“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #661 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

When I arrived at the hotel, they took me over directly, one of the young man at the reception has been checked that my room was ready, the other brought me up my suitcase to the room, giving me guidance on what might interest me.
There is a book in the room informing in detail about the services offered by the hotel.
We have the choice morning English breakfast or other on demand.
Nice bedroom offer, helpful & friendly staff, I enjoyed :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this review, July 22, 2014

Thanks for your positive review

We appreciate all feedback we get.

Our aim is to helpful as possible and we are always on hand to help with anything you need.

Thanks again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The online price for a room at the Melville is very reasonable for a central London hotel, extremely convenient if you are using King's Cross. I had a poor experience in the past when I was housed in the "flat" in another building some way away, but on this occasion my wife and I had a double room in the main building (a series of terraced houses). It was small, as one would expect, but everything worked well. Because of the unusual heat, we had the window open as wide as possible, which meant rather a lot of noise from the street.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the main building.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest

We are very pleased that you had a positive experience staying with us.

We are always on hand to help with anything you need .

Thanks again

東京
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I was in London in early July and stayed at the Melville for two nights. This hotel has a massive bed bug problem. I got over 120 bites on my body. Upon returning home I had to seek medical attention because my entire body was (and still is) covered in bites. It's been over a week and a half and I still have to take medication and spend time putting ointment on the bites.

Other than that the hotel was ok: nice location, polite staff, decent rooms. Wifi did not work properly at all times. None of that really matters though, as I'm still suffering from the bed bug bites that cover my entire body.

Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
12 Thank sadakola

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My partner and I stayed in Melville for a night on our way to and from a holiday to Paris but this stay ended up being the better than our actual holiday.

The location was perfect as it was only 2 minutes away from King's Cross station. The staff were all helpful and even managed to give us our room earlier than the check-in time. Room 45 on the ground floor was a good size and clean.Free wi-fi, although they should have a/c in rooms. Nevertheless, i was given a fan when I asked. Breakfast in the morning was excellent, a hearty English breakfast with many other things.

Good value for money for a hotel in Central London and will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Hair dryers, fans must be asked at the reception
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thanks for your kind review.

We appreciate all our feedback we get from our guests.

If we have rooms ready when you arrive we will definitely let you have them !

You mentioned many positive things in your review and we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and in London

Many thanks

Sheringham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

A good clean hotel with friendly helpful reception staff. The breakfast at £6.50 is good value for London. Close to main line stations and underground, so access to most of the London sights is fairly easy. I had a basement room that had 1 window that over-look the steps outside. There was no curtain so to preserve my privacy I had to close the shutters and use the lights (not so good). En-suite is adequate. Coffee making facility in the room but no TEA!!!!!! However, overall a good reasonably priced hotel (for London) and one I wouldn't hesitate to use again.

Room Tip: Probably better to be above ground floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear guest

Thanks for your positive review

We appreciate all the feedback.

You mentioned many positives-

Good Value for money; Good Clean Hotel ; friendly helpful reception staff.
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Melville for 2 nights earlier this week. I lived in London for many years so wanted something around this area for convenience as it is very centrally located and I like to walk into the West end. If not walking then it is 2 mins from Kings X and St Pancras, which was ideal for my friend who was leaving on the Eurostar.
We really liked the hotel, which with the modern decor has a 'boutique' feel. We were originally given the basement room which I was not keen on as I wanted to be upstairs, albeit the room was nice, clean etc. They have even gone to the trouble of having a mural (a rather cool graffiti art one) painted on the wall outside the window...a nice idea I thought! I asked if there was any possibility that we could be moved and it was no problem at all. Staff were helpful, got us a room upstairs and even carried our bags up for us. We ended up on the 3rd floor. No problem for us but it is a steep narrow stairwell due to being an older building. Our new room, No 34 was nice, modern and clean. Rooms are not big but this is a budget price for a central London hotel and really how much time do you spend in your room anyway. Bed was very comfy though pillows to soft and flat for me, but that is just my personal taste. Linen was crisp, white and spotlessly clean. The hotel decor is great and there is a lot of lovely and well chosen artwork and mirrors around the hotel and in the rooms. Room was hot as it was a sunny week but there was a fan provided in the room which we were happy to use - and were happy it was available in the room without having to ask for one. We didn't have breakfast so I'm unable to comment on that.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are older - or don't want to climb steep stairs, don't go for 3rd floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
Dear Guest

Thanks for your many positive comments and excellent review for our hotel

We always try to help our guests of course in any way we can

We appreciate all your comments and gives us great encouragement for the future.

Mant thanks

We hope to see you again

Regards

Guernsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The hotel is in a quiet street with a small park opposite Location to King's Cross/ St Pancras/ British Library is perfect. The room on the second floor was a double of reasonable size with a comfortable bed and pillows, clean linen and good size bath towels. The en-suite was clean although the mirror over the basin was far too high to be of use to anyone of average height! Hairdries are available upon request. There are plenty of power sockets for charging eletronic devises. As I was out and about very early I didn't have breakfast (which is not included in the price) on this visit. The staff were polite and for £1 per case you can leave your luggage there to be collected later. Overall a pleasent stay in a good location. I would certainly consider using thei hotel again for future visits.

Room Tip: There isn't a lift and the stairs are quite steep so for the more mature person I would suggset...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
      Location
Dear Guest

Thanks for your positive review ; we appreciate it very much.

Thank you for your kind words; it gives us great encouragement for the future.

We hope to see you again.

Regards