“Great place for families” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plaza on the River - Club and Residence

Plaza on the River - Club and Residence
Ranked #196 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Cincinnati
“Great place for families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed in a one bedroom suite with our two young children and found the room to be perfect for us. We loved having the kitchen and separate living area. The bathroom and room were very beatiful and clean, and we were able to easily walk to the Parliment area and Westminster Abbey. Even though our room was listed as limited view we could still see the Thames from the living room. Our only complaint was room noise from the adjoining room.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear GoBengals,

Thank you very much for taking the effort to leave a comment about your recent stay at Plaza on the River.
I am happy to read that apartment suited your family’s needs.

Please feel free to contact myself or my team in the future to reserve another apartment with the two bedrooms and/or overlooking to the River Thames, where you will have even more space.

I am looking forward welcoming you back.

Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Our room was really nice, big, clean, quiet, great bed and reasonable value, given London's silly hotel prices. But there was effectively only one receptionist on duty who seemed to peer endlessly into a computer, a long queue with many tired travellers and bored kids chaosing. When I finally got to the desk, I was told very politely that the Club and Residence desk was somewhere else. The sign at the front of the building was very small -- and no one to welcome guests when they came in, to point them in the right direction. So a half hour stressful wait for no reason. I think it is mean, too, at the price you asked (ca. £210) not to offer a continental breakfast -- there were free croissants and orange juice when you got off the lift, but why not do the thing properly?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment on Tripadvisor. I would like to apologies for the delay with your check in. This has been addressed with the Front Desk Staff.

Regarding the breakfast, please feel free to contact us directly to reserve a room in the future when we can offer you our best available rates as well as advise you on any current offers for the room and breakfast in our Chino Latino Restaurant.
Full breakfast or a la carte breakfast is also available.

I am looking forward welcoming you back at Plaza on the River.

Halifax, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed at this hotel from Friday 19th October for 2 nights. First impressions were good, there is a dedicated check in area and the receptionist was friendly. The welcome pack included a voucher for a round of drinks in the bar and 25% off at the restaurant. We had a one bedroom suite which was spacious and well equipped.

Unfortunately the good first impressions were short lived. The room was chilly so I attempted to use the air con to heat the room up. It would only blow out cold air. My partner went to reception to report this and we were advised that somebody would come and look at this. Nearly two hours later nobody had called so we telephoned reception. This time somebody was dispatched. We were advised that the entire building was set to summer mode so we could not use the air con to heat the room. Instead a heater was provided. It was not made clear if a decision had been taken to set the air con to summer mode in the second half of October (a strange decision if so) or whether it had broken down. But a loud portable fan heater such as you could pick up at Argos for £20 is not really what you expect to rely on for your heating in a 5* hotel. As only one was provided we had to move this about depending on which room we were using at the time. And the noise from it impacted on our enjoyment of the room.

Shortly afterwards I decided to take a bath. I used the handrail to help me out of the bath and had a nasty surprise as the handrail came off in my hand and I slipped. Luckily no serious damage was done but it is fortunate for both us and the hotel that it was not my pregnant partner who had taken the first bath. We did not report this but left the handrail to see if it was dealt with when the maids saw it, which to their credit it was. But this could have been much more serious and is simply not good enough for any hotel, let alone a 5*.

There are many lovely touches in the room. The bed was huge and comfortable, the entertainment system was excellent, the mini bar was well stocked, room service was good, chocolates on the pillow at night and we had a great time at the bar and restaurant. We were also given a complimentary drink in the restaurant to celebrate our engagement and pregnancy. If we had come on a different weekend when the heating was working and had a room with a safe bathroom then the stay would probably have been memorable for the right reasons. But due to the problems we experienced during our stay we cannot reasonably give more that 3*, particularly as our first day was ruined due to maintenance problems with the room which we should not have had to concern ourselves with. Based on this experience it is unlikely Plaza on the River will become our regular London hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tones-and-Sue
Dear Tones-and-Sue,

Thank you very much for your comment and please accept my sincere apologies for the incident with the bath tub handle. I was very concerned about this incident which we take very seriously and now has been rectified. I am glad that you are both fine. Please note nothing like this has happened before at Plaza on the River Club and Residence.

I understand the disappointment caused on this special occasion. I would like to assure you that this situation does not reflect the usual high standards that we operate with and how committed we are to all our guests. I am confident that the new measures now in place will restore the service to the high level that is expected from us.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future where you can experience the true hospitality of Plaza on the River.

Please feel free to contact me directly to arrange the reservation.

I am looking forward welcoming you back when I hope we can meet personally.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We, a family of 4 stayed in a one bedroom apartment for 2 nights at this place, which we booked as a secret hotel on one of the websites. The hotel, which is in the same building as Park plaza, has excellent views of the Big Ben and is about 10 minutes walk to London Eye and Big Ben. The rooms were spacious and clean. There was a kitchen with a Nespresso machine, kettle, cutlery, dishwasher and a washer dryer. the room was cleaned twice daily. We had dinner at the Latino bar, where the food and ambience were excellent. There was even free croissant and orange juice in the lobby, if you do not have time for breakfast. Overall a positive experience and would be happy to stay with them again

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear ts846,

Please feel free to contact us in the future should you like to return to stay with us again.

I am looking forward welcoming you back.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

We spent four nights here in a one bedroom apartment for myself, husband and 11 year old. Accommodation was ideal for the three of us we had a cracking view out to Big Ben and the House of Parliament with a balcony at the front, to be fair in October we didn't have much call for the balcony but it would be lovely on a sunny day.

The apartment was clean and tidy with almost everything you could ask for we were missing a dish cloth which was strange and turned up on the last day, but there was a dishwasher, washing machine/dryer, fairy liquid, dishwasher tablets, soap powder etc all there, as was a coffee machine, tea bags etc. the apartment had two TVs and an iPod dock. My one grumble and this is not the only place I have had this is that whoever designed the room must clearly have no hair that needs dried. They provide a good hair dryer but no plugs anywhere near a mirror! As a result you have to sit sideways on a bed with poor lighting trying to see in the full length mirror on the wall opposite a plug under the mirror would help, or a mirror on the desk unit etc would all make life easier for those of us wishing to use the dryer you provide!

The reception staff were lovely and helpful, bar staff a tad slow to serve a family rather than the business men who are obviously seen as better tippers but the bar itself was pleasant if chilly due to location by the door.

Overall the location is fabulous ten minute walk to the Eye, five minutes to Vauxhall Station and with a bus stop right outside you can easily use public transport to get around.

I'd stay there again without hesitation and recommend it to anyone looking for a good place to stay in London who want more than a room to stay in. I wouldn't pay for the upgrade balcony again though unless I planned to spend more time in the room than we did this time around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the House of Parliament but don't pay for the upgrade unless you will be u...
Dear amack,

Thank you very much for your comment on Tripadvisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us and you loved the apartment.
Apologies for the missing dish towels. Your comments have been passed on to our Housekeeping Team.

I would like to assure you that our staff are not prejudice to any guests, leisure or business. We have many guests stay with us who were satisfied with our service at the Bar. Nonetheless, I wish we had provided you with a much more positive experience.

Please feel free to contact me or my team in the future for a reservation, when we can assist you with another apartment with a balcony, even if it is for the summer when London is a lot warmer.

Tampere, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Our two bedroom suite was just great for our family of four. Room was clean and spacious, with every appliance we needed. The staff was very friendly and all the facilities in the hotel were really nice. Atmosphere in the hotel was very relaxed and pleasant. Only negative thing really was the way back to Heathrow airport. Hotel had arranged us transportation 7am on sunday, and after we left the car at the airport the driver caught us at the airport door and accused us of ruining his car. There was some brown/grey dirt on the backseat carpet (dried vomit/puke? not smelly). This I had seen already when coming into the car, and I told the driver we had not eaten or drinken anything in the car as he must have seen, neither puked on the floor. Our kids were a bit frightened of the drivers behavior, and I cant understand how he even thought that it was possible we have done something.
Anyway, we had a great holiday in this hotel and when coming back to London we surely will stay at the Plaza on the river again
Janne Korhonen

1 Thank Janne K
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear Janne K,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit at Plaza on the River Club and Residence.

I appreciate your positive comments about the hotel and your mentioning the friendliness of the staff.
Your sincere comments in relation to your journey back to Heathrow Airport are highly valued. I was concerned to read the way the driver treated you and your family and accused you of damaging your car. Our aim is to make sure that every one of our guests leaves with a feeling of satisfaction and I am truly sorry that we were not able to fully deliver that in your case.

Your comments were passed to the our Concierge Team and we both agreed not to use that company in the future.

Thank you for letting me know about it.

I am looking forward welcoming you back in London.

Warm regards,
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

As always, our stay at Plaza on the River was wonderful and relaxing. We feel very well looked after in all areas and any request we have is dealt with easily and professionally. The beautiful suites, the fabulous food, the great staff and all the little extras come together to make staying at this hotel very special. We spend at least 80-90 nights in a hotel during the year all around the world - US, Japan, UK, Australia - and this is really the very best hotel of all that we have stayed in. Christian, Gabriel and Barbara could not have been more accommodating and professional!!

Room Tip: Riverview is the best!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Doctor1947,

It is great to learn that you had a truly memorable experience with us and that is mainly owing to our employee’s friendliness and helpfulness.
I would like to thank you for your passionate commending words in relation to our staff, I will take great pride sharing your feedback with all of them, as nothing is more motivating than receiving such acknowledgement of their service passion.