“Fantastic Modern City Hotel”

Apex City of London Hotel
Ranked #84 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 9, 2010

I booked three twin rooms here for a group of 6 ladies. On arrival, I was seriously worried that I had somehow got the room rate wrong, as the hotel looked so good. I had visions of having to contribute towards everyones bill, so checked with the receptionist. The room rate was correct, thank goodness!! Our rooms were brilliant, a good size, extremely clean, stylishly designed and with a sofabed and flat screen TV. It had all the frills necessary, like Tea and Coffee making facilities, a safe, iron and ironing board, hairdryer and a huge bank of plug sockets for the GHD's, mobile chargers etc. The bathrooms were very chic with a large walk in power shower and separate bath, with good quality toiletries and fluffy white towels. We all loved the hotel and would happily return. I can't recommend it enough if you are looking for clean, trendy surroundings, friendly staff and a great location, right opposite the Tower, a minute from Tower Hill tube station and close to the bars and shops across the river on the South Bank and nearby St. Katherines Dock.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank trentmum63
Write a ReviewReviews (4,176)

Reviewed March 7, 2010

Out of all the times I've been to London, this has been one of the best I've stayed in, I booked through Last Minute Top Secret Hotels and I'm glad that I did as I found this to be a money saver. However if I hadn't booked through Last Minute and with the full price cost I would say that the price is a bit too steep for what it was.
The location was brilliant, myself and my boyfriend checked in a bit early and we were given the only room available which was a smokers room. At first I was sceptical but she offered to show us what it was like, I didn't mind it, it didn't smell of smoke so we accepted it.
However I thought the beds were a bit of a pain seeing as they were two singles put together with flat pillows and office lights that were constantly on throughout the night.
But overall I'd stay here again and recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rusty_Panda
Reviewed March 4, 2010

Found this hotel on Tripadvisor after looking for somewhere special to take the wife for Valentines weekend. As I work close by I went to check out the rooms before booking and I found some very helpful staff and a manager who was only to pleased to show me a selection of the rooms.
When we checked in there was a welcome card from the manager who had shown me around and some chocolates. Could not fault the room, and there was a good sized bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and there were tea making facilities. The shower could have been hotter.
That evening we had a drink in the hotel bar, which was quite expensive so we then headed out. There are plenty of pubs and bars very close by. I would recommend the All Bar One as it has fantastic views of the Tower of London. Again there are plenty of places to eat close by and we opted for Bodeans which is a ribs place. The restaurant is downstairs and is a real hidden gem.
Next morning we had the continental breakfast, which was included in the price. Good selection of breads, meat and cheeses. The second morning we asked to pay £5 each to upgrade to the cooked breakfast. This was very good, although I felt this option should have been included in the price. Do they really need the extra £5 that much?.
Room was very quite, and the side street location means there is no road noise, yet it is a couple of minutes to walk to Tower Hill tube.
This hotel ticks all the boxes and next time I am looking to stay in London I will definitely be choosing this hotel.

2  Thank Benfee
Reviewed March 1, 2010

Stayed here for the England Vs Ireland Rugby match, in nice quite location just 5 mins walk from the Tower of London and 3 min walk from Tower Hill Tube station. Hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming and the rooms were superb apart from a few things.. Shower head could have been bigger in the beautiful bathroom & the room was very bright in the morning, blinds not doing their job. Overall though, very happy with the hotel, nice breakfast but very over priced.

1  Thank JMH27
Reviewed March 1, 2010

We found and booked the Apex through LateRooms.com (£98.10 per night, room only) after reading the reviews here, and am glad the TripAdvisor community didn't fail us with this gem.

Only a 3 minute walk from Tower Hill on the Tube, nestled down a quiet side street, we were in our room within only a few minutes from walking through the front doors.

The room was absolutely fine for what we required - just a weekend break in the city - with a huge TV (Channel choice was a little bit limited), complimentary mineral waters, free wifi (don't forget to ask the front desk for wifi details), huge bed and well stocked complimentary tea tray and toiletries. The only gripe we had was it was a little too cold - although the rooms have a electronic thermostat, we were told by someone on reception that all rooms were infact controlled remotely from there (i'm not sure how true this is, as we never did get to the bottom of it), but make sure you ask if your room is cold.

The Bar was reasonably priced, with bottles of beer around £3.75 and glasses of wine from £4.50 - not bad considering you are in the heart of London, you are table served and you get complimentary snacks with each round! We didn't eat at the Hotel, but the restaurant looked fresh and modern, and there was always quite a jovial atmosphere.

Location wise, as mentioned, it is only minutes from Tower Hill tube on the Central and District lines - about twenty minutes to Trafalgar Square/Covent Garden/Leicester Square, and if you do miss the last tubes in the evening, a Cab fare from the west-end/chelsea is about £20.

All in all, an absolute gem of a find, but do look for late rates on booking sites, as we saved an absolute fortune on the hotels own advertised rates.

2  Thank Tobyt777
Reviewed February 24, 2010

Stayed in the Apex CoL hotel last week for the first time, easy to find from Tower Gateway DLR - was in my room within 30 mins of departing my flight at City Airport. Some nice unique touches in the rooms, from the subtle laptop-to-42" TV link-up embedded in the bedroom wall - perfect aligned with free wi-fi and Skype - to the delicious complimentary chocs and rubber duck for my baby sons bath! Helpful, courteous staff , good wine menu and a great breakfast - including the aforementioned biggest almond croissants I've ever seen, a personal favourite!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank BarryandLinz
Reviewed February 24, 2010

We just spent three nights at this hotle. the location was perfect as it was just 5 minutes walk from the Tower Hill tube station.
The room was a good size as we were travelling with our 7 year old son and there was a couch bed for him.
The rooms were clean and also the bathroom's were well stocked with nice tolietries.
We were on a breakfast inclusve rate, there was no charge for my son. As breakfast could cost up to 18 pounds per day per person this was a good deal.
The breakfast was fantatstic with a great array of buffet items and also a good selection of hot foods available to order. The staff were very obliging.

My only complaint would be that the room was very hot and we asked twice for the ac to be increased but this did not seem to be possible.

Apart from this we had a fab stay and would return to this hotel. nearby the hotel there is a witherspoons and a pret-a -manger.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family