“Not as bad as the reviews on Tripadvisor!”

Golders Green Hotel
Ranked #921 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Not as bad as the reviews on Tripadvisor!”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I booked this hotel on booking.com then didn't look on tripadvisor until a few hours before my stay, I was horrified.
Saying this, when we did arrive at the hotel, although the exterior wasn't particularly inviting, when we actually got into the room it was clean and fresh, we stayed in room 222 and it was fine. I didn't see any signs of anything mentioned on the terrible reviews on here.
The only problem we did have was that the receptionist wasn't particularly polite, he rang me twice before we arrived asking if I knew I had a booking for that night? He seemed very annoyed that we arrived late, I didn't think this was going to be a problem since the reception was clearly stated as being 24 hours.

Room Tip: 222 was lovely and clean
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank HFB93

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I booked this hotel via hotels.com including giving my credit card as guarantee for a one night stay on arrival. I printed out the confirmation of my booking to make sure. On arrival, the receptionist told me because I had not telephoned to confirm my booking there were no rooms. I argued that the confirmed booking from hotels.com meant I didn't have to telephone in advance (something from 10 years ago in the internet age) and he was adamant that any hotel booking in the world, anywhere wouldn't be valid unless you confirmed by telephone.

After this he suddenly "found" a room available, but - surprise, surprise - it was 10 pounds more expensive. It was now 8pm and raining so I had no choice and paid.

The room was a twin room, with a tiny (and I mean tiny) TV in the corner. There was no remote control so I went back downstairs to ask for one to be told that there was a ten pound deposit for a remote. I therefore had to outlay this as well.

In the room, there was some tea bags thrown on a plate but no milk. The shower had no hot water that evening and no hot water the next day, by which time I was too resigned to the state of this dump to do any further complaining.

Breakfast was only from 7.30am, no earlier, and was spartan with a few cereals, some cold fried eggs and soggy toast.

I had been using hotels for 30 years and this was by a country mile the worst I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: go to another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank mawet

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I decided to book this hotel because it shows really lovely pictures on the website, which shows a lovely and clean room. In reality it's the exact opposite. The single room I had for the first night was so small that I could barely fit my luggage there, the bed was really old and uncomfortable and, the worst thing, the room was very dirty with rubbish on the floor and long, thick and black hair on the sheets. It was also very noisy. The second night I asked to get a different room and I got a free upgrade to a double, which was not that noisy, a bit bigger but still disgusting: there was dirt and rubbish on the floor, black hair and BLOOD on the sheets and no internet signal! The staff was very rude, excluding Michal, the Slovak receptionist, who was really kind and helpful. The breakfast looked so disgusting and "unfresh" that I didn't have the courage to try it... What can I say? The only time I've see a more disgusting hotel than this was in India. I am very flexible and accomodating but this was too much.

Room Tip: If you can, always ask to see a room before you pay for it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jitkajnr
Birmingham
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I looked at tripadvisor just after booking the hotel for a two night visit and had to confess my heart sank and I was extremely apprehensive when we turned up to the hotel but I was pleasantly surprised. Although the room could do with some refurbishment and was slightly cramped it did the job and was clean which is all I look for in a hotel when I know we would spend most of the time outside of the hotel. At end of day we would be hard pushed to find a hotel at the same price with parking and in a great location, tube literally 5 minutes up the road taking about 15 minutes into town. I'd say that you do get what you pay for. Hotel rooms slightly noisy but have stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels where there has been an issue with noisy guests so cannot complain!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Cherina
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have just Returned from a 1 night stay in the Golders Green Dungeon!
Even though we had booked and paid over the phone she said they had no record of this until I pointed out I could show the transaction on my phone with online banking. When we opened the door the smell was over whelming. The tea & coffee facilities Consisted of two teabags and some sugar sachets left on a plate with two egg cups to drink from.
There was blood and what looked like excrement smeared on the walls & wardrobe doors. The bases of the beds where absolutely filthy and not covered and our 11 year old son had to sleep in a bed containing somebody else's hairs. We didn't even come back to the room to change before going out for the evening as we couldn't bear to be in the room.
The only window was a bathroom type which you couldn't see out of and the lock on the door didn't work properly. There were no bedside tables to put a clock or phone on and the bedside lights didn't work.
We had to brave breakfast for the children but figured we would be safe with coffee and toast, this was ok but if you looked up at the ceiling it was in danger of collapse.
What can I say, we paid too much attention to the glossy website and forgot to check trip advisor, a mistake we will not make again.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Tezzerc
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I cannot think of anything to entice me to stay here again.
The corridors are poky and smelly, the state of the bedroom was poor and in bad need of help, a deep clean would not go amiss, in fact, any clean would be an improvement.
It is dreadful, and in my view would not even pass for basic student accommodation.
However, in the interest of balance, the person behind the desk was polite and tried hard, the towels were clean, parking is free, and the bedroom window opened.
My recommendation, unless your desperate, stay away

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank steve b
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We booked our room over the phone the week before, but when we arrived they said they had no record of us and claimed they had to charge us an extra £10 (so a total of £69) as we just 'turned up' They guy was very rude and just talked over us when we tried to explain we had actually booked a room, he then proceeded to say we could have someone elses room as they hadnt bothered to turn up yet (it was only 2pm). When we eventually got to the room it stank of stale smoke and was dirty, the bedside light didnt work and the pillows and bed linen reeked of smoke aswell. The locks on the door were pathetic so we pushed the chairs infront of the door to feel safer. We didnt have the courage to brave breakfast, though the smell alone made me gag. I would never stay here again, I have no idea how its still going as the staff were rude, the walls were ridiculously thin, the rooms filthy and we didnt feel safe!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends