“Amazing experience”
Review of Plaza on the River

Plaza on the River
Ranked #250 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my boyfriend; as I am moving away to Italy for a year, I wanted a hotel that was very special so that we could have a memorable final weekend together. The Park Plaza Riverbank did not disappoint. I had chosen to book the one bedroom suite with a river view and balcony. When we arrived to check-in, the receptionist informed us that we would have to wait a little longer before going to our room, as the previous guests had left it in such a mess. She said she was aware that we were celebrating a special occasion and that she wanted the room to be perfect for us. In order to apologize for having to make us wait an extra hour, the hotel gave us a free upgrade, a bottle of wine and free breakfast for the both of us. The staff were so lovely and wiling to go out of their way to make our stay special. The room itself was amazing! We'd been upgraded to the two bedroom river view suite with balcony (a little unnecessary for us as we only needed the one bedroom, but fantastic nonetheless). It was like having our own apartment for the weekend, and the view from the balcony, looking over the Houses of Parliament and Thames, was incredible. The hotel is in a great location, the staff were superb and the suite was amazing. I cannot recommend this hotel enough. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The suites with a river view and balcony are fantastic - guaranteed a great view from the balcony, n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Dear Sarah P,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at Plaza on the River Club and Residence.

I was very glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you had everything (or even more) you wished for. Please accept my apologize for the slight delay with your check in, however I am proud to see that my team managed to handle the situation well and you had a pleasant stay.

Hope we will be able to welcome you back when visiting London.

Cordiali saluti,

Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful weekend staying at the Plaza on the River. The hotel was truly superb from start to finish, with a fantastic room, excellent room service, great facilities and friendly staff.

OK, it's south of the river, so maybe not in the absolute centre of London, but this brings two big advantages - firstly, you get fabulous views of the Houses of Parliament and London Eye (if you get the right rooms - more later); secondly, it's good value, at least for London.

For us, the location was a positive advantage, in that it was away from the tourist hustle and bustle whilst being only 10 mins from Vauxhall or Waterloo tubes. There are always taxis waiting right outside. We were staying in London to attend a wedding in Hampstead Heath, north London, and the Plaza was a good base for this even though it's at the other end of town.

Our room was a two-bed riverview suite complete with massive balcony and superb views up the river to Westminster. You do need to be careful when booking, as 'Riverview' probably means you'll be looking south to Battersea; you have to make sure the room description includes 'balcony' to get the views north. This is one hotel that in future I will call rather than book online to make sure I get the room I want, and I suggest you do too.

Back to the room, or suite of rooms. Our two-bed with balcony was massive, with two bedrooms (one double, one twin), two bathrooms (both with shower, one with bath), two desks, a dining table for 6, sofa, arm chair and an amazing balcony overlooking Albert Embankment and up river. The furniture is showing a few signs of use but everything worked and it was very comfortable. There's also a well-equipped kitchen with kettle, Nespresso machine, toaster, hob, dishwasher and washer-dryer. You could be very comfortable here for a week or more, and with so much space it would easily absorb four people.

We had breakfast in the room both days and it was superb, arriving bang on time. We also had room service one night to enjoy the amazing view from our room and that was superb also, and good value.

The staff were excellent and attentive throughout and very professional, sorting out some confusion over our booking with aplomb. Particular credit must go to Aneta on the front desk.

A great hotel in a great city; we will return.

Room Tip: Call them to make sure you get the view you expect! 'Balcony' means you see Westminster; Ri...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stuart K

Dear Stuart K,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at The Plaza on the River Club and Residence.

I'm glad you had wonderful stay with us it is great to see that we ticked all the boxes for you, service room & location.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Normally, I would rate this hotel 4 star. We have stayed here before, have returned for the spacious rooms and iconic views but I wish we had not prepaid, then leaving would be an option.
I am currently in my room, trying to come to terms with the horrendous noise of two enormous jack-hammers involved in demolishing the building next door. We are 11 floors up,directly overlooking the demolition site, so if others book this hotel then ask for a room on the other side, where the building site is further advanced. Or better still, go somewhere else!
In my experience of hotels, which is extensive, hotels normally post a warning on their websites when inconvenience to this extent, could be anticipated because of building work.At the time of writing this, no such warning had been posted.
The hotel's response to our situation, which in my case is genuine distress, as I can't rest, relax, listen to the television, read a book or have any down time at all because of the noise, has been mixed. Particularly noteworthy, was the attitude of the duty night manager last night, who virtually accused me of making it all up and threatening to put the phone down on me. In contrast, today,Samantha, the duty manager was charming and pleasant but the only solution was to move us to a room with no external windows in a hopefully quieter location. This is not an option as i cannot spend a week in a room with absolutely no view.
This is beyond unpleasant and the fact that there seems to be little that can be done is making me feel very powerless, in a situation for which we have paid a considerable amount of money.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kuwaitescape

Dear kuwaitescape,

I'm very sorry for the shortfalls you experienced whilst staying with us. Your comments have been discussed with our team here and will be shared throughout all departments.

We endeavour to use all our guests’ reviews to constantly improve the level of service and standards that we are able to provide to our guests.

In the event you would be coming back please do contact me directly and I shall arrange all the necessary to make sure you have an enjoyable stay.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed here for a week earlier this month.

Pros:
- Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful
- Housekeeping was excellent
- Got upgraded to a class of room better than we booked, very nice surprise
- Got a good deal on rates via Priceline name your own price
- Each suite has its own fridge and washing machine, so you can keep your own snacks, etc. on hand and can also do laundry at no additional charge and without leaving your room

Cons:
- Had some maintenance issues with the fridge and garbage disposal not working, these issues were unable to be sorted out while we were there.

Hotel addressed the maintenance issue by moving us to a different room and paid us for some food that had spoiled in the fridge. I found this to be a satisfactory resolution to the situation.

Overall I was very pleased with our stay. Vauxhall tube is about a 10min walk away and there's a Sainsbury's and Waitrose right there.

Excellent curry place nearby, The Coriander, that will deliver to the hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Creighton L
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear Creighton L,

Thank you for your lovely comment posted on Tripadvisor. I can assure that your message will be passed on to the entire team here at Plaza on the River Club and Residence, especially the Housekeeping Team. It is great to see that their inspirational service to provide an excellent customer service is appreciated.

Once again, please accept my apologize for the mysterious issue with the main fridge during your stay in the first room. It has been now re-gased and working fine.

We are looking forward welcoming you back at Plaza on the River.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

If you want spacious, the 1-bedroom suite is the way to go. All the amenities, beautiful large bathroom, room for ll your luggage, spacious closets, and beautiful views of the Thames if you upgrade to a river-view room. BUT, it is on the other side of the river from all the major attractions and neighborhoods you want to visit and a 15 minute walk to the nearest tube station.

It is also noisy! We were awakened at 6:00 in the morning by a vibration in the wall of the bedroom. The same vibration occurred two days later around 10 pm as we were trying to sleep and continued into the next morning when we reported it to the hotel maintenance staff. They were still trying to figure it out when we left.

So: pros - large rooms, beautiful views at extra cost, good restaurant and mostly helpful staff (one man at the front desk had an attitude and was unpleasant, but everyone else was friendly and eager to help. Cons: far away from everything, noisy.

Room Tip: If you stay here it is because you want space. Splurge and get a view room, too!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank teampaul
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear teampaul,

Thank you very much for your review and please accept my apologize for the mysterious noise disruption from next door.

I hope you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful river view apartment. Please feel free to contact us prior to your next visit to book one of our rooms with balconies, that also have views towards Houses of Parliament and Big Ben.

The Guest Relations Team and myself are happy to assist you and looking forward welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

First the positives:
- Friendly staff, especially at breakfast
- Comfortable rooms
- Well located - easy walk or bus ride to Vauxhall Underground / Rail station or Waterloo Underground / Rail, London Eye / London Dungeon / SeaLife London, and even Westminster
- Clean
- Good (but small) gym facilities
- Great views (as long as you get a river view, even when looking up towards Vauxhall Bridge)
- Very responsive to requests for assistance

Now the small glitches:
- Monotonous breakfast buffet (and sometimes we were really worried that some of the fruit had been recycled too many days)
- The plumbing is a bit "iffy" - every now and again there would be a definite sewer smell in the bathroom
- Our drawers were definitely rummaged through by service staff, and my son's one jacket disappeared from the room
- Walls and floors /ceilings are quite thin - sound does travel, especially when there is an event in the ballroom

On balance, the "glitches" are just that small irritants, and we will return again should the opportunity arise!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view, even if you have to pay for it (although yo may get a view towards Vauxhall Br...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ribbie_001
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Dear Ribbie_001,

Thank you for your review and feedback on your arrival and the helpful staff, I apologise for few ‘glitches’.

I would like to inform you that the Breakfast Team along with our Food & Beverage Manager are currently reviewing the breakfast items and presentations. I hope we will be able to start the new buffet soon.

I was concerned to read about the loss of your son’s jacket. May I kindly ask you to contact us directly with more details about your reservation so I can follow up on this?

We look forward to serving you on your next visit and just a reminder for an external view towards Big Ben and Houses of Parliament, you will need to select a room with a Riverview & Balcony.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I really want to give this hotel 5 stars we stayed for 7 nights.

This part of my holiday had been planned forover 12 months and Gabriella and Kamila had been extremely patient and helpful with all my questions. Jean-Jacques and Adam were equally terrific planning the menu formy 50th birthday cocktail party. Outstanding service by all of them. 5 stars

The food at Chino Latino is fantastic and some of the best food I have had. 5 stars.

So was the bar, great cocktails.

My cocktail party was amazing, the food done by Chino Latino and my guests are still raving about it and so am I. 5 stars

We had a 2 bedroom suite which was great and perfect for our stay and for our party with amazing views over the Thames to Big Ben. Yes there is construction on either side but the noise didn't effect our experience at all. Some of the furniture and cupboard doors looked well used and they need to be fixed and updated, it just looks a little tired. Although you only notice this after a few days. 4 stars

Housekeeping were good, we left them notes on our extra needs and they were fulfilled and when we asked for some maintenance to be done it was done so immediately. Everytime we called housekeeping someone would call the room not long after they had fulfilled our request which was good but sometimes a little annoying when you requests several things a day but I would rather be loved tha ignored!

Concierge was fantastic, special thanks to Ardit for organsing our car for the day and to Adelino for making sure it was picked up and organising such brilliant weather for the party! They also made booking tickets for shows and tours a breeze.

This hotel more than met our needs and with just some minor updating it really deserves 5 stars for every aspect.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank EmmCeeAustralia
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear EmmCeeAustralia,

Thank you for your praising comments posted on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at Plaza on the River Club and Residence.

I am so happy to read that you had a memorable experience with us and appreciated the quality of food and cocktails and the professional service provided by the staff through your stay, especially highlighting some many individuals across the different departments.

We are all happy to deliver inspirational service to ensure all our guests are leaving with a positive feedback.

I wish you a lovely journey for the last leg of your birthday celebration trip.

Warm Regards,