“feels almost like home”
Review of Pickwick Hall

Pickwick Hall
Ranked #608 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 19, 2014

It was our first staying at this hostel, and i am 100% sure, that when I will come back to London, I will be staying here again. we arrived like 1 am in the morning and altouhg they do not have a reception, that is open all night, there was a super nice girl waiting for us. also the owner, Patrick is super nice. the rooms are big enough, the toilets and the showers are clean. they also have a kitchen and a dining room, and also some kind of living room. we felt like we were at home. the breakfast is simple but good. i must emphisise also that the hostel is situatet in excelent location. the british musem is like 5 min walking away. and covent garden, soho and piccadilly are like 15 min away. there is also a bus station and metro.
the price for the room is very low for this part of London.
I can only reccomend!
I

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tina A

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Second time in Pickwick Hall, and I like it even more. This place certainly got atmosphere.

Me, a woman 45+, was staying in the four bed female dorm. Sure, the place is a bit run-down, but it is clean! You will meet nice people of all ages to talk to. Most guests are calm, this is no party-place. If you are looking for that - search elsewhere. But if you are looking for a cheap, secure, quiet place 3 mins from the British Museum and 5 mins from the tube - this is it. They have doubles too.

- Simple breakfast is included (unlimited toast, jam, butter, cereal, milk, tea, coffee). I bring my own ham, cheese and tomatoes. If you are taking your breakfast after 9 AM you can use the cooking facilities in the breakfast room.
- Microwave and fridge in the dorm.
- Kitchen for the guests to use (shops within 5 mins)
- Free wifi in the place! Works very well.
- Personal safe to rent (£1,5/day or £7/week).
- Great common room where you can use the PC and printer.
- Wonderful staff and management!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Anneli S
Reviewed March 9, 2014

It's the second time I go to London and the second time I stay at the Pickwick Hall. It's a lovely hostel in an EXCELLENT location, right next to several restaurants, supermarket, pubs, the British Museum, bus and tube stations, but still in a quiet and lovely street.

The owner, Patrick, is an amazing person. Very polite and helpful. The room we got (a 4-bed ensuite) was quite large, big bathroom, several places to store our stuff. Didn't feel like a hostel, more like a B&B. The shower was hot, the heater worked properly.
I was skeptical at first when I was told that my room was on the lower floor, but I had a good surprise with a room facing to a back garden, with large windows.

The location is just perfect. You can get anywhere to London quickly by bus, tube or even walking. I doubt I can find in London a place like that for an affordable price. I would definitely return to Pickwick Hall.

Room Tip: I don't think they have a bad room, They're clearly not "new hotel standard", but...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Guaip
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Spent two nights in Pickwick Hall in Bloomsbury in february 2014. The hostel is situated in a quiet street of small hotels with a park at each end. There are 3 different tube stations within a short walking distance and the National Museum is right next door. We had a room downstairs and while it was pretty small it was scrupulously clean and well stocked with microwave, fridge, extra radiator etc. Breakfast (cereals, toast, tea, coffee) was included - surprising in view of the very moderate rate on the room. The staff were extremely kind and helpful and I would definitely recommend Pickwick Hall to anyone traveling on a budget.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank valby
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Pickwick Hall was a lovely place to stay! Patrick was an extremely helpful host and was able to give us advice on where to go and how to get there. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, and continental breakfast is included in the already cheap price. A huge bonus is the location as it is near main attractions and the underground. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank katie_renny
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night with my boyfriend a few months ago but never thought to leave a review.

We were really happy with this place. Amazing location, around the corner from British Museum!

Great value and friendly staff! Clean too.

• Stayed: February 2013
9  Thank PusheenIsTheBest
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Husband and I stayed here during a rather brutal heat wave in London which made our stay quite hot! I think we probably could have asked for a fan but we just suffered through it silently like the rest of London. A good, cost-efficient place to stay, especially considering the location. We toughed it out and avoided paying a fortune for transit by walking everywhere, so the central location was helpful. Shared bathrooms were a little sketchy but usable -- wish there was some sort of fan in the bathroom as the air/humidity was horribly heavy, especially in that heat! Kitchen was a little bit icky -- though I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to kitchen cleanliness… old grease on the stove hood, etc, used matches everywhere, cupboard of pans a bit of a mess, but all still usable if you're careful. Helpful and kind staff. Breakfast was nicer than at other hostels I've been to -- okay selection of breads, jam, marmalade; four types of cereal, lots of milk and butter, access to tea, coffee, and hot chocolate; they're also kind enough to lend you their herbs/spices/cooking seasoning. Dining area can get really busy and full in the morning though, and the excessively loud conversation between people across the room from each other ruins the calm and peaceful atmosphere of breakfasting… but I shan't get too picky. It wasn't as bad as the people sitting at my table who all chewed with their mouths open… but that's not Pickwick's fault! :) I'd stay here again, though maybe in an en suite bedroom.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple