“A lovely surprise”

Ranked #212 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Australian Irish in Ghent for Some Time
“A lovely surprise”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Our stay here was quite the surprise - we were expecting a standard hotel room at the Park Plaza but were upgraded to the Club and Residence as (I think) I had mentioned it was our anniversary. We were given champagne whilst checking in, which is as good as it gets really. The apartment was contemporary and spacious and were great to be in - almost too much for one night! Unfortunately our view didn't look outside, it looked into what I think is an interior atrium, which was a shame, so if you're booking see if a view is available. Any problems were solved quickly - a missing minibar price list and a phone left in the room after check out. Nespresso machine was fantastic, though we used the pods up so quickly! The staff are lovely and the location is great - don't bother with bus or tube, just hop on the hire bikes opposite and see some sights.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear OisinS,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us as your observations are of paramount importance of our hotel.

I am happy to see that we managed to surprise you with the upgrade, and what a perfect way is this to celebrate your annivcersary.

I trust that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future when perhaps we can meet personally.

Kindest Regards,

Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
sydney
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stayed in a one bed apartment, with fold out sofa for the third person in our group. We had a balcony, with views over the houses of parliament and Big Ben. The view was absolutely amazing, and we couldnt stop looking out the window. The apartment was very comfortable, and the bathroom and supplied products were great. Breakfast was also really nice.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear ladybugsSydney,

Thank you very much for your comment about your recent stay at Plaza on the River.

The balcony suits indeed have a fantastic view towards Houses of Parliament, London Eye.

It is great to hear that your managed to reserve one of them, as it is really popular room category.

Thank you very much your compliments across many departments. I have shared your comments with them as a compliment of their hard work.

We are looking forward welcoming you back.

Trstenik, Croatia
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I've stayed here during the week for the past few weeks whilst on business. As my previous reviews indicate, I stay here relatively frequently - quite simply because it delivers an exceptional guest experience over and over again.

I find myself running out of new things to say about this place that I haven't written previously and it's almost at the point now where I am actively looking to find fault with any aspect of my stay, so that I can make some new comment. It really is hard because the overall quality of the rooms, the staff and the customer service is near flawless.

Throughout the most recent stays, the rooms have been immaculately presented. The suites are positively huge for any property, let alone a London hotel. The new in-room entertainment system that runs on the large LCD TVs in both living room and bedroom is definitely an improvement on the old system; I've highlighted before the rather good new electronic programme guide but this time discovered the internet radio function: there is a good selection of internet radio stations accessible from the system, including a superb 80s station that played mostly non-mainstream hits (not the usual 'classics' that you hear on Absolute80s) and had me thinking 'wow, I haven't heard this in literally decades' on several occasions.

The weather was pleasant and that allowed me to enjoy the balcony and the breahtaking view across the centre of London, from Battersea Power Station to the London Eye. Sitting out on the balcony in the morning, drinking an espresso from the Nespresso machine, is surely one of life's little pleasures.

I ate in Chinos on each night and have reviewed it separately. Whilst down in the restaurant, the turndown service came; not only the lovely little touch of the chocolates on the pillow but also the additional bottle of water placed on the bedside table with a glass, as well as the used hand towel being changed, the shower door being opened for the following morning and the bathmat placed on the floor in front of it.

It is also great to see that the waste bins now have an insert to accommodate recyclable material. I've been mentioning this in feedback and reviews for a while (Park Plaza County Hall have had them for a couple of years) and so I was very pleased to see that these have now arrived at Plaza on the River; well done to whoever organised this. A little note to guests drawing their attention to this rather useful feature would be an idea - it also shows off a sustainability credential.

On the downside;
- there are still pencils and not pens with the note pads. In one room, the lead was broken so the pencil was useless full stop (or no full stop without any lead!). However, even with a sharp point, you cannot write on the plastic laundry bags or laminated paper in-room breakfast menus. There used to be pens and I still can't work out why they have been replaced with pencils.
- the towels are fantastic (large and absorbent) but they are becoming somewhat bobbly (technical term); this being where tiny bits of the towel come off when you are drying yourself. With a couple of days' stubble, this means you end up with bits of towel stuck in your stubble which is frustrating as you have to pick them out if you don't want to look like Santa. This may well be down to the external company that launders them. I would be checking their quality control. As a point of comparison, talk to the company that launders the towels for Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow (another Carlson Rezidor estate property) as their towels are absolutely fantastic; robust and strong without any bobby bits.
- the new paid-for wifi is still not ideal. It used to be complimentary but is now a paid for service, apart from a free 256Kbps service. Having previously registered for it, I logged in during one stay but the UI wouldn't accept multiple logins from different devices. I had to ask guest services for their help and the advice I received wasn't that helpful: firstly, "bring your laptop down to reception" isn't going to fix the problem and secondly, Concierge level membership of the Carlson Rezidor loyalty scheme does offer complimentary internet access as one of its tier benefits. Being told to the contrary is disappointing.
The issue sorted itself but I do still object to having to pay for anything other than 256Kbps in what is a luxury property. If budget and value chains can provide free hi-speed internet, then a premium brand's flagship property should be able to do the same. Even Radisson Blu Polar on Svalbard (the Northernmost hotel in the world - reviewed previously) near the North Pole offers free hi-speed internet, in their case at more than 100Mbps. Granted they are borrowing some pretty significant bandwidth from the NASA earth station nearby but the centre of London is hardly remote.
- there wasn't a bottle opener in the kitchen drawer on one occasion.

To be fair, the above are an aggregation of the recent stays and in total, they hardly represent a loss of quality. However, feedback should be objective and include both the good and bad.

I notice that some other reviewers have mentioned the building work either side of the property. The good news is that both these buildings have now been demolished to ground/near ground level. In the short-term this has had the effect of making the side view rooms much lighter and extended their views. There was some groundwork going on during the afternoon but the noise wasn't obtrusive, certainly no more than the railway line behind. I don't think it's fair to criticise the hotel for the construction work, partly because it's something over which they have no control and partly because this is central London. It is very difficult to go anywhere in central London where there isn't building work underway close by. To me, it adds to the atmosphere and feeling of the city constantly reinventing itself. If you want silence and birdsong, go stay in the the country.

All the staff I met were first class, as always. I am convinced that the management training for Plaza on the River aims higher than usual Park Plaza standards, including PP Riverbank that adjoins it. The staff in Plaza on the River always seem to have an edge, in terms of understanding the profile of their guests and always being friendly yet professional, welcoming without being obsequious. If Gabriella the front of house manager is reading this; you do a very good job and the results are noticeable.

As I have written previously, I don't even think about looking for a different hotel when staying in central London, as I know that Plaza on the River will provide a high quality, reliable and luxurious stay, on a consistent basis. I always leave feeling relaxed and looking forward to my next stay.

As the title suggests, I would go so far as to say that it is superlative.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Propaganda_Machine
Dear Propaganca_Machine,

Thank you for always choosing Plaza on the River Club and Residence for your business visits to London. It is a great honour to read that we were able to affirm the unparalleled service standard you experienced before.

It is always a pleasure to read that you are satisfied with the staff, the room and the small or bigger improvements are recognized and welcomed.

Honest, detailed and constructive feedbacks help us to bring our business to the right directions as well as providing useful information for our future guests.

Having re-read some of your previous comments on Tripadvisor, I am happy to inform you that we have changed our breakfast cards, just awaiting for the delivery. The new cards are easier to write on.

We are also proud to achieve a fantastic result last year, when Park Plaza Riverbank Hotel and Plaza on the River Club and Residence were awarded Gold award by the Green Tourism Business Scheme. The two-way bins are a great example to sow our passionate about sustainable environment.

We are working very hard to achieve fantastic results and feedback, and our passion toward hospitality and looking after guests, meet their expectations are one of the main part of it

I am looking forward welcoming you back soon.

Bonn, Germany
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Staff is very friendly, rooms are big and have all you could want, but the separation door from the other room is too thin (noise). Dogs were allowed and everyone makes an effort to let you feel very welcome.

• Stayed April 2014
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Corinne196912,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay with us at Plaza on the River Club & Residence.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed our service, facilities, food and your appreciation of how well appointed our rooms are. It is indeed a bonus that dogs are allowed in the apartments.

I do hope that you have now found your permanent base whenever you visit the capital, and will come and stay with us again in the near future.

Brasschaat, Belgium
Reviewed April 15, 2014

excellent hotel, friendly staff, not far from the Big Ben (walking distance even with childeren). glad we've found a place where we could stay together as a family (2adults and 3 kids), normally we have to book 2 rooms. very large apartment, very clean. breakfast in Chino Latino was great. we will come back to this hotel when visiting London again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear NathalieM Family,

Thank you for choosing Plaza on the River Club and Residence whilst staying in London and thank you for sharing all your valued comments via Trip Advisor. Indeed the two bedrooms apartments are perfect for families visiting London. The kitchen facilities are an extra especially when you are travelling with children.

I was happy to read that you were extremely satisfied with the our Hotel and that we enhanced your stay with our service. I will now share your feedback with all our team.

I am looking forward to welcome you again at Plaza on the River and please do not hesitate to recommend us to your family and friends.

Kindest regards,
Kent
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Great hotel would recommend to all ...... We stayed for our anniversary and could not have asked for anymore ...... Service was great and friendly staff ...The room was very clean and spacious and we also stayed for breakfast which was very nice ... We will be 100% be back to visit A*****

• Stayed April 2014
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Chantal1529,

Happy Anniversary.
I am delighted to hear that you have chosen Plaza on the River Clun and Residence to celebrate such a special occasion.

My colleagues and myself are looking forward welcoming you back in a year time for yet again one more anniversary if not sooner.

Please feel free to contact me directly to assist you with the booking.

Atvidaberg, Sweden
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Excellent hotel to stay at if you have a large family and doesn't want to need to book two rooms at the ordinary hotel chains in the city. Located in a quiet part not far from everything you wanna visit. The standard is well above every other London hotel in this price range.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff, they are quit helpful in choosing the right room for you!