“Loved the view of the river”
Review of Plaza on the River

Plaza on the River
Ranked #269 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nites at the Plaza On the River hotel mid March. We were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite overlooking the river. The suite and view were very nice. Having 2 bedrooms was more then enough space for a family of 4. Having a washer/dryer in the room was a bonus. Just wished the hotel included instructions on how to use. Rooms were clean but did notice the lack of lamps. Not that they were needed but most hotels have lamps beside the bed. Thought it was a little odd. Ordered room service and it was pretty bad. Ate breakfast at the hotel as it was included in rate. Breakfast was ok and like other reviews we grew tired of the selection.

Requested baby cot was already set up in the room when we checked in. And hotel restaurant had highchairs. There is a mini market down the street from the hotel.

Will stay here again as the staff were friendly, large suites and great location. Unfortunately there wasn't a large selection of restaurants close by and which was difficult with 2 toddlers.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank shoefly
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear shoefly,

Thank you for your review, I’m glad you and your family enjoyed our Two-bedroom apartment with River view.

I’m sorry to hear you were not satisfied with our Room Service. I have forwarded your comment to our Executive Head Chef to look into it.

I hope we can welcome you back soon tin the future.

Front of House Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a great hotel! I stayed for 2 nights in one of the apartments overlooking the Thames and its iconic surroundings. I was accompanied by my wife and 2 young children of 6 and 4. As soon as we arrived to the hotel a warm, friendly and welcoming atmosphere was felt. After being escorted to the checking in desk we were met by one of the cheerful, courteous and presentable staff members, Justyne. She was an excellent ambassador for the hotel and I was very appreciative that she interacted with my children and made them feel as equally guests at the hotel as I did. She further explained services and prices that were on offer and offered us a reduced rate to upgrade for a room with a balcony. I was pleased that I had accepted this offer because the views were amazing. As we had arrived earlier then the designated check in time our bags were checked in and was told if a room became available earlier that we will be notified. So due to the ideal location we took advantage to walk along the Thames and take in the sights within close proximity. Within 30 minutes I was informed that a room was ready and my bags will be sent up 2 hours before what I was entitled too. Ironically due to the position of the Hotel we were caught up in easily accessible sights and tourist attractions on our agenda i.e. London Eye, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall, Houses of Parliament, and Leicester Square. On an evening return to the Hotel the ambiance was set by the attractive and modern incorporated bar being enjoyed by families, couples and friends alike. As promised my luggage was delivered to the suite. I was impressed with the standard of the room. It was clean, perfectly decorated and facilitated with all the modern conveniences’. However this was eclipsed by the over whelming view of a neon lit London. We decide to eat at the superb Pan Asian hotel restaurant. The food was authentic and delicious, with a great children’s menu without the usual dumbed down and unimaginative offerings some restaurants provide. Again the waiting staff was engaging to all nationalities and maintained a respectful and professional demeanour with impeccable service. After a wonderful meal it was time to retire for the night. When we closed the door to our suite it felt like we were the only residents as there was no noise, random banging or late revellers returning being geographically challenged for their room. With a good night’s sleep we were ready for the second day. At breakfast we had decided for the continental option (£10 for adults, £5 for children) and the choice was more than sufficient. A well maintained selection of cereal, pastries, fruit, salmon, yogurts, meat, cheeses, fresh juices and more. This could be extended to a cooked option for the “Full English” desirers for £16. Again, there was no change with the staffs’ attention to detail. Set up for the day, we headed by foot for another day in the city. There was still so much to see, do and enjoy by foot if you enjoy walking as opposed to using public transport. On being exhausted by the busy days we felt confident enough to enjoy the suites facilities and relax for the remainder of the evening. Despite there being a large wedding being held at the hotel there was no impact or inconvenience to our stay. Once again peaceful night and an energising breakfast followed. With it now being Easter Sunday the staff had organised a more than impressive egg hunt. This was not a token effort and the staffs’ enthusiasm was clearly on display to ensure all the children had an experience to remember. Unfortunately the time had come to check out (1200hrs) which was easy and hassle free. I was asked if I had enjoyed my stay and if I had any dissatisfaction about any part of the weekend. Even to the end the level of service was outstanding. Asked if I would require a taxi by a member of staff by the name of Emelson, he arranged it so that a taxi was ready for me and my family on completion of checkout. Further to this he assisted with the loading of our baggage and safe departure from the hotel. My only negative point was with it being a 5* hotel you do encounter some diva moments from self-absorbed guests and witness the most disgraceful acts of rudeness towards staff. Despite this I will be back in August to celebrate my 10 year wedding anniversary.

Room Tip: Room 856, amazing view!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank benrookwood

Dear benrookwood,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us and for adding another 5 star rating.

My colleagues and I are delighted to hear that you had a fabulous weekend away. I am delighted to hear that many departments and staff members are being mentioned in your review as a proof that we provided such a wonderful experience for you. This is truly our aim for all our guests.
I am delighted you mentioned our Children Menu, which we have only recently introuced. Your comments are forwarded to the Chino Latino Brand Manager, with pleasure.
I’m pleased you enjoyed our facilities and we are looking froward welcoming you back in August.

Please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your reservation, where we would be happy assisting you with any special requests for yoru 10th anniversary.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is a very nice, comfortable hotel in a great location though it is a little expensive. If you are staying for a single day the fact you may have a kitchen or lounge will not really matter, but if you stay for a few days in London, it is really nice to have these things. The staff are friendly, the hotel is modern, clean and has a nice atmosphere. Parking is an issue of course as with many London hotels which when you throw in the congestion charge can be upto fifty pounds per day. One gripe is the amount you pay for a 'view' particularly if you are a club carlson member like myself. I really feel these minor things should just come as part and parcel of the room price, particularly if you are loyal enough to stay there. Bar this, I would recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have just returned from one night at this hotel for my husbands 40th birthday. We arrived at Waterloo tube station and did the London eye and the Rib boat trip before wandering to the hotel, just a short stroll along the river. Check in was great and we were very pleased with our one bed suite. We had asked for a great view and the view to Westminster and the eye was fantastic. My only negative was the balcony was very small and enclosed, but I think this may be the size for one beds. We were on the corner of the building and the view from the living room window more than made up for the balcony. (1056)
We liked the room so much we had evening room service and breakfast in the room. Both delicious and arrived at time requested.
In the evening we went to the west end and used Vauxhall tube station which again was a short walk.
I would definately book this hotel again. A little out of the way if you are not keen on walking, but even in the snow we took the most of the great position to walk along the southbank and walked to St Pauls.
Thanks to the whole team and for the little touches that made it special.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rachel l

Dear rache l,

Happy birthday to your husband again.

Thank you for your review and for choosing us for your special stay.

We are glad you could enjoy one of our spacious rooms.

Thank you for your feedback on the team’s inspirational customer service and I hope we can welcome you back soon for another celebration.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Since my last stay at the Plaza on the River I wondered if the hotel would maintain its quality and service. This month I stayed again for 5 days and must say that it is still ****.
Location is good, one room apparmentment is complete. I stayed on the inside of the hotel. No river view, but also not street noise. When you are out all day the view does not matter much.
Room service is good, nice chocolate on the pillow every night.
My price included breakfast. English breakfast is good, but why not offer a nice ommelet or so.
The bar-lounge still does not appeal to me after the many times I stayed here. Only 1 (Japanese) beer on draft. Trendy but not comfortable place to stay with friends or business colleagues. Time for a change! Elevators are too dark inside.
The room has excellent free internet wifi. A +++++.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are quiet
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Richard4570
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Mr. Richard4570,

Welcome back and thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.

I am delighted to hear that you are overall satisfied with your stay and we are looking forward welcoming you back.
Our award winning Chino Latino Restaurant has a varied menu selection on offer, however if there is something that you would like but do not see, please let us know and we will do our best to provide it for you.

With regards to your comment about our Bar, I have forwarded your comments to our Brand Manager to look into it.

I am looking forward welcoming you back when I hope we can meet personally.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Recently returned from a 2nd great stay hare. Even the entrance to this hotel is very impressive, a private 'sit down' area just off to the side of the main foyer for the sister 'park plaza embankment' hotel. A large room even for London standards, which was perhaps owing to my club Carlson status. All the features of a hotel but the space and privacy of a private apartment - look forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Paul B

Dear pazzalondon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence as our valued Club Carlson member.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and the view from the decking area overlooking to the river.

We hope we will be able to welcome you back the third time soon.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is my second stay at plaza on the river and to be honest normally im too lazy to write reviews but i actually thought that this hotel deserves recognition. The hotel is beautiful, some of the rooms offer you stunning views into london and the rooms are overall superb in them self. Most of all the staff are a pleasure. I have stayed in lots of hotels in london however without a doubt this has been one of the best and i would recomend it to everybody.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view if possible
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank nab187

Dear nab187,

Thank you very much taking the effort to post your review about your latest stay at Plaza on the River.

I am delighted to read how much your enjoyed the whole experience.

It will be my pleasure to share your feedback with the rest of the team and we hope to welcome you back soon.