now view to the river. The suite was very good, but you probably can enjoy everything (Kitchen, free DVD's ...) even more if you stay there for longer. Next time in London I would like to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, January 16, 2011
Dear Mr. Tavelabc,
I would like to thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We do appreciate you making the effort and do hope to welcome you back to the Plaza on the River Club and Residence.
Please do get in touch prior to your next arrival.
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2011

I don't often write reviews, especially before I check out of a hotel, but this hotel has really exceeded my expectations for value and for a London hotel (of which I have none have stayed in my 5 trip have been very impressive). The hotel is divided into two sections, one being residences and one side being rooms (The Riverbank). This was a bit confusing to my cab driver. The Plaza is located across from the Thames, closest station being a 7 minute walk to Vauxhall; both tube and rail available. I originally ed because of the reviews on Tripadvisor and the reviews were on point! This is my 5th trip to London for a conference I attend every year in Olympia and never have the previous hotels been at all comfortable. I will admit I am a hotel snob from the States and if I am to stay in a place for 6 nights, I need to be able to, at the very least, have room to put my suitcase down. This place had enough room for an entourage of suitcases.
I booked direct with the Plaza for 143GBP a night, a great price for 4-5 stars in London, especially since I have paid far more in some places and barely been able to squeeze between the door and bed.
The rooms are studio apartments with full kitchen, stove, microwave, washer, dish washer and an awesome espresso machine. You have a full sized sofa, four chair table, desk and the best part...a king bed (no two twins pushed together bs.) Everything is sleek, modern, clean and new. The service is impeccable. Complementary Voss water, danish and juice in the morning, Moet in the evening, turn down service, great shampoos and toiletries, slippers, robes, welcome packet with complimentary drink and 25% off dinner at the lovely restaurant downstairs--really the whole nine yards. If you are a business traveler, your hotel is your sanctuary for the week or so you have to be out of town and this place is spacious; you really feel like you have a little apartment to yourself. The bar area has plush, plentiful seating, the buffet breakfast is reasonably priced and diverse, hey also offer regular breakfast at a good price (for London keep in mind),I really can't say enough about the great amenities The Plaza offers.
I will mention a couple of points they could improve on; the lighting in the rooms is not the best, but this is often the case in many hotels. The sun comes up late in winter and it was a bit of a challenge to put my makeup on in the morning without wondering if I looked like a clown or corpse. I also would have liked a little more counter space in the bathroom and at least on outlet that I could plug a blow dryer into (by the way the provided blow dryer was very high quality, no crappy wall unit here!) or curling iron into in the bathroom. These, of course, are lady complaints, but there is an excellent full length mirror with plug near by in the main area. My last criticism, and this is probably isolated to my room, is that room 657 is above the gym so I could hear guests jogging on the treadmill. Nothing unbearably loud but noticeable. I guess they have to put the gym somewhere but I would have recommended the bottom level.
Lastly, the staff is so polite and welcoming. They really go out of there way to make you feel at home and pampered. I offered the adorable bellboy a tip and he genuinely seemed confused by my gesture. After he registered what I was doing, he was very gracious and thankful. Sir, if I could remember your name, I would mention you, you were the sweetest young thing I saw in my five trips to London (I am single and 28 so I can say these things). Many of the staff member are from all corners of the world; Slovakia, Portugal, Spain, Romania which I always appreciate and enjoy...they must receive excellent staff training because they are very helpful and really understand the concept of "guest service". I highly recommend this hotel to all business or pleasure travelers. An added note: there are some excellent restaurants and a grocer's in the area. The location is also a stones throw from Big Ben, the London Eye and many, many other attractions. Although I have to say I was not impressed with the Tate Modern. Being from Washington DC, I am spoiled by impressive museums but I also found the lighting at the Tate to be poorly constructed to display such epic works of art. Sorry to get off topic...but take it from a self-pronounced snobby, picky American that travels constantly---the Plaza on the River is just wonderful for families, business travelers or tourist in general!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

moment i walked thru the door i was smiled at by staff and they said hello and were friendly, and i walked to the recetion they were so nice and i checked in no probs, i went to my room, but was not happy with the room i was given as it was near a train track, so i used the room phone and called down to reception, they could not of been more helpful, a member of staff came straight up and gave me a new room key and my new room was just as lovely and big and modern, but on the other side of the building. the rooms are fantastic and i stayed in a basic room, the bathrooms are big and beautiful. i think ive had the best night sleep ive ever had in a hotel, (so much so i over slept and didnt check out on time, and the staff were lovely about it) for a london hotel and for being in such a prime location, the price of the food and drink were, i thought were cheap, as far as hotel prices go. in the night, i stayed at the hotel bar, it was fun just watching the barman mixing cocktails, we all had some beers, and they were all at todays pub prices, not at all over priced, and our drinks came with free olives and nibbles. i didnt order room service, but did look at the menu, and again, i wouldnt say they were over priced at all, again, as far as london hotels go. i can not fault anything at all about this hotel, the staff, the rooms, the hotel, everything was great! you have a clear view of big ben along the river from the hotel, but was about a 10 min stroll, but it was nice to take in the views- i did find out there are other park plazas closer to the london eye, but the short walk is not the end of the world, and i thought it was nice to not be right on top of everything, and yet still see it all. as a londoner myself, it was nice to have such friendly staff that spoke perfect english, and i dont mean that as an insult, but ive stayed in alot of top london hotels, where ive been trying to ask for something or order a meal, and they cant really understand - so it was nice to have staff that spoke clear english. everything in the hotel was clean, beautiful fresh flowers everywhere, i cant fault a thing!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Plazaontheriver, Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Dear Littlecarlz,
It's always great to receive positive feedback from our guests especially when the team has work so hard over the past few months. I will ensure your comments will be distributed across the hotel and we are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Please feel free to contact myself directly if I can be of any assistance
Kindest Regards