“an Aladdin’s cave of unusual and spectacular frames”
Review of General Eyewear

General Eyewear
Ranked #72 of 732 Shopping in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: General Eyewear is a London based eyewear boutique and opticians with its own workshop and design study. It offers a curated selection of unusual and beautiul optical frames and sunglasses from seventeen-ninety to nineteen-ninetyfive as well as a full range of optician services. General Eyewear has its own brands of frames and sunglasses and designs and produces bespoke handmade frames.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Wheelchair access
London, United Kingdom
“an Aladdin’s cave of unusual and spectacular frames”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I first heard about General Eyewear when quizzing a friend on his fascinating 1920's Parisian frames, and was not disappointed when I eventually paid them a visit myself.

This is no ordinary shop - It is an Aladdin’s cave of unusual and spectacular frames of various styles and periods from all around the world. Many of these frames have an extraordinary history, and the manager was extremely obliging in taking me around the showroom to reveal the stories behind individual frames. From start to finish the service was fantastic, with staff spending lots of time in making sure that I found frames to suit me, in the style that I was looking for.

The entire experience was hugely enjoyable, and I will be recommending this shop to anyone who requires glasses of any kind. On top of this, the space itself is beautiful (located in a Victorian railway arch), but be warned, with all of the interest around, you will spend much more time in there than anticipated!

Visited April 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“So lucky to stumble on the place”
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Great frames. Good prices. Worth a visit. They were very patient as I tried on a ton of frames and explored some of the rarer and unusual frames in their collection. It will be a regular stop on my Lindon visits.

London, United Kingdom
“One of the most extensive selections of vintage eyeware in the world!”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

General Eyewear has one of the most extensive selection of vintage eye ware in the world. I collect glasses and have been a customer for over 8 years, the selection the service and the price of a complete set of glasses is unbeatable.

What ever era or style your after I believe you will find them there and if you don't they make frames from either your existing pair of glasses or a style your after.

I highly recommend any one who is either after a pair of sunglasses or prescription lenses to check it out as you will be hard to find a better shop anywhere .

Visited February 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

General Eyewear wasn't my first choice, but after a referral from a friend who has used them on a couple of occasions I'll be using them again. I had an old frame that I love broken underfoot which they repaired overnight, to be honest making them a more sturdy frame that was always a little loose. I found a great pair of frames for some new Varifocals too. Great range of frames, from the sublime to the classic practical. Recommended.

Visited March 2014
“Super Vintage sunglasses”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

On a recent visit to general eyewear to get some sunglasses for both my husband and myself, we found the perfect pairs for both of us.The location can be a bit tricky to find but if you ask anyone in the market they will point you in the right direction. The selection of vintage frames is amazing, a little overwhelming but the staff are super helpful and point you in the right direction. A really great shop!!!

Visited March 2014