“Good but not Great”

Ranked #218 of 1,069 Hotels in London
san diego
“Good but not Great”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed last week for 3 days. The Hotel is good but not great. We had a choice between a 5 star further east at Canary Wharf but choose the Plaza for the one bed suite with balcony and for the extra room. This was our last stay on a 4 week Europe tour and we wanted 5 star to end the trip.
Pros: Checkin was easy but there is only one desk so it can back up quickly as we found out at checkout. 5 star view up the Thames to BIgBen and the Eye. Very nice furniture, Ubber nice bathroom. Access to the balcony from both the bedroom and the livingroom. Very quiet with the windows and doors shut. Lots of drawers and closet space if you are inclined to unpack. Great dining experience, best head waiter ever.

Cons: On entry to the suite, it reaked of smoke. They did provide some air fresheners and eventually the smell went away. Had too wash everything to get the stink out. The staff has a 4 star attitude but it is sufficient. For $500us per night, we like to be treated as CEO's, not middle management. No racks to put the luggage on so bags lived on the bedroom floor, yuk. Both the Livingroom and bedroom have adjoining, secured doors to other suites.The doors were opened by staff to confirm this. About now we get a call from the hotel to say that there is a complaint from the next suite.They should have taken care of this without the phone call to us. Nothing in the suite other than bathroom towels to wipe down the kitchen counter. When we asked for teatowels, the reaction was that we did'nt look hard enough since they were obviously there.... nope, not there. True 5 star would have dropped the attitude and simply brought us the item. The wifi is very weak so you can't use it on the balcony. We opted for the inclusive breakfast which has a decent menue selection. Did'nt find out till the last day that there is also a buffet style in the restaurant. We were always seated near the entry and simply did'nt see the buffet alcove and were never told about it. Some staff in the restaurant wear hard soled shoes and it's very noisy on the wood floor when they're walking around.

All in all, a good stay but not great.

Room Tip: Any room ending in *55
1 Thank ezpzSanDiego
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear ezpzSanDiego,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of your recent stay at Plaza on the River Club and Residence.
I was sorry to read that certain parts of your stay did not live up to your expectations and I have shared your comments with the Housekeeping, Breakfast and Guest relations team.

However, I was pleased to read you liked your apartments overlooking to Houses of Parliament, London Eye.

I do hope I get the opportunity to welcome you back to Plaza on the River when you are next in London.

Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Wall to wall windows look out on the Thames. One could sit all day enjoying the view.
The service was over the top wonderful with one caveat for us.(below) When the room had an
issue, someone came immediately. We also received follow up calls to ensure we were
happy. This was a one bedroom, though I might have preferred a studio with balcony.
And the price was too much, so maybe Expedia not always the best choice. Check with
actual website first. They allowed us to stay an extra hour, someone ran around the
taxis for us when we needed to get to the train, finding one that accepted credit cards since we had spent every pence and it was too rainy for the long walk to the tube with all our stuff.
Only caveat: It did not look full when we arrived, but we were given a room on the 3rd
floor (above a ballroom and with a tree-filled view and without the promised tub. We
got help from a staffer and inched up to floor 5, but with what they consider the inferior
view! Away from Parliament etc. And I thought we looked respectable!
Still, we were quite happy and I would stay again. London is a pricey city.

Room Tip: check prices on a variety of sites. At reservation ask for the kind of room you want
Dear AntoinetteM,

Thank you very much for your comment on Tripadvisor and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

May I take this opportunity to Thank You personally for the positive comments you have awarded us across many Departments within the hotel working together to deliver excellent customer service. It always gives me great pleasure to share these with the team at our morning briefings.

Please feel free to contact us directly to assist you booking a room that is up to your satisfaction with a river view over to the Parliament and has a bath tub as well.

I am looking forward welcoming you back in London in the near future.

Dubai
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed with my wife for a week in a one bedroom apartment a year ago and we still remember the hotel and the excellent customer care from Sophia in the front office. The property is spotless in a great location and the friendly and well trained staff makes the whole experience just perfect. Well done and keep it up..... In London we don't search for hotels anymore, we know where to go.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear KXa22108,

Thank you very much taking the effort posting such a lovely comment on Tripadvisor a year after your stay.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon in the near future and meet the new member of my team who are also to proud to deliver exceptional customer service just like Sofia.

I am looking forward welcoming you back in your London-base home, Plaza on the River.

Best regards,
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I recently stayed with my 3 year old daughter and husband, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel. Prior to our stay, I emailed a grocery list over to the hotel to ensure my daughter's favourite brands of food were in the kitchen. A service that is very useful when travelling with a fussy toddler!
The 1 bed apartment we had was very clean and although we did not have a view, the size of room more than made up for it.
A special thanks has to be given to the front desk and room service staff who always tried to accommodate any requests we had. We look forward to staying again soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Chatwir,

We are very much honoured that you chose our hotel for your family holiday with your daughter.

I am happy to hear that you found our personal shopping services useful. We are happy to make our future guests stay as smooth as possible and ensure all our guests feel home away from home.

Please feel free to contact us in case you would like to return to stay with us again in order to book one of our apartments overlooking to Houses of Parliament and London Eye .

We are looking forward welcoming you back in the near future.

Dallas, TX
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We visited London for four nights two weeks ago the last week in August 2012. We selected the Plaza on the River for the view of the River Thames and Big Ben. They offer one and two bedroom suites and studio rooms with large balconies facing such a fabulous view. Our balcony and a nice ratten round dinning table with ratten cushion chairs, we had breakfast every morning looking over the River Thames and Big Ben.
We made the reservations seven months ahead of time to insure the one bedroom suite with this exact view the very best in London. The management is perfect and went above and beyond in making our visit everything we hoped for celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary and the start of a 16 day European holiday to England as well as Germany.

The management team of Gabriella Kolber and Christian Krajewski are the very best we can ever remember having the pleasure of dealing with in all our travel years. This team of management woks very hard in and giving you the best.

My husband and I try and stay in hotels we feel care about their guest, such as The Four Season Hotels, St. Regis Hotels, The Savoy Hotel, Hilton Hawaiin Village , Honolulu, Hawaii just to name afew.

If you are planning a trip to London, England do not pass up the Plaza on th River on the Albert Embankment. Besure to ask for a RIVER VIEW or you will miss out. Suite #956 one bedroom river view with a great balcony put the view of London at our feet. It is to die for as they say. We booked the Hotel our self and ask for the River view suite looking towards Big Ben. This was our first trip to London and recommend this over the hundreds of other rated hotels in London. Very close to almost everything in London we used cabs and buses alot. The walk is easy to Parliment, Big Ben, the London Eye, the Hop on Hop Off Bus and the under ground tube stations. The rates very in line for what this hotel delivers.

Room Tip: River view room on the higher floors
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear PamelaTexas_TX ,

Congratulations on your Silver Wedding Anniversary. I hope you had a wonderful journey across Europe.

It gives me pride and pleasure to share your lovely comments with my colleagues. My team and I strive to deliver a truly memorable stay with exemplary customer service. Your words have served as an encouragement and testament to keep on providing such high standard of service.

We hope we can welcome you back soon at Plaza on the River when we can thank you in person for your wonderful comment on Tripadvisor.

Please do not hesitate to contact Christian or myself should you return to stay with us again to reserve another fabulous room with a River view or Balcony.

Warm regards,

Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I found this hotel on trip advisor as i wanted to make my girlfriends birthday special,from the moment we got to the hotel it was fantastic.We were in the 5 star apartment over looking the thames with a balcony,and what a view!!
It was a nice touch as we had 2 seperate lifts for our apartments and from there on it just got better,From getting in the room to leaving,it was absolute quality,kitchen if needed(it wasnt lol),tv,dvd player,internet,ipod docking station,you name it,it was there..The bathroom was first class,walk in shower,bath,everything was brilliant.Now the bedroom,plenty of room,lots of space for clothes,bags etc..Tv and dvd player and a queensize bed,heaven lol.When i told the receptionist i was going to propose that night,there was rose petals on the bed,and a chilled bucket of ice for the champagne in the room.I cannot praise this hotel and staff enough,very friendly and efficient,highly recommended and will definately be looking to book for another treat.

Room Tip: Pay a little more,and get well rewarded.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Gabriella_Kolber, Front Office Manager at Plaza on the River - Club and Residence, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear leigh1680,

Congratulations on your engagement.

Our team is really enjoy delivering inspirational service and I will be sharing with them that you enjoyed the champagne and liked the rose petals.

I hope you will consider staying with us in your long happy live together.

Carmarthen
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I have struggled to find enough superlatives to do this magnificent hotel and wonderfully friendly and helpful staff justice! From the moment we arrived we were given the VIP treatment. The taxi door was opened for us, cases dealt with, we were directed to the reception desk (a much nicer experience than most hotels as we could sit in comfortable chairs) and we were immediately offered champagne to toast our honeymoon, which was a lovely touch! Then Barbara told us we'd been upgraded from a one bedroom river view suite to a two bedroom one with the best view! I had organised this hotel as a surprise for my husband and he was bowled over!
When we walked through the door into the suite, we were both stunned by how gorgeous it was! There was a fully stocked kitchen with washing machine, dishwasher, coffee machine etc, a lovely dining table, sofa and armchair, coffee table, desk and chair, TV and DVD in both bedrooms and living room area, phones everywhere including bathrooms (with large bath and walk-in shower big enough for 2!) and best of all the most outstanding view imaginable of the Thames, Westminster, Big Ben etc. from our balcony, with a table and four chairs! You could see for miles in both directions! At night it was even more magical! All our honeymoon hotels in France, Italy and Switzerland were 4-5 star excellent hotels but this was the icing on the cake! As if all that wasn't enough, there were balloons and a honeymoon card on the table near the door and there were red rose petals scattered on our bed! Such a lovely thought, thank you!
We arrived at around 8pm and originally booked into the restaurant for 9.30 to give us time to freshen up but I rang down to ask if there was any way we could have the meal brought up to us. Usually the menu is limited for room service but we were offered the full selection and a menu was brought to us 5 minutes later with some delicious savoury and sweet snacks, beautifully presented! Our meal arrived 30 minutes later as we'd ordered something which took 25 minutes to cook. It was, again, beautifully prepared and tasted absolutely divine! Definitely worthy of Chino Latino's excellent reputation.
After the meal, we sat and drank coffee on the balcony and it was blissful! We heard Big Ben chime midnight and it was the most romantic end to a beautiful night. We decided we had to have breakfast on the balcony the following morning so we ordered cereal for my husband, fruit for me, Eggs Benedict and toast for both of us, fruit juice and coffee. When the breakfast arrived, all the hot food was kept perfectly hot in the trolley so we could enjoy the cereal and fruit first. (We'd actually been given two of everything so we both had cereal and fruit!) When we eventually got around to the Eggs Benedict, I was stunned to find the yolks were still perfectly runny! It was the best breakfast we'd ever had in a hotel! There were even delicious croissants and rolls in a basket which we hadn't even asked for! We simply couldn't eat everything! Even my husband had to give up!!
I just want to say a huge thank you again to everyone involved in making our stay absolutely out of this world! We couldn't fault a thing - it actually exceeded my expectations! We both can't wait to return!!

Dear TheMountys,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our staff. We strive ourselves on our excellent customer service.
I will take great pleasure in sharing your compliments with all of them.

We would be delighted to welcome you back on your first anniversary if not earlier.
I will personally ensure you will receive the same customer service.

Please feel free to contact us to arrange the reservation for you and your husband.

I am looking forward welcoming you back and meet your personally.