“A little gem - July 2014”
Review of Hotel Melville

Hotel Melville
Ranked #821 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 12, 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Melville for 2 nights earlier this week. I lived in London for many years so wanted something around this area for convenience as it is very centrally located and I like to walk into the West end. If not walking then it is 2 mins from Kings X and St Pancras, which was ideal for my friend who was leaving on the Eurostar.
We really liked the hotel, which with the modern decor has a 'boutique' feel. We were originally given the basement room which I was not keen on as I wanted to be upstairs, albeit the room was nice, clean etc. They have even gone to the trouble of having a mural (a rather cool graffiti art one) painted on the wall outside the window...a nice idea I thought! I asked if there was any possibility that we could be moved and it was no problem at all. Staff were helpful, got us a room upstairs and even carried our bags up for us. We ended up on the 3rd floor. No problem for us but it is a steep narrow stairwell due to being an older building. Our new room, No 34 was nice, modern and clean. Rooms are not big but this is a budget price for a central London hotel and really how much time do you spend in your room anyway. Bed was very comfy though pillows to soft and flat for me, but that is just my personal taste. Linen was crisp, white and spotlessly clean. The hotel decor is great and there is a lot of lovely and well chosen artwork and mirrors around the hotel and in the rooms. Room was hot as it was a sunny week but there was a fan provided in the room which we were happy to use - and were happy it was available in the room without having to ask for one. We didn't have breakfast so I'm unable to comment on that.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are older - or don't want to climb steep stairs, don't go for 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for your many positive comments and excellent review for our hotel

We always try to help our guests of course in any way we can

We appreciate all your comments and gives us great encouragement for the future.

Mant thanks

We hope to see you again

There are newer reviews for Hotel Melville

Reviewed June 29, 2014

The hotel is in a quiet street with a small park opposite Location to King's Cross/ St Pancras/ British Library is perfect. The room on the second floor was a double of reasonable size with a comfortable bed and pillows, clean linen and good size bath towels. The en-suite was clean although the mirror over the basin was far too high to be of use to anyone of average height! Hairdries are available upon request. There are plenty of power sockets for charging eletronic devises. As I was out and about very early I didn't have breakfast (which is not included in the price) on this visit. The staff were polite and for £1 per case you can leave your luggage there to be collected later. Overall a pleasent stay in a good location. I would certainly consider using thei hotel again for future visits.

Room Tip: There isn't a lift and the stairs are quite steep so for the more mature person I would suggset...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Dear Guest

Thanks for your positive review ; we appreciate it very much.

Thank you for your kind words; it gives us great encouragement for the future.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Melville for 3 nights in June 2014. It is very conveniently located, near St. Pancras & King's Cross stations, and only a few blocks from Euston Station. There is a charming park across the street. We were afraid that it would be noisy, but the park closes at 10 pm. The room was small, but clean. We knew there was no lift, so that wasn't a surprise. Overall, we liked it and would consider staying there again.

Pluses: Friendly, helpful staff; location, clean, plenty of receptacles for charging our devices..

Minuses: Small room, no hair dryer, very thin pillows.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thanks for your positive review

We appreciate it very much.

We hope to see you again in the future

Warm wishes

Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is a 2 minute walk from kings cross St Pancras so is great for anyone needing access to the underground as we did. Hotel it's self was clean and tidy, staff were all nice and helpful with any questions. We stayed in a double bedroom on the ground floor, room was small but we only used it for sleep and to get ready so was fine for our needs. Only negative was no air conditioning, left the window open at nights so obviously there was going to be some noise from the street but nothing a pair of ear plugs couldn't cancel out. Overall we enjoyed the stay here and would definitely come back.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Rachael1609
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks again for your review we appreciate all feedback we get from our customers

Positives - Location ; Clean ; Tidy ; helpful staff

Negatives - No AC ; We are a grade 2 listed building - Camden Council won't allow us to put these in. I will keep pestering them for consent to do this ; I also would love to install these in to the rooms - even if it only gets used for 5 days of sunshine we have a year !

Thanks again for your positive feedback

Manager

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Staff were very plesant and helpful. Hotel was clean. Room although small was fine when you're out and about all day. Remember to take shampoo and shower gel as none provided as is normal in all other hotels I've stayed. If they could stretch to air con room would have been so much better as it was very hot the two nights we stayed. Bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thanks for your review

Positives : Pleasant & Helpful Staff…Clean room Comfortable bed

Negatives : NO AC… We would sincerely love to put AC units in all the rooms; however we are a Grade 2 listed building and it is impossible to get consent from Camden Council to install these in our rooms … We will keep trying and hopefully they will change their mind ! British summer dictates we will only really need to use these units for 5 days out of 365 !

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We only had one night booked here as it is close to St. Pancras station to get the Eurostar. Room was in the basement and while it was clean and newly refurbished the problems for us were......no bin in room (only very small one in bathroom), no plug for sink, no soap or little shampoos etc (we were told to use the hand wash over the sink as soap for shower), no shelf in shower and very slow wi-fi. Also at night we could hear anyone that walked over the top of our room which was straight under reception .......very noisy! Would not stay there again. Attention to detail, even if small, does make a difference!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pdhgirl

Dear Guest;

Thanks for your review

Positives : Rooms clean and newly refurbished

Negatives : No bin in the room only in the bathroom- this easily fixed ; we have put a bin in in the room now.
No plug for sink - A guest recently left the plug down and the tap on - flooded the bathroom ! We have decided to remove all plugs as a result …. You can still wash your face; shave and brush your teeth with no issues .
Soap - There is a soap dispenser over the sink ; and there is one now conveniently placed in the shower also .
Noise from above- We have ordered a bespoke large rug for the reception which we are waiting to take delivery on at any moment .

We are paying attention to the fine details and are listening to our guests .

Patrickj

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I have given travel reviews in the past here on TripAdvisor, on other travel websites, as well as travel blogs (and every place I can...I will place the same information)...I have never been more disgusted with the blatant "bait and switch" practice at this hotel. The only way for a traveler to get a clear view of what they are expecting in a room is the pictures and advertisement stated when booking the room through the website. I booked a family room for my husband and I, due to the picture and description on the hotel website. When I arrived at the hotel it looked pleasant enough in the lobby, we arrived early, so the gentleman at the front desk allowed us to store our luggage. When we got back to the hotel to check in, we were taken to an entirely different location at what looked like a apartment type building across the street. I was welcomed to this place by the homeless man, drinking a beer on the entrance right next to our door entrance. Then we were made to walk up 4 flights of stairs in a disgustingly dingy hallway, and brought to a "family room" that was old, smelled of mold and old trash, had flies flying through the open windows (no AC) and obviously NOT what is shown and advertised on the website (and what was reflected in my booking confirmation by the Hotel Melville). It looked like a very old, worn down flat, with two rooms (not the open room advertised), nasty appliances, and a bathroom that looks like it hadn't been cleaned properly or updated (including the mold on the ceilings-I am posting pictures). This is what I was promised in the advertisement of their Family Suite.
*Bed(s) Size(s): 1 x King sized 5ft double bed ; and 1x 4ft 6inch double bed;Hypnos Beds- I have pictures...the beds were about dble/queen size with bedding that I was almost afraid to sleep on.
*Room Size : 15-20 metres squared- This room was split in to two bedrooms( the reason I booked the Family room in the first place was to have a larger open room like the picture advertised on the website.)
*Internet : Free Wifi and LAN available in room- Did not work, but they did offer to see why that was the case...I was so upset at the time I just didn't want to deal with it.
*The Family Suite is our largest room, with a Modern, Fresh and very Urban design style. It has a balcony with park views and an en-suite private bathroom with Hans Grohe fittings and Rainfall Shower.- This was a definite NO...NOTHING was modern, fresh or urban..we had NO balcony and the bathroom did not have Hans Grohe fittings or a rainfall shower.

So maybe this hotel thought it was fine to give my husband and I this room because we were there only one night....but regardless I PAID and RECEIVED a confirmation for a ROOM that I did not get!! It was a classic BAIT and SWITCH..and it is an unethical business practice.
I asked the desk person (possibly the manager or owner) if the place(alternative location) we were staying was part of the Melville Hotel, and he said "yes, we have three hotels" and then later I asked if there were any rooms in the place that I thought I booked (The Hotel Melville) and he said they had no rooms available. So they knew they had overbooked and I probably wasn't spending enough money to justify them giving me the room I was confirmed.
DO NOT STAY HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! There are much nicer accommodations in the same area...look further.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bluestocking74

Dear Guest

I hold my hands up and agree you were not given what you booked .

You booked a Family room in the Melville and were allocated the Family apartment located in an annexe building .

We have to apologise for this .

Why were you not given the room you had booked ? This was not " bait and switch " - we do not need to do this and we are not un ethical.

An elderly couple ( over 70 yrs ) had booked the apartment but upon check in could not climb all the stairs to enter the flat . What could we do ? We had to offer them your room …. It was not an ideal situation but a decision had to be made immediately .

We apologise again for this unfortunate situation .

If there is anything else I can do please e mail me