“good value for money”

Apex City of London Hotel
Ranked #86 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed here end of August this year and got a really good price for a twin room.
My friend and I checked in Friday night, room was clean and tidy.
Bathroom shiny and in a good state.

The furniture, wall paper and carpet is looking a bit used so could do soon with an update.
However the size of the room was good, enough space for suitcase and clothes, etc.
The tea & coffee station plus fridge is always a plus.

The breakfast was a bit confusing for me, usually I am used to a buffett where you can get everything you want. But they have a continental breakfast as buffett and you can order some things like a fry up on top. Now it depends what type of breakfast is confirmed on your reservation and if you have to pay extra or not. I had a full breakfast so did not have to pay any extra which was nice.

I guess for Business traveller it's good to have a choice. They very often don't have the time for a full English and save some money for the company.

The staff and service during breakfast was average. I odered an upside down fried egg and that was already too much. I got a fried egg without the egg yolk in the end... Well nevermind...

The staff at checkout and checkin was friendly and sufficient.

I think this is good value for money especially in London but don't expect too much.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
RobertFlinter, General Manager at Apex City of London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Multitraveller

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate the comments made in relation to breakfast and I can assure you that we will be working on them.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Apex City of London Hotel

Reviewed September 18, 2012

If you want a beautiful comfortable hotel then the Hotel Apex is for you. It is a walk away from the Tower of London. The rooms are nicely furnished and very comfortable. The service was exceptional from the concierge to the lovely staff who cleaned the rooms. Nothing was too much trouble (they were even really helpful with directions and looking up places of interest). Excellent value for money. The breakfast was amazing from a continental breakfast to a full English. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
RobertFlinter, General Manager at Apex City of London Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Dear Christine

Thank you very much for your kind comments on your stay with us. I will especially ensure I share them with our concierge and Housekeeping teams. I am also happy that you found our breakfast to be amazing, we take great care in sourcing good quality ingredients and I believe that our breakfast is the best in the area.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed at the Apex weekend 15th Sep for 2 nights.It was a long weekend break for me and the wife, taking in a show and the sights.
It's a great location, just 5 mins from Tower Hill tube station, and the Tower of London itself.Which also has a drop off point for the many open top bus tours (we used the www.theoriginaltour.com-very good). Its in the business areaa, so very quiet at the weekend.
The rooms are very good-a bit dissapointed that I didn't get the upgrade (booked through Secret Escapes) and we had what appeared to be a room for disabled people (?), but he-hoh.Room itself was great, very comfy king size bed, good size bathroom,free wi-fi,PROPER hairdryer,ironing board etc etc. It got a bit warm at night, even with the A/C on but nothing we couldnt manage.Might get a bit uncomfotable in the height of summer though.
Staff are all European, from different parts, I never met on British member but no problem anyway.The reception has some great "chill-out" areas, as well as the more formal dining.I would call this a boutique hotel, they are trying to be different from the usual chains.If you have ever been to a Dakota hotel, you'll know what I mean.And I think it works.
The only downside was on Sunday morning-long queues for breakfast at 1000.I think they were a bit overwhelmed, to be honest.We waited for 15 mins,then stood in the queue for another 15 mins.When we evntually got seated, they were good eneough to upgrade our meal to a full English but it never arrived-we waited for a further 45 minutes and then gave up, and left, as we were there to see the sights.
When we cam back later that day, I asked to have a word with the DM (Fabian). He was honest in receiving our feedback and made up for it, with a free bottle of wine that evening, and a full English the next morning.So fair dues, all worked out in the end-but I dont think some of the other guests were as polite as us!!

All in all, a great hotel, in a great location, at a fair price for London and we would definetly go back.We had a problem, they fixed it, cant ask for more than that.Thumbs up.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a balcony
1  Thank cabsandy

Dear Cabsandy

Thank you for your detailed and extensive review. I appreciate the time and effort taken. I am delighted that you found the hotel to your liking but I must apologise again for the delays to Sunday morning's breakfast. I am afraid we were unusually overwhelmed. I can assure you that we now have contigency plans in place going forward.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Have stayed here twice recently, once for business and once for pleasure. The hotel is ideally located for the City, the Tower of London and Tower Hill tube.

The rooms are excellent, with large walk in showers. We were upgraded for free, twice. The gym is also very good.

Highly recommended.

1  Thank alexjharper

Dear Alex

I am delighted that you enjoyed both of your recent stays with us and that you found the hotel so exceptional whether for business or pleasure. Thank you for taking the time to comment and I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We booked three rooms as an end of summer holiday treat before seeing Warhorse.(excellent)

Check in was very efficient and the rooms were all lovely , one standard, one deluxe and one suite(not worth the extra money in my opinion)

Maybe we were just unlucky, but the room service after the theatre was disappointing. We tried to order from the main menu at 10.45pm (advertised as being available until 11.15pm)only to be told the restaurant was closed.
Ok, fair enough.. so my very polite daughter ordered from the "night menu" ...very basic food , and limited choice , but we just needed a snack ...
45mins later , still nothing, whereupon I rang reception , to be told in no uncertain terms that,
"I TOLD YOU IT WOULD BE 45MINS!" Not great customer service.

Eventually we received a pizza(horrible), a microwaved lasagne (nice) and had to wait again for a forgotten ciabatta...the poor chap who delivered our food was lovely, a complete opposite to the very rude response we`d had from night reception earlier , obviously rushed off his feet and very apologetic...they had had to deal with an incident in reception ...but in my view this hotel is understaffed at night ....this was all pre-midnight.

Wouldn`t stay here again

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank doghouseblues

Dear Doghouseblues

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am sorry that on this occasion our usual exceptional levels of service slipped. I can assure you that corrective action has been taken and I do hope that you will visit us again and we can restore your faith in us.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I hadn't heard of Apex hotels before and booked on Secret Escapes. What a gem, tucked down a quiet street yet on the doorstep of Tower Bridge and the Tower Of London. The tube station is also nearby. Our room was fantastic, spacious, spotless and luxurious, especially the lovely bathrobes, slippers and toiletries. All the staff were extremely polite and friendly and very helpful Can't wait to visit again, excellent value for money.

Dear Gillian

Thank you for yor very kind comments. I will ensure that they are shared with the team. It is great to hear that you found the hotel and amenities so luxurious and such great value for money.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here on a weekend trip to the Paralympics. This is as good as nearby 5* star hotels and I will definitely stay here again rather than the 5* neighbours.

Easy walking distance to Tower Bridge and the South Bank nightlife.

Highly recommended and excellent value for money.

Dear Hanson

Thank you very much for your kind comments, it is great that you felt the service we offered was on a par with 5* hotels in the area. I will ensure I share this feedback with the team.