“Nice, but somewhat disappointed”
Review of Plaza on the River

Plaza on the River
Ranked #267 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 5, 2008

After reading the reviews on this site, I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel. We were somewhat disappointed. The hotel itself is lovely, and the rooms are spacious and well appointed. But I had been told it was "directly" across from the Houses of Parliment, and 1 block from the Vaxhall tube station. It was several blocks to the station. It was also further down the south bank than expected, and I was not too comfortable walking in that area late at night. We have always stayed in the Knightsbridge area before, and I guess we just prefer that location. It will be interesting to see what happens as that area of London becomes more developed.
We didn't make use of the kitchen, but it would be nice to have if one was on an extended stay in London. Although, again it was a bit far from things to return to for lunch while sightseeing. I was pleasantly surprised to find a washer/dryer and used it to wash some panties.
Our major complaint was that the cigarette smoke from the front of the hotel seemed to funnel directly up into our room through the ventilation. It was terrible in the mornings!! When we said something to the reception desk, they simply acknowledged that it was a problem. Otherwise, the reception staff was very helpful and friendly.
Because of the ventilation issues I would be reluctant to recommend this hotel to non-smokers, but it would be good for business travelers using cabs to get around.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank dutchmare

Reviewed May 9, 2008

Fantastic luxury apartments with stunning views over the river thames and the houses of parliament.
First class restaurant at Chino Latino with specialised cuisine and an extensive wine list without costing the usual top london restaurant prices.
We didn't even have to get on the tube to see the sights and sounds of central london, just a peiceful walk along the river to alomost everywhere you need for a perfect weekend in london.
Great staff and the attention to detail was brilliant.
Simply nowhere better to stay in lodon especially at these prices.
Geoff Edwards

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GeoffEdwards69
Reviewed May 8, 2008

Before booking this hotel, I took a look at all the reviews that were excellent. However, after a 3 days stay, I must admit that I'm a little bit disappointed: the sofa bed was broken and when I asked the reception to get another room, I was given the another room with a sofa bed which was broken as well.
So, due to the price of this hotel, I'll rate it as neutral/average

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank uzvilo
Reviewed May 8, 2008

I stay in these fab apartments every week that I am in London - and to be honest will not stay anywhere else - they really give me the pied a terre experience that I need. They are really well equipped, clean and stylish. If you get one with a river view and balcony there's absolutely nowhere better. The facilities are great - very trendy bar and the restaurant is also fab - food is excellent.

The location is good - just close enough to everything to be in touch and yet far enough away from the busy West End...... A great spot to go walking from along the river.

The staff are really friendly - there's a 'nothing too much trouble' approach from them all and if you are lucky enough to become a regular they greet you by name and give just the right amount of attention.

Little touches like the pastries, juice and newspapers by the lift in the mornings are great.

The River Bank Park Plaza hotel is good too - but it's the apartments that really deserve praise.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Flemmy
Reviewed April 21, 2008

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. It is just amazing. The suites are wonderful, the views superb. When I arrived I was upgraded without even asking - even though I was on a fairly cheap rate. The staff were friendly, the restaurant and room service is great, the rooms are clean beyond belief and the complimentary toiletries etc are superb. The gym could have a better entertainment system but I honestly think that is the only criticism I could possibly clutch at.
If you are going to be in London, this is the place to stay. If only more were like this.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank TheSavvyTraveller
Reviewed April 8, 2008

Husband booked this hotel in London for my 40th birthday. He booked it through lastminute.com so got it at half the usual price! An absolutely fab hotel! All the staff at the hotel were extremely attentive and nothing was too much trouble (you would probably expect this at a 5* hotel!) The suite we stayed in was well equipped and had a partial view over the river Thames. Within 15min walk of the London Eye, Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey.
The in-house restaurant (Chino Latino) provided us with THE most delicious food (we got a 25% discount for being guests). Once again the service and ambience of the restaurant reflected the overall impression of the hotel.
Only 1 negative comment: the suite was unbearably hot! We stayed in February when the weather is noramlly very cold but it was fairly warm and the climate control just didn't sem to be functioning properly.
Overall would rate the hotel 10/10 and would DEFINITELY stay there again!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on second trip to London. We are quite picky with our choices and were very pleased with this hotel. Admitted Trip Advisor junkies, we read all the reviews of this hotel and others before booking our trip. Our big "musts": cleanliness, location, ambiance, and as close to 5 star quality as possible. City Inn Westminster was booked the week we chose to travel so we decided to try the Plaza on the River, just across the Thames river. The hotel is really two hotels in one. Riverbank Park Plaza and then the Plaza on the River. They share the same public areas and restaurants. The Park Plaza Hotel has it’s own reception area and offers a more upscale suite style hotel experience & I am assuming the best views of the city. CLEANLINESS: This hotel was very clean! The lobby, reception, restaurants and guest rooms were spotless. Not one complaint. Everything looked and smelled new. LOCATION: just a few blocks up from the Vauxhall tube station and across the Thames from the Tate Museum. This hotel faces the river. The best form of transportation to a Tube station is via the bus. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel, that will take you directly to the Vauxhall Tube station or in the other direction to a number of other bus routes. You could walk to Vauxhall or to Parliament Square in about 10 minutes. The hotel is not in a busy tourist area with cars and buses whizzing by. AMBIANCE: my husband and I dislike fussy and overly ornate décor. The hotel is beautiful with classic, clean lined furniture and decorations. Modern with touches of Japanese themed art in the public areas, as well as a touch of this theme in the guest rooms. There is a great bar and restaurant in the lobby of this hotel; Chino Latino was a great romantic dinner. GUEST ROOM: We stayed in an open floor plan suite. It had a storybook, picturesque view of London. Our balcony and living room window overlooked the Thames river and the houses of Parliament and London Eye. Amazing!! This room had a kitchenette with refrigerator, stove, silverware, plates and glassware. We took advantage of the small grocery store next door to the hotel and had breakfast and lunch in the room several times during our stay. We really enjoyed that perk. The bedroom was comfy. The bathroom was wonderful! Marble floors, huge walk in marble shower and nice sized vanity. Huge soaking bathtub. Having a living room with a chair and sofa along with the kitchenette and a desk to work from was first-rate. It was like we had our own “flat” or apartment for the entire week we were in London.
This is a large hotel, but it remained very quiet. It was pleasant to return to after very long days of site seeing. We were treated well and had absolutely no issues with this property. We did not utilize the business or spa facilities. Cecile in the reception area was super, she had suggestions of sites to visit and truly seemed to enjoy her work. I would highly suggest this hotel and room level!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple