“Beautiful, what a stay”

Ranked #226 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Beautiful, what a stay”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We booked this hotel rather last minute as we decided to visit London as a birthday treat for my daughter. We stayed in the apartments. Our apartment overlooked the Thames; we had a great view. And what an apartment it was! Perfect, we couldn't complain. Spacious rooms and bathrooms; a large living area; floor to ceiling windows with great views.
Also, the staff on arrival were excellent (thank-you for the Champagne). I would thoroughly recommend a stay here.
We also chose to buy continental breakfast at the hotel. There's really nothing close by at which to buy breakfast and the one provided by the hotel is very good.
I like to run and the hotel's position was ok for this. (A hotel on Park Lane would be better as you can then run in Hyde Park but a hotel on Park Lane would be a little more expensive!). However, there's a great run East to Hungerford Bridge, across the Thames, Down Whitehall past Downing St, past the Houses of Parliament and the Tate before crossing Vauxhall bridge and back to the hotel - about 5k.
The only downside is the position of the hotel. It's on the south bank and the only sensible way to get into the heart of London is by taxi. This broadly means that you add £20 to your travelling costs per day (£10 into the West End and £10 back). Don't let this put you off, this is a wonderful hotel and I would strongly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Graham W
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Graham W,

Thank you for taking the team to leave us such a positive review on tripadvisor. I am very pleased you found the apartment overlooking the River Thames to your liking and I hope your daughter enjoyed her birthday stay with us. It is also great to hear that you had an excellent champagne arrival whilst stay with us at Plaza on the River – Club & Residence.

We are ideally located for running and although we have a fitness room on the fifth floor open 24hrs many guests like yourself opt for a scenic run along the river. Our concierge also can suggest some running routes within the area.

I am pleased you enjoyed breakfast in Chino Latino and I will forward your positive feedback to the team. Our nearest transport link into the city is Vauxhall station which is only a 6-8 minute walk down Albert Embankment where you can pick up the Victoria Line 2 stops into the heart of London.

We thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and a strong recommendation and we do look forward to welcoming you back to Plaza on the River – Club & Residence on your next trip to London.

Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Avon, Ohio
Reviewed May 21, 2013

First time going to London and staying for 4 nights so I wanted to be comfortable. Decided on Plaza on the River because they specialize in suites, close enough to walk to Westminster Abbey, and most important: The best View of the River Thames with Big Ben and the Parliament Buildings! However, this came with a price, but it was worth it. there were a couple of cons such as: The washer and dryer in our one bedroom suite was one of those dual kinds. The wash was perfectly fine, but I turned the dryer on and my clothes were still very damp after 4 hours of drying. I called housekeeping and they said they would just dry the clothes themselves. Perfect. Problem solved. The floor near the living room window was kind of dirty and I even saw footprints (not mine). For a couple of days it was like that, but they must've seen it too and cleaned it because it was gone by the time we left for the airport. Despite these minor problems I gave this hotel an Excellent rating because the view was absolutely stunning! It was wonderful to wake up to the view everyday

Room Tip: Get a one bedroom suite with patio/ balcony and you will have THE best view of London
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nikkospam
Dear nikkospam,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Plaza on the River – Club & Residecne and I am so pleased to hear your first stay in London was a memorable one.

I must first apologise for the issue you experienced with housekeeping. Whilst I am pleased that one of the team spotted the issue you mentioned before you left us, I am disappointed that it was there in the first instance. All our apartments go through thorough inspection by senior levels after being serviced before they are released to myself and my team in order to check you in. I have forwarded your feedback into relation to this to our Executive Housekeeper to raise with his team.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Tripadvisor and we are thrilled you have left an Excellent rating for us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Plaza on the River on your next trip to London.

UK
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I booked a studio room at Plaza on the River, having stayed here before a couple of times before. The club residence is part of the Plaza hotel but is a separate entity of self catering studios and apartments. On arrival at reception, I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment. I travel a lot, and have stayed in all classifications of hotels. These studios and apartments are truly hard to beat in London. The 2 bedroom suite was the size of a proper apartment, with a main living area, kitchenette with washing maching, full sized fridge, coffee and tea making equipment. There is a full sized separate desk for working, and the whole apartment looks out over the river Thames. What a view!! The rooms are exceptionally clean, all the furnishings are modern and they work! The bathrooms are spacious and modern, with a full bath and separate shower. TVs are flat screen, there is free wifi, and because the suites form part of the main hotel (athough they have their own separate check-in), you benefit from the restaurant/bar/fitness facilities that you would normally expect from a 4 or 5 star hotel in London. The bar serves excellent cocktails and were able to provide my party with a very late night room service meal at 12.30am. I honestly cannot fault this place and would never choose to stay anywhere else when visiting London. I was even able to get two of my friends to use the second bedroom, and the hotel did not charge us any extra for the priviledge. The staff are courteous, smartly dressed, friendly and professional. Please give these rooms a try - I promise you you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank jetix
Dear jetix,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on tripadvisor and choosing to stay with us here at Plaza on the River – Club & Residence.

Thank you for leaving detailed positive feedback and I am pleased my team was able to meet your request of an upgrade. It is excellent to hear that you welcomed in some additional guests to take advantage of the two bedroom apartment overlooking the River Thames.

Your feedback has been relayed to all departments concerned especially housekeeping and it is really good to hear that you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to London and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.
Thank you again for leaving such a positive review.

Oxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed here as a couple and also with family.
The hotel is in an excellent location with great views ( you do have to pay considerably more for said rooms but worth it !!!!)
As for the staff very experienced very polite can't do enough for you and enjoy there work which is evident in their smiles ps other hotels take note !!!!!!
The rooms are clean and well equipped
Also the breakfast was very nice good selection all very fresh.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to all
Everything is a ten minute walk ie London eye London dungeons restaurants
Just to finish it was my wife's birthday they left a card and bottle of wine complimentary in our room (nice touch) love this place one of my favourites in London !!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jamil786
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing to us and we are pleased to read of your satisfaction whilst staying with us.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Kindest Regards,
Burnley
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Travelled to London with husband and four year old son for his birthday treat. Free upgrade on arrival to 2 bedroom suite which was fantastic. Two spacious bedrooms, beautiful ensuite bathrooms, good-sized living/dining area and well equipped kitchen. There was a large balcony with stunning views of Big Ben and the London Eye. The suite was spotlessly clean, great coffee machine and good quality magazines. Only two minor niggles - the bathrobes had seen better days and we could have done with bedside lamps for reading but all in all a fabulous place to stay.

Room Tip: make sure you get a river view with balcony if possible
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Karen M
Dear Karen M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience

We look forward to welcoming you back at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence. Please feel free to contact us directly to book one of our Two bedroom apartments overlooking the river again.

Kindest regards,
Middleburg, Virginia
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel all round as long as you like the modern look and feel as we do.

Rooms are bright and spacious. Coffees and appliances are top quality.

Bathroom first rate with a wonderful shower. Gilchrest & Soames products supplied are very good.

We had a snack in Chino Latino downstairs. The food was delicious and presented as an art form.

Some might say that this hotel is on the wrong side of the Thanes but in my opinion it's fine.

We loved this hotel and highly recommend it!!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Middleburg_Wanderer
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Wow, thank you for posting your amazing review on Tripadvisor.

Glad you enjoyed our hotel and our great location as a base for your visit to London.

Thank you for your recommendation and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

A must for anyone wanting at special weekend or days away. Staff can't do enough to help you and the views are stunning. Ask for an upgrade to a river view and watch the Thames and Big Ben from the comfort of your suite. A hotel to go back to time and time again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sawilliams001
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this review, March 2, 2017
Dear sawilliams001,

Thank you very much for sharing such an amazing comment on Tripadvisor.

It was a pleasure to welcome you at Plaza on the River and I hope we will be able to welcome you back many other occasions.

Kind regards