“Incredible experience in probably the best hotel of the sector in London”
Review of Plaza on the River

Plaza on the River
Ranked #274 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 3, 2010

In the last years I have traveled to London on many occasions, experiencing different hotels every time. The experience in Park Plaza On the River has been outstanding, i finally found a hotel in London i can trust, and a place I can consider as a solid point of reference any time i travel for business or leisure to the English capital. Definitely superior than Intercontinental Westminster, Hilton Park Lane, Millennium Mayfair and Marriott County Hall (hotels where i have stayed in previous occasions), Plaza On the River provides probably the best sights and panoramas in London, facing Westminster, the river and the London eye. The room was stunning; spacious and every detail has been pre-considered for a perfect stay, comfortable bed and sofa, complete and big bathroom , technological equipment, great kitchen, the whole designed in a clean modern style.
My stay has been made memorable by the members of staff, which have always been kind and available in every moment of the day, Excellent and fast room service, reception and concierge brilliant in answering any question. A special merit goes to Giovanni Valentini, the Guest Relations Agent which made our stay unforgettable, making us feel better than at home, ready to help us at any time.
I also enjoyed the Chino Latino restaurant in the hotel, gorgeous food and a brilliant service. Nothing more to say really, a fantastic hotel i strongly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank asr_riise
Write a ReviewReviews (1,639)

Reviewed March 1, 2010

I stayed here with my girlfriend for one night as an anniversary/valentines day celebration and it really was wonderful. I booked the 'deluxe valentines package' which ensured that we got a room with a river view and a balcony. It is worth noting that it was pretty expensive (a once in a lifetime for myself and my girlfriend) however, i left feeling that we really did get value for money.
The room was incredible, we have a small one bed house and we decided that the room was probably bigger than our house! The view was stunning, overlooking the houses of parliament. The room was spotless and very well maintained with all the modern comforts you could wish for. Little things like having a proper coffee machine in the room really added to the luxury. The bed was large and very comfortable and the bathroom very clean with a huge shower and a big bath. My girlfirend also informs me that the tolietries were a really 'posh' brand! We were on the 9th floor, i think room number 956.
As part of the Valentines package, we had a bottle of champagne on ice when we arrived with some delicious cup cakes, chocolates and a long stem rose. These were very high quality and a real treat.
The receptionists were very friendly and seemed more than happy to help us with any enquiries. If i had one complaint it would be that when checking out, the receptionist, a German girl whose name i can't remember, said out loud how much the final bill was despite my efforts to be as discreet as possible. It was said loud enough so that my girlfriend heard which was obviously somewhat annoying as it was a surprise weekend and a gift. But this really was my only complaint.
We had breakfast served to us in the morning along with 2 glasses of champagne. It was, unsurprisingly, beautiful. I had eggs benedict which were as good as any i have tasted. We asked for it to be delivered at 9.30 am and i think i arrived almost to the second.
We were also given a complimentary cocktail in the bar which we enjoyed before going out.
The location is again perfect if you want to do a bit of sightseeing. We had dinner in a restaurant near trafalgar square and it took us about 15 minutes to walk there at a leisurely pace. It is about a 5/10 minute walk along the river to the London Eye.
Although we didnt eat there, the restaurant in the hotel looked and smelled great too.
I have been very lucky to stay in some nice hotels before, but this really was another level.
For myself and my girlfriend, it was a bit of a case of seeing how the 'other half' live and really spoiling ourselves for one night and it really was fantastic.
I couldn't recommend this hotel more highly and although it's not cheap, it is worth every penny. I only wish we could have stayed for longer!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lukemoorland
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I booked a riverview suite for the 27th February 2010 as part of my Birthday celebration. I also reserved a table for 10 in 'Chino Latino restaurant for that evening. My first impressions of the hotel were great, the bar and lounge area looked great, and I was thoroughly impressed by the spaciousness of my apartment room, which exceeded my expectations in terms of space and view of the thames. When I did get to my room on the 8th floor, it was properly cleaned but there was a funny sewerage type smell coming from the toilet area, which didn't fully go away. The housekeeping staff did try their best to remedy it though and were polite and helpful in that regard. The rooms itself were generous in size and facilities. A separate bath to the shower too which was handy.

Where I was let down though was the service in both the bar and especially the restaurant which I am going to detail exactly, and cannot describe even close to the stress I felt of such a horrendous experience when I was just trying to enjoy myself on the evening of my birthday party.

Firstly though, I have to give credit to the lady who checked us in at the start. She was polite, friendly and most accommodating. When I mentioned it was my birthday celebration she sent a bottle of white wine to the room which was a thoughtful and generous gesture on her behalf. I also immedietely told her that two people in my intitial dinner reservation were no longer coming and so it was now a party of 8 people which she promised to pass onto the staff of 'Chino Latino' to alter the booking. She gave us a voucher for 3 comlimentary cocktails at the bar which I intended to use in the short wait before dinner.

That evening I went to the bar first as I had to wait for a few friends to arrive for dinner. I handed across my voucher for the complimentary cocktails and took a seat and wait for them to come to our table. Well there was about 6 other gentleman at the bar as part of a group, but there was also at least 3 barpersons, and 3 cocktail waitresses. 20minutes later there was still no drinks arrived. Feeling irritated I went and inquired and was told they had been ordered. I went back to the table and waited another 10 minutes and still nothing. I went back up to the bar and asked what was going on? And if the drinks had started to be made? Apparently, just then! Then it turns out they got my order wrong and had ordered two of the wrong drink and had to remake another drink. I got the feeling that despite having 3 bartenders there, they weren't making my drinks a priority because they were 'complimentary' which I felt was rude and of poor service. I think the staff in that part need to keep their eye on the ball, be a bit more switched on, attentive and communicate effectively to both the other staff and customers alike. The restaurant though, which came next, was a far more stressful ordeal, and what happened next, I still can't believe.

Well our party was seated at the restaurant table and we awaited for all 8 guests to arrive before ordering. At this point we started ordering dim-sum, about 5 mins later after realising that it wasn't as cost-effective as the set dinner menu we changed our order very quickly to the set dinner menu, they hadn't started cooking it, so it was no problem to do so. He took our orders and brought out the food. The food itself, I had no complaint of, it was delicious and good value, especially with the 25% off disount voucher. But at the end when our bill came out it read in excess of £400 for 10 people. At first we didn't bother scrutinising the bill, we just started organising our monies. Luckily, one of our guests double checked the bill to find out the maitre de had not only charged us an EXTRA set menu (for 9 people, instead of 8), but he had charged us ALL of the dim sum that we had cancelled right at the start! The bill should of been £200-something instead of the £400-something. Bit of a mistake wouldn't you think!? When my friend took the receipt up the Deputy manager/Maitre De he got rather defensive and actually tried to argue to her that our party was originally a party of 9! Excuse me??? Firstly I think I would know if I had an imaginary friend sitting at my table, apart from the fact that 8 of us arrived, I had informed our check in attendant immedietely that it was 8 attending, and then if we ordered set menus all he had to do was count the people at the table. What a ludicrous suggestion on his behalf! Why even bother argueing something so indefensible? I was at this point insulted and angry that he even tried to argue back over a mistake that was very clearly and unconditionally his own mistake. We figured, that he thought if we were drunk enough we would pay up without even realising his error, and for all the dim-sum as well!!! The cheek. He then got his manager involved and when my friend tried to describe the deputy manager as 'his member of staff' the manager rather defensively said "he's not my member of staff, he's the DEPUTY manager' as though that offered some clout in his defence. When they brought out the second bill, it was still wrong and needed to be adjusted again. Eventually 45 minutes later, lots of repeat explaining and 4 readjusted bills in total we had a satisfactory outcome but I was almost in tears by this stage, and didn't need this kind of unnecessary stress on the night of my birthday party. It's one thing to make these kind of mistakes, but not to accept them humbly and adjust them efficiently and with grace makes the situation only worse. The deputy manager acted apallingly by being defensive and abrasive in attitude for his OWN mistakes. We refused to pay service charge and this point was accepted and this was an overall appalling level of service that was beyond any incompetence I had witnessed before. The only appeasement for all of this headache they offered us was to apply the 25% to the drinks as well as the dinner (which to be honest, is not outrightly advertised in the voucher as the drinks being exclusive in the first place, so a bit misleading) whereas I think under the circumstance, for the stress our table endured and the fact that it was my birthday celebration a good-will token of a bottle of champagne or like would have been a thoughtful gesture to leave us appeased. This did not happen however.

The one saving grace about all this was the Manager of Guest relations, a delightfully acommodating and friendly man by the name of 'Giovanni'. When told about my dinner experience the following day he not only was completely empathetic and obliging, but gave us a free breakfast for the trouble that we had endured. Not only had this embarrassing incident not been logged into the 'incident book' by the restaurant managers that night (as per protocol), he was furious that I had been treated in this manner on my birthday by something that was clearly an indefensible mistake on behalf of the restaurant managers.

Thanks to Giovanni, he smoothed the waters, and left us feeling appeased rather than disgruntled.

Three other points to note:

a.) the bathrooms do not have liquid soap dispensors or hand moisturiser dispensors (something that you quite frankly have come to expect) which is rather odd, as it requires you to take out the small face soap just so that you can wash your hands!

b.) when you order room service, an automatic 12.5% 'service charge is lumped onto your bill. Personally, I prefer this to be discretionary because, on one instance we ordered 2 bottles of wine and a cheese platter and we waited 45minutes for the pleasure, and still had to fork out £7 extra for 'service'. So in cirumstances like this, it should be up to the customer as to how much of a tip they think is appropriate.

c.) The T.V comes with only a limited number of viewing channels (at least ones in which you don't pay for), and of note, only has one channel with music on it. Music is a popular choice for hotel viewing, so it would be in the hotel's best interest to provide more than once channel for music! There one and only music channel was a bit lousy and aired advertisements for almost just as long as it aired music!

Because I was eventually appeased by the thoughtful Giovanni, I would go back again. Simply based on my opinion that the rooms are delightful and the view from my room was simply fabulous. However, I would just caution anyone about eating at the Restaurant, as my experience was horrific, and you have to be careful to make sure you are not cheated out of your hard-earned money and have to cop an attitude to boot! I think mostly though, there are some good staff there whose reputation should not be ruined by a few bad eggs!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Spent a few days with family in London. We had plenty of space in two bedroom apartment 754. The staff at reception was really friendly and a special remark for Giovanni. Restaurant service was also very nice and helpful. But the best of it was the sensation to enter home from the very first moment you step into your room. If you are sick with those ugly 5-star art deco style, here you will find a great place where you feel home both with family or on a business trip.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
pfioretti, Hotel Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2010

Dear Luca,

Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback on your experiencen at our Hotel on tripadvisor!

We look forward to welcoming you back at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence.

Kindest regards,

Pascale Fioretti
Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 21, 2010

Had a lovely stay here during the half term week last year.

The guy who checked us in was a little bit of a jobs worth as he wouldnt let us check in before 14.00hrs but apart from that i have no complaints at all.

The rooms were so spacious they are the largest rooms i have stayed in London. I have stayed in several hotels in London such as Sofitel St James, One Aldwych, Soho House, St Martins Lane hotel & Sanctum Soho Hotel which all cost £350+ per night for half the size rooms and no breakfast included. The standard is exactly the same as these big hotels but the only slight down side is that the location is slightly out of the way but nothing to walk across the river to get to the west end quite easily or via the bus or tube. But the positive side to this location is the views directly over the river which is far better than looking out at office buildings (if you are lucky !!) in central west end London.

The kitchan area was ideal for having breakfast delivered to our room each morning and also handy to stock up on a few beers and wines to drink on the balcony once the little one was asleep in the pull out double sofa bed in the lounge area.

These suites are the best choice for a family of four to sleep comfortably in style at an affordable price.

Have already booked up for another weekend break shortly!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2010

My husband and I stayed here 9/18/09 - 9/26/09 and if we returned to London, we would likely stay here again. This is a boutique hotel inside the Park Plaza Riverbank, so don't confuse the two. The front desk staff are extremely helpful and accommodating. Unfortunately we were delayed 21 hours in Calgary by Air Canada. A quick call to both expedia and Plaza on the River ensured that we would not lose our room because of a late check in and we received a refund for the missed night. When we finally arrived on the 18th, the gentleman at the front desk remembered my husband immediately. The best surprise was that despite the refund, our room was ready for us. It was nice to freshen up before starting our afternoon and evening of sightseeing.

We stayed in a studio suite and were thrilled by its spaciousness. It was huge by European standards. I have even stayed in smaller rooms in North America. The king size bed is truely a king sized - not two doubles pushed together. The bathroom was beautiful and spacious. The drawers in the vanity were appreciated as well. Everyone who stays there receives a welcome basket (chocolate muffin, water, red wine, apples, jam, few other items). Don't drink the water housekeeping leaves beside the bed as I believe the hotel does charge for it. What we really loved was the kitchen. It comes equipped with everything you need to make any meal (even a small supper). The table is a nice size as well. This is a real bonus as we saved tons by eating breakfast there and bringing home Pret a Manger sandwiches for supper.

The hotel's location is great as well. Once you step out to the street beside the hotel, you can see Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. They are about a 15 - 20 minute walk along the Thames from the hotel. The London Eye is about 20 minutes by foot and Buckingham Palace is approximately 30 minutes. This allowed us to use our Oyster Card (reuseable and refillable payment card for the Tube (aka London Underground). The closest Tube station is the Vauxhaul Station and it is no more than a 10 minute walk away. If you are going to Hampton Court the Vaux haul Station is also a stop for the National Rail Service line that goes there. We found that everything we wanted to see in London was easy to reach either by the Tube or by foot. If you wanted to take a taxi instead, there were ALWAYS plenty outside the hotel waiting.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are not many restaurants in the area, so it is best to find a place to eat on your way "home" from sightseeing. The is one as you walk towards the Tube station. Otherwise, there are quite a few around the London Eye.

All in all, this is an hidden gem in the heart of London. The rooms are large and clean. We would likely stay here again.

Pros - Large room size by European or North American standards, convenience store at bottom of hotel, the kitchen , walking distance to many attractions, friendly and helpful staff.

Cons - Not many restaurants nearby, connecting to the internet wasn't the easiest - but the husband figured it out fairly easily.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2009

Stayed just before xmas 2009 and all was great, I would say the best point was the great value for money for the room. We paid just over £200 for a 5 star 2 bedroomed apartment only 300 yards from the houses of parliament!.
Was greeted by very friendly valet parking staff and then taken to the reception to meet Giovanni who was extremely helpful indeed. Restaraunt was not to our tast but thats only because we dont like sushi or Japanese, that said all the reports from other guests said it was great.
All in a great stay and I would heartily recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business