“Ok but far from luxury!”

Cavendish Hotel- Bloomsbury
Ranked #950 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Thetford, United Kingdom
“Ok but far from luxury!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel for two nights. The rooms are an ok size but are quite shabby and in need of a redecorate. The skirting boards, walls and ceilings are all covered in scuffs and marks. However the bed linen and bathrooms are spotless. The full English breakfasts are very small although you could always ask for more. My room was at the bottom of the stairs near the breakfast room. One morning I was woken by someone falling from the top to the bottom of the stairs as at the top there is a door of which there is no sign saying that there are steps right on the other side so PLEASE be aware of this if you stay here. The stairs are quite narrow too. The staff were all friendly. This hotel has a good location and is not too bad for the price. It's not a too bad place to stay if you are spending most of your time exploring London.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Michigan
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Yes, the rooms are small but the price is excellent for such a wonderful location. As a single woman traveling alone, I loved it! I stayed in one of the cabin rooms where the bed actually had a window seat next to it. While is was a little drafty and cold to actually sit in the window (I'm only 5'3"), I simply stacked my reading materials and purchases there to keep them out of the way since there is only one small closet.

The bathroom was small but not any smaller than some I've encountered. The shower was hot and there was a big built in counter with mirror to hold my make-up and other toiletries.

The (free) breakfast was excellent with offerings of cereals, yogurt, fruit, toast, and tea and French press coffee. I'm a big coffee drinker and to be served that pot all for me almost brought tears to my eyes. :) The servers were very attentive.

It was very cold in London during my stay (and I'm from Michigan!) but upon my arrival and every day after, a thermos of hot water, tea and shortbread cookies were in my room, which hit the spot after my early morning outings. Gotta love that tea.

The friendly staff was outstanding in offering assistance with whatever I needed.

I'm returning in the spring and will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: My room was up one flight, the only room on the landing, and it was extremely quiet. I didn't h...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Summitsue
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The only reason I picked the Hotel Cavendish (not to be confused with the far superior Cavendish Hotel) was the location - just 100 yards from University College, London, where I was attending a seminar on Ethics. The price, £75, was average for the area so I booked. Even so, given the size and state of the room htis was a rip-off any decent sea=side landlady would be ashamed at.
The room I got was in the basement, down a narrow staircase and close to the breakfast room.
Laughingly described as a double, the 4ft wide bed took up almost half the space in the room. Apart from the passage from the door past the en-suite bathroom, the main part of the room measured 7ft by 8ft. Prisoners in solitary get bigger cells than this.
Plasterwork was patched, paintwork and furnishings scratched and well past their best.

Breakfast was adequate and the only redeeming feature were the cheery waitresses.
Never again, I would rather spend the extra to get a 6am train down from Yorkshire than try to save money travelling down beforehand and staying at a place like this.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John W

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Llangollen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed at The Cavendish Hotel in February for 3 nights with my husband as we were celebrating my 60th birthday. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. Although the staff were friendly enough, the hotel is extremely shabby and our room was very small. The bathroom was tiny with no shelves or hooks to put anything, and there was no storage space in the room other than the wardrobe with a shelf in it. Also, the room was unbelievably hot (it was minus 5 outside) even with the radiator turned off. We found out later it was because we were right on top of Goodge St subway. We were on the ground floor, but to get there we had to go upstairs (very narrow) through the breakfast room, then downstairs again (also narrow stairs). The only good things about our room were the curtains!, they looked as if they belonged in a 5-star hotel, not the Cavendish; and the fact the room was very quiet. The breakfasts were average. Location was good - 10 mins from Euston, 5 mins from Goodge St. British Museum was just 10 mins walk too. Lots of good restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: My advice is don't think you will get a room looking like the one on their website. This is a v...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dylaffyn
Phoenix
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I can't say enough good things about the staff. They were pleasant and helpful. However there are a number of things beyond their control. There is no lift and our room was on the third floor. Narrow halls and five doors between the lobby and the room made it difficult to move our luggage. The bathroom in our room smelled lke a sewer. The water constantly dripped from the shower splashing out onto the bathroom floor. There was a flat screen television screen mounted to the wall but the mount didn't move so you couldn't face it toward the bed. You literally watched the telly from the side. Both lamps next to the bed needed light bulbs. The breakfast was typical English and was quite good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeff M
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Don't stay here! We went to London for 2 nights and had to check out of this hotel after the first night due to there being no water in our en suite. The staff were beyond rude and just didn't care. Guy on reception put his hand in my face and said he was on his own and too busy to deal with us having no water! Absolutely disgusting service. He just couldn't have cared less. He laughed and said none of the other guests cared about having no water and were going to shower elsewhere! Also, rooms are extremely tiny, cold and noisy. Do yourself a favour and avoid this place!!! There are plenty of other hotels in London.

• Stayed March 2013

Breakfast included
quirky/interesting building

Bad points:

traffic noise
woken up early to smell of cooking
bathroom not very private