“Great location”

Ranked #218 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Derby, England, United Kingdom
“Great location”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was a half term treat, booked a one bedroom apartment and at time of booking opted to try for upgrade to two or a balcony but the hotel was full so no upgrade possible. Very friendly staff at reception and in the Chino Latino restaurant. The room didn't have a coffee machine on arrival but this was quickly sorted when asked for. The weather was arctic freezing but the room was too hot. The air con struggled to get the room temperature down and was noisey, we did better the second night having cooled the room during the day. River view rooms are not affected by train noise and the double glazing is good at blocking road noise. The hotel has views down river to the Houses of Parliament but also a section which faces up river towards Vauxhall Bridge, it looks like the balcony rooms could look both ways.
The office block next to the hotel appears to be about to be converted into apartments, no building work going on while we were there.
We were offered a drink in the bar and discount at the restaurant on our first night, I think this was a standard offer.
Less than a mile to walk up to the Eye and Parliament Squ, and perhaps half a mile to the tube at Vauxhall.
Lovely Italian restaurant half way between hotel and the tube - Morati.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Andrew B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

A little sad as we chose this for a anniversary weekend in London

The room was lovely with a view of a derelict building and car park not the Thames as we requested!

The staff were not very friendly and quite a walk from anywhere! Not a two minutes we were told.

Howerever the hotel itself seemed very nice and the breakfast was great as were the breakfast staff!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Ratomo
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Ratomo,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

I am terrible sorry to hear that you we could not meet your expectations in some areas. We generally pride ourselves for not only delivering pleasant service for our corporate clientele, but also for those who choose our property for any special occasion.

I trust you will give us a future opportunity to meet and hopefully exceed your expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally on the address listed below should you decide to do so and we will ensure you do have a delightful stay.

With kind regards,
gkolber@pphe.com
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Lovely hotel, I booked it due to the reasonable price and #9 rating for best hotels in London on tripadvisor. My boyfriend and I spent one night at the Plaza on the river. Great location by the river - and it's only a short walk to the embankment, london eye etc. we actually walked to covent garden in no time at all.

The staff at this hotel are what make it great. From the moment we arrived the staff were very attentive, checking us in, and even gave us a room upgrade to a 1 bedroom apartment as I mentioned when booking it was a special occasion. The rooms are spacious and clean, and the 1 bed apartment has separate bath and shower. The only thing that was slightly annoying was that the TV in the lounge area didn't work but we didn't even bother to call down to get it fixed as we were only there for one evening and a morning, and we had another tv in our bedroom so it was really minor.

The hotel went out of their way to make us welcome, and even brought us a card and chocolates to celebrate our anniversary, really nice touch. We got a free drink in the bar, which was lovely and chic, and had we been there for another night I would have liked to sample the food in the restaurant.

We actually brought our own breakfast to cook in the apartment, as they are fully equipped with electric hobs, pots and pans, so we saved money on breakfast and ate in the privacy of our apartment.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel to those visiting London, the staff and customer service are what makes it great.

Room Tip: See if you can get upgraded to a 1 bedroom apartment. Views of the river are preferable.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rosie G
Dear Rosie G,

I am truly delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us & Happy Anniversary

Our Teams are really do enjoy delivering inspirational service to give you a truly memorable stay. I will pass on your comments to the team.

Please accept my apologize for the minor issue with the TV. We are currently upgrading the Hotel’s television and internet systems. This is part of the whole In-room communications review for Park Plaza Riverbank London and Plaza on the River – Club and Residence. In certain rooms it took a little longer to set up the system.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon at Plaza on the River.

Warm regards,
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed here for one night with my wife.
Good points:-
- warm welcome with pleasant, dedicated reception area
- welcome drinks voucher
- nicely designed room with plenty of space and facilities, including washing machine, hob, fridge/freezer, 2 TVs, bath and separate shower.

Bad points:-
- Wooden flooring in the room was seriously scratched and marked.
- Air Con doesn't cool in winter - confirmed by reception and engineer who visited my room after complaining. The room was too hot at 25 C and unable to be cooled with a little fan and windows that only open partially = uncomfortable and poor night's sleep.
- The TV is a pain to operate - very slow response and kept freezing whilst changing channel - i've used lots of in-hotel tv systems and this was the most painful to use. On complaining i was told that it was very fast compared to the old system - so it seems my expectations were clearly too high!
- Water pressure in the shower was feeble - this is supposed to be a 5* hotel and you do expect showers to be a bit special.
- Room service didn't seem to react to the call sign - I had it on for seven (7) hours and still no one came to service the room.
- I tried calling reception a few times whilst in the hotel and in each case there was no answer as the line was engaged. After about 10 minutes of trying I would get the lift and go and see them in person. They were always pleasant but didn't seem to be that bothered by the fact that i couldn't get through on the phone - as if it was normal.

All in all, a nice looking place let down by the little things that equate to an average experience rather than a great one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lordtug
Dear Lordtug,

Thank you for posting your comments online.

Please rest assured that your feedback is of great value to us and I will ensure that I will investigate the issues mentioned.

I would appreciate if you could contact me via email on gkolber@pphe.com, so that we can look into it and identify your reservation.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

dundee
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Thank you so much for an amazing few days where your team made me feel like royalty. The trip had been booked by my partner as I had had a difficult few months and needed a girls weekend away. Not only were myself and my friends upgraded once by email but we were then upgraded again on arrival to a 2 bed suite with a balcony. The view was fabulous and we loved every minute in the spacious, spotless room. It was my friends birthday and, not only were we given complimentary snacks and drink tokens for the bar but the staff even managed to find a cupcake with a candle for us at very short notice. The attention to detail in the rooms make them elegant and comfortable. The tube is close by to walk to and we found taxis affordable as all attractions are close by. We had also come to see a friend who lives in London and is currently on stage in a west end show and he was equally as impressed with Plaza on the river. I feel it deserves its 5 stars and really hope to come again. By far the best accomodation I have stayed in for a long time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank rufus73
Dear rufus73,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence. Please feel free to contact us directly to book one of our Two bedroom apartments overlooking the river again.

Kindest regards,

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed February 19, 2013

While this is not the cheapest hotel in London, in terms of value for what you actually get it wins hands down. The staff are very attentive and look after their guests from arrival to check out. I have stayed there three times and have only had good experiences.

Rooms are fantastic especially if you are working from them for a few hours a day. Both sleeping and working are a very comfortable experience. If you have the chance and want to pay the premium, the river view rooms offer a fantastic view of the north side of the river.

In short, if you have the money and value comfort when you are travelling, you will not go wrong here.

Room Tip: Go for the river view as a treat
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Yaniv C
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I always look at the law of averages when I review anything, especially hotel reviews. For those that had any significant problems with this hotel, I would be very surprised. The hotel, I would agree, is a little away from the hustle and bustle of the city - if this is what you are looking for, other hotels might be in order. On the contrary, you can walk to all the main attractions (Parliament, Big Ben, etc.) If it's winter time, bring lots of warm clothes because it's COLD!

The hotel upgraded me from a studio suite to a one bedroom river view suite as a gold member! Awesome room, that's all I have to say. When you are 5,000+ miles away from home, having a large suite with everything you need inside (washer, dryer, kitchen is just great). The service of the employees was great. So with that, I would absolutely recommend this hotel, especially if you have status with Club Carlson. A few very small nits, just to make mention of them are as follows:

-There's an older doorman that will not open the door for you, which I think is ridiculous. While I don't need the door opened for me, I think it is very silly when he just stands in the lobby area and just looks at people (contrastingly, the other doorman always open the door)
-While the gym is new, it won't give you the full work out you need
-The washer/drier combo does a bad job drying the clothes
-No control whether heater or A/C option is on (in other words, you can only turn on the heat during the winter, etc.)

Again, I recommend anyone stay here because you will be very happy with the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends