“Make sure you get a room above ground level”

Apex City of London Hotel
Ranked #87 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I arrived late at night and was placed in 055... which I found out is below ground level. No windows, but otherwise a nice room with two tv.. and a large bathroom.
The next day I asked for another room - the hotel complied and I was moved to the 7th floor. Smaller room but with daylight.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Joakim V

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I couldn't fault this hotel, I booked 5 twin rooms on the special offer of Dinner bed and Breakfast. The food was lovely, even included a glass of wine! Very good value indeed. Very accomodating, helpful and able to make suggestions for us.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 1,230,918,736
RobertFlinter, General Manager at Apex City of London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind review.
I am delighted that you and your group found the hotel perfect for your needs and that the dinner package exceded your expectations.

I will ensure your comments are shared with the team.

Thanks again.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We had a wonderful stay in the Apex City of London Hotel from Friday 14th - 17th September on a special weekend package which included breakfast and an evening meal each day. It was our 30th wedding anniversary and the hotel gave us a complimentary upgrade to a lovely room on the sixth floor which was much appreciated. The hotel is a short walk from the the Tower hill tube station and the Tower of London is a very short distance away. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful with directions etc... The cooked breakfast was very good and cooked to order with a varied menu choice. The evening meal had a choice of two courses from a three course set menu and if you wanted the extra course you could opt to pay the extra. We found the starter and main course plenty for us. There was also a complimentary glass of house wine included with the meal and this was also lovely. There is just one small comment regarding the set menu. The quality of the food was excellent and the food itself was very good but we were staying three nights and found the set menu did not change much over the period of our stay and by the third night was becoming a little monotonous but this could be easily remedied with a little variation in the menu each night. We would not have any hesitation in returning to this hotel and hope to return in the future. Another little tip for other travellers. We stayed in the hotel over the weekend and as mentioned by other reviewers it is a little quieter in the city over the weekend but not completely "dead". The circle line was down for repairs on the Saturday and Sunday and this was a little inconvenient but we did find that the No 15 bus went from the area to theatre land and the bus also had a night service N15 which was absolutely brilliant. We would thoroughly recommend the hotel and thank the Apex staff for making our special anniversary so memorable.

Room Tip: If circle line tube not operating use Number 15 bus - also night service N15 bus to take you to thea...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
RobertFlinter, General Manager at Apex City of London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Dear gmsdoggies

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your 30th wedding anniversary and congratulations.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and your trip to London. I have taken on board your comments in relation to the set menu and while we do change this regularly, we have not done this on a single weekend in the past but we will be looking at it.

I am glad that you were able to find a nice convenient way of getting to the West End while the circle line was closed for repairs. We are also a short walk from the central line at bank station which is also just a short trip to the west end.

I hope that we can welcome you back again.

Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my mum for a weekend away and it was perfect! The location was great as so close to both the underground and DLR links, making it so easy to get to and from city airport and the centre of London.
The staff were really nice and offered to change our room to twin beds instead of double. The room itself was clean and had lots of space for us.
Would def return to this hotel if I could get a similar weekend deal as it really was ideal!

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear SK2302

Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to share your views. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us with your Mum and that the location and proximity to City Airport and the DLR link made your stay easy. Keep an eye on our webiste or facebook page for similar weekend offers in the future.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed here end of August this year and got a really good price for a twin room.
My friend and I checked in Friday night, room was clean and tidy.
Bathroom shiny and in a good state.

The furniture, wall paper and carpet is looking a bit used so could do soon with an update.
However the size of the room was good, enough space for suitcase and clothes, etc.
The tea & coffee station plus fridge is always a plus.

The breakfast was a bit confusing for me, usually I am used to a buffett where you can get everything you want. But they have a continental breakfast as buffett and you can order some things like a fry up on top. Now it depends what type of breakfast is confirmed on your reservation and if you have to pay extra or not. I had a full breakfast so did not have to pay any extra which was nice.

I guess for Business traveller it's good to have a choice. They very often don't have the time for a full English and save some money for the company.

The staff and service during breakfast was average. I odered an upside down fried egg and that was already too much. I got a fried egg without the egg yolk in the end... Well nevermind...

The staff at checkout and checkin was friendly and sufficient.

I think this is good value for money especially in London but don't expect too much.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Multitraveller

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate the comments made in relation to breakfast and I can assure you that we will be working on them.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

If you want a beautiful comfortable hotel then the Hotel Apex is for you. It is a walk away from the Tower of London. The rooms are nicely furnished and very comfortable. The service was exceptional from the concierge to the lovely staff who cleaned the rooms. Nothing was too much trouble (they were even really helpful with directions and looking up places of interest). Excellent value for money. The breakfast was amazing from a continental breakfast to a full English. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Christine

Thank you very much for your kind comments on your stay with us. I will especially ensure I share them with our concierge and Housekeeping teams. I am also happy that you found our breakfast to be amazing, we take great care in sourcing good quality ingredients and I believe that our breakfast is the best in the area.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed at the Apex weekend 15th Sep for 2 nights.It was a long weekend break for me and the wife, taking in a show and the sights.
It's a great location, just 5 mins from Tower Hill tube station, and the Tower of London itself.Which also has a drop off point for the many open top bus tours (we used the www.theoriginaltour.com-very good). Its in the business areaa, so very quiet at the weekend.
The rooms are very good-a bit dissapointed that I didn't get the upgrade (booked through Secret Escapes) and we had what appeared to be a room for disabled people (?), but he-hoh.Room itself was great, very comfy king size bed, good size bathroom,free wi-fi,PROPER hairdryer,ironing board etc etc. It got a bit warm at night, even with the A/C on but nothing we couldnt manage.Might get a bit uncomfotable in the height of summer though.
Staff are all European, from different parts, I never met on British member but no problem anyway.The reception has some great "chill-out" areas, as well as the more formal dining.I would call this a boutique hotel, they are trying to be different from the usual chains.If you have ever been to a Dakota hotel, you'll know what I mean.And I think it works.
The only downside was on Sunday morning-long queues for breakfast at 1000.I think they were a bit overwhelmed, to be honest.We waited for 15 mins,then stood in the queue for another 15 mins.When we evntually got seated, they were good eneough to upgrade our meal to a full English but it never arrived-we waited for a further 45 minutes and then gave up, and left, as we were there to see the sights.
When we cam back later that day, I asked to have a word with the DM (Fabian). He was honest in receiving our feedback and made up for it, with a free bottle of wine that evening, and a full English the next morning.So fair dues, all worked out in the end-but I dont think some of the other guests were as polite as us!!

All in all, a great hotel, in a great location, at a fair price for London and we would definetly go back.We had a problem, they fixed it, cant ask for more than that.Thumbs up.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a balcony
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cabsandy

Dear Cabsandy

Thank you for your detailed and extensive review. I appreciate the time and effort taken. I am delighted that you found the hotel to your liking but I must apologise again for the delays to Sunday morning's breakfast. I am afraid we were unusually overwhelmed. I can assure you that we now have contigency plans in place going forward.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again.