“Absolute Best Place to Stay in London”
Review of Plaza on the River

Plaza on the River
Ranked #249 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 2, 2008

We just returned from a trip to London and Paris and stayed in three different hotels. The Plaza on the River in London was the best location. The room amenities are just fantastic as exactly as described on their website. The services are better than excellent. When we called down for a service, the person was up at our room in less than a minute each time.

My family and I are very picky about a lot of things including the comfort of the bed, room temperature, internet access, service times, privacy, lack of noise, etc. We not only had nothing to complain about but enjoyed the most peaceful stay.

Being adjacent to a 5-star hotel, the facility has all the amenities of a hotel as well as a long-stay suite. While it is 0.7 miles from the nearest tube station, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel with very frequent service. There is also a small grocery store a few feet from the hotel so we cut down on our expenses by cooking in the room.

Overall, the best long-term stay among the hundreds we have used in the past.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed June 29, 2008

i have never written a review before but other trip advisor reviews have really helped me and so i thought i'd put in my two cents:

i just got back from the plaza on the river. i stayed with my two small children.

trip advisor reviews were spot on. the place could not have been cleaner or the rooms nicer. the appliances are reputuable european makes like miele. the staff are very helpful. the room we were given was a one bedroom suite. but as it faced part of the railroad, it was noisy. i requested a change and as luck would have it, a full-on river facing unit became available the next day and they offered it to us with no further charges. the ac was broken, the shower clogged, the closet door broken in this new unit. but maintenance came right away and very quickly and politely fixed everything.

room service is quick and quite good, the restaurant downstairs pricey but good, also. and in the mornings, there are pain au chocolate, croissants, and freshly squeezed orange juice downstairs right by elevator as you get off. my kids loved that. there is also a small but well-stocked convenience food shop just around the corner and as you have a full kitchen, you could very well make use of it -- if you wish.

it is a bit out of the way and be mindful of rooms facing the rail, but other than that, i have no reservations what so ever with this place. it was perfect for little kids who eat at all times of the day; it is close to vauxhall station and i absolutely loved the view!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank all4comfort
Reviewed June 8, 2008

This was my second stay at this hotel after an absence of two years. I asked for and recieved a complimentary upgrade from the open format studio suite to a one bedroom apartment. Nice view of the river from both the bedroom and the living room, much better than looking into the airshaft in the middle of the building like my last stay. The maid service for the room was always top notch, they even did the dishes each day. Room has a washer/dryer for those on extended stays and the kitchen was well equipped for those who would prefer to eat breakfast in or a light meal. No oven, but a microwave and a two burner cooktop. I did dine one night at the Hotel restaurant and it was excellent with a very friendly wait staff. My meeting for the week was just down the street but I am sure that the complaint about this hotel is its location on the Embankment across from Parliment. For me it never seemed to be a problem, there was a bus stop a very short walk from the Hotel that goes to Victoria, Oxford Circus or to Trafalger Square, or the Vauxhall tube station for the Victoria Line is a short walk the other way. For runners or walkers the river walk is just outside the door and goes on for miles along the river, a great morning run. I was very pleased overall with the hotel and the staff. I will stay again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2008

After reading the reviews on this site, I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel. We were somewhat disappointed. The hotel itself is lovely, and the rooms are spacious and well appointed. But I had been told it was "directly" across from the Houses of Parliment, and 1 block from the Vaxhall tube station. It was several blocks to the station. It was also further down the south bank than expected, and I was not too comfortable walking in that area late at night. We have always stayed in the Knightsbridge area before, and I guess we just prefer that location. It will be interesting to see what happens as that area of London becomes more developed.
We didn't make use of the kitchen, but it would be nice to have if one was on an extended stay in London. Although, again it was a bit far from things to return to for lunch while sightseeing. I was pleasantly surprised to find a washer/dryer and used it to wash some panties.
Our major complaint was that the cigarette smoke from the front of the hotel seemed to funnel directly up into our room through the ventilation. It was terrible in the mornings!! When we said something to the reception desk, they simply acknowledged that it was a problem. Otherwise, the reception staff was very helpful and friendly.
Because of the ventilation issues I would be reluctant to recommend this hotel to non-smokers, but it would be good for business travelers using cabs to get around.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank dutchmare
Reviewed May 9, 2008

Fantastic luxury apartments with stunning views over the river thames and the houses of parliament.
First class restaurant at Chino Latino with specialised cuisine and an extensive wine list without costing the usual top london restaurant prices.
We didn't even have to get on the tube to see the sights and sounds of central london, just a peiceful walk along the river to alomost everywhere you need for a perfect weekend in london.
Great staff and the attention to detail was brilliant.
Simply nowhere better to stay in lodon especially at these prices.
Geoff Edwards

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GeoffEdwards69
Reviewed May 8, 2008

Before booking this hotel, I took a look at all the reviews that were excellent. However, after a 3 days stay, I must admit that I'm a little bit disappointed: the sofa bed was broken and when I asked the reception to get another room, I was given the another room with a sofa bed which was broken as well.
So, due to the price of this hotel, I'll rate it as neutral/average

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank uzvilo
Reviewed May 8, 2008

I stay in these fab apartments every week that I am in London - and to be honest will not stay anywhere else - they really give me the pied a terre experience that I need. They are really well equipped, clean and stylish. If you get one with a river view and balcony there's absolutely nowhere better. The facilities are great - very trendy bar and the restaurant is also fab - food is excellent.

The location is good - just close enough to everything to be in touch and yet far enough away from the busy West End...... A great spot to go walking from along the river.

The staff are really friendly - there's a 'nothing too much trouble' approach from them all and if you are lucky enough to become a regular they greet you by name and give just the right amount of attention.

Little touches like the pastries, juice and newspapers by the lift in the mornings are great.

The River Bank Park Plaza hotel is good too - but it's the apartments that really deserve praise.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business