“perfect for what we wanted”
Review of The W14 Kensington

The W14 Kensington
Ranked #17 of 930 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed June 14, 2010

stayed here in december 07 with my boyfriend and loved it for our city break so decided to stay here again when i booked a trip to london with friends. hostel/hotel is exactly what we wanted, somewhere clean and nice to sleep as we intended to be out of the room most of the day and night anyway. we got a four bed dorm ensuite which was adequate, could have done with a couple more mirrors for girls getting ready but beds were cosy and clean and water was hot in the bathroom for us to shower, wash hair etc. bedding is provided and room was tidied when we went out, beds were made and bins emptied like in a hotel. had a bottle of vino in the garden when we arrived which was nice, missed breakfast the first day but had it the second day, breakfast room was crowded though but you can take it up to the bar if necessary. train station is around the corner and barons court is on the main piccadilly line. neighbourhood is tranquil and you feel safe walking around. we walked to kensington high street and went to the roof gardens and did a bit of shopping. all in all it's a good base for exploring, it's reasonably priced, handy for transport, nice location and clean with good facilities. I would deffo stay again and my friends were impressed and said they would return with their partners for a city break. if you a looking for luxury it's not here but for a decent place to rest after a hard day sightseeing in london it's perfect.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,605)

Reviewed May 30, 2010

Even though it's located in zone two, it is easily accessible to everything you would want to see in London. I found it faster to get to most of those places from this hostel than another hostel I stayed at closer to the center. Very trendy and welcoming of young and old travelers. I loved the neighborhood and felt extremely safe as a solo female traveler. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank honeydoo08
Reviewed May 7, 2010

I was in the UK for the first time, for work (couple hours from London), and wanted to spend the weekend in London. Since I was on my own financially (and physically) for that part of the trip, and the exchange rate to USD being what it is, this option seemed intriguing. I wasn't disappointed -- the hotel is in a great location, near a few different tube stops, and West Kensington is a charming neighborhood. The rooms are clean, and are a little tight but not terrible. Breakfast was included -- very minimal & basic, but for free and the convenience, I won't complain.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2009

Its a nice hostel, but the smoking that goes on is a problem.

Everyone, including staff, smoke right by the garden door, thus the smoke drifts into the hostel and bedrooms, and its unbearable.

Sometimes I could smell smoke from the rooms and lounge, so dont know if people are smoking inside too.

That was bothersome, but other than that, it was a great hostel

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2009

really enjoyed the ace hotel, good location close to west kensington tube (less than 5 minute walk, on a main line), quiet as away from main roads, however not much in west kensington (which was fine for us because we were in the city every night!)

free breakfast from 0730 to 0900 which was basic but filling (cereal and toast), can eat as much as you like. great lounge downstairs to watch tv and meet ppl, bar with cheap drinks and snacks, cheap internet and free wireless if you have your own computer. vending machines for late night snacks, laundry with dryers, backyard with bbq and hot tub and 24 hours reception (all you could need!)

rooms were small but comfy, bunk beds squeeked but were comfortable however small flat pillows, safe in room, heater and opening windows. rooms and bathrooms were clean, only bad thing was water temperature was only luke warm in the mornings when everyone was using them! over all a great stay and i would definately go back!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Close proximity to the tube, and Tesco which is an English chain of grocery stores. Clean rooms and bedding, helpful staff, there is a BBQ to use for cooking your own food in a nice garden, theres a hot tub you can use for 2 pounds a day, well worth it. Theres a bar for some drinks if your inclined. It was quiet, a good place to bring your family or to come as a couple. All and all it was a great spot to stay and very affordable.

Keep in mind this is a hostel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed at the Ace Hotel in Kensington for 6 nights between July 29, 2009 to August 5, 2009. For the price, it is a great place to stay. I felt safe, comfortable, and met people from all over the world. I found most the staff to be very pleasant and helpful...ESPECIALLY BENNY!! I met a lot of people just sitting outside in the garden or @ the bar. I would recommend buying an adaptor if needed from the hotel (5 GBP) because I brought my own and it blew out right away. All my roommates seemed to go to sleep early, I was the late one. Everyone was respectful though and tries their best to be quiet in the morning and night. The first 4 nights I was in a 4 bed female only dorm and the last 2 nights I was in a 6 bed mixed dorm.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo