“Average”

Cavendish Hotel- Bloomsbury
Ranked #986 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Excellent location. Near the best of the best in London. Easy public transport everywhere.
Nevertheles.....very,very,very small rooms. The baths are new and clean. There is no lifts.
The brakefast is not good. Small place to have it so you have to wait.
Fortunately the staff are kind

Room Tip: rooms in front are noisy
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Espunoza

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Terrible hotel in Bloomsbury - stairs down through the breakfastroom and then stairs up again, to get to the room!
The room was very small - toilet app. 1m2.
First morning, when we had breakfast, rats was running down the stairs just outside the window. The staff in the breakfast was not very friendly - not english people. We didn't had breakfast the last 2 morning, though it was included in the room price!!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Larse530
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We have just stayed at the Cavendish Hotel, thinking it was the same one we stayed in a couple of years ago! To our horror, when we went to reception, we realised our mistake, but there was little we could do about it. I had indicated on our booking form (we booked several weeks ago) that we would like the room on the ground floor, but to my dismay, we were given one of the three rooms on the top floor. I asked if there was another room and was told that we could change the next day. This was not a real option for us. The man at reception offered to carry my case half way up the stairs as he could see I was struggling with the stairs. Our room (305) was tiny and tired. There was a small double bed, a small wardrobe with six coat hangers, a small desk and stool. The desk was covered with a tray with a kettle, tow cups and saucers, milk, tea and coffee, two packets of biscuits and one small bottle of still water and not even plastic glasses to drink from. There was also a telephone on this desk and no room for one's own things. There were only two small drawers in the desk and a tiny drawer in each bedside table. As another guest has pointed out, the bathroom was tiny with a shower cubicle so small, that it was difficult for either my husband or I to have a decent shower. My husband kept hitting his elbows against the door and wall. As for the basin, don't ask!! We were so disappointed with the breakfast. There was plenty cereal, cheap, nasty jams ,marmalade and tinned grapefruit and prunes and really cheap processed fruit(? juice) and yoghurts. I couldn't eat any of this. As for the cooked breakfast - I wouldn't feed it to an animal. We will NEVER stay here again or recommend it to any friends or family.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Katebw
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Stayed in room 106, which faces the main road which is very busy and noisy. The window did not shut so it was draughty and noisy. There was a delivery truck that parked outside my window and proceeded to deliver bed linen to all hotel on the street via 'biffa' bins on all wheels so that's all I heard for over an hour at 1130pm. When I came to leave the door lock was stuck so I was stuck in the room, not what I needed at 0630am and after such little sleep due to the noise. not a great place to stay if you want sleep.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Karen B
Reviewed June 3, 2014

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL! It is the worst place I have ever stayed at in all my years of travel. Our room was tiny! The double bed was lumpy and was pushed up against the wall so that my husband had to climb over me to get into his side of the bed. There was a tiny wardrobe for hanging clothes that was not deep enough to close when you had anything on a hanger inside it. The desk area was minuscule with a tiny bench to sit on...not even a proper chair. We each had two large suitcases which we could not open at the same time because there was not enough room. The bathroom was ridiculous! The shower was tiny and the doors did not shut completely so you sprayed water everywhere when trying to shower. The shower head was broken and flew off across the room the first time we turned on the water so it was like showering under a garden hose. The sink was so small that if you turned the water on too much it spurted across right out of sink and onto the floor. The towels were threadbare .... next to useless. There were not even plastic glasses in the room...only small coffee mugs. There was a coffee machine but the carafe was so large and the sink was so small you couldn't get it under the tap to fill it to make coffee. The front desk staff barely speak English so be prepared to struggle to communicate with these idiots. They were absolutely no help whatsoever in giving directions... they knew nothing about London...not even how to get to the closest Underground Station. The front lobby area has seen better days. They don't have a secure area or room for leaving your luggage if you arrive into town before check-in time. After two horrid nights we packed up and moved to the Tavistock Hotel a few blocks away.... a real hotel for the same price with helpful staff, bigger rooms and an excellent buffet breakfast! A HUGE improvement. Take my advice.... avoid the Hotel Cavendish!! It is a DUMP!!!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor...... stay somewhere else!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SEH116
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We paid £105 for a double room with cooked breakfast and have to say it was ok. Room was a fair size, was clean and bed was comfy. We had a room on the back so weren't bothered by road noise.
The breakfast was good, waitress service was efficient.
Overall a decent place to stay and well positioned for Soho.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

I have just arrived at the worst hotel I have stayed at in the past 5 years! Unfortunately it was booked for me by a work colleague and I didn't have the opportunity to check it out on trip adviser first. I have the delights of a single room where the eidth of the room is the length of the bed, it takes 4 steps to get from the door to the bed and if you dit on the toilet your feet are in the shower!!! On the plus side I have tea, coffee, bottled water and biscuits an I may be impressed with breakfast, I can't wait!! The reception area could really do with redecoration as could the outside of the halls and the hallways. I can't say I am looking forward to tonights stay as the traffic noise is substantial. I would cheer myself up by turning the tv on but cannot find the remote!! However free wifi mrans I can watch tv on my laptop, always look for the positives.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business