“Very noisy”

Ranked #830 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Very noisy”
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very convenient for the Eurostar. It's moderately priced for London. It is situated in a pleasant Georgian square and the hotel looks good.
We had a club double which was clean and nicely decorated. The room was small but for one night, ok. In the winter with the window shut I am sure you could probably get a good nights sleep; however since there is no AC it means that it has to be open in summer. To that effect, you can hear everything (and I mean everything!!!) echoing through the room. There was a small outside walkway just outside below our room where other guests would congregate to smoke. This meant that we could smell cigarette smoke in our room more or less all night.
We stayed here so we could relax before we jumped on the Eurostar; now we are even more knackered.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank David R
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and time taken to let us know your thoughts ; all reviews are vital for us to improve our service and quality of accommodation offered.

Positives : Convenient for Eurostar..Well priced …Pleasant Georgian Square …Hotel Looks Good…Clean and nicely decorated..

Negatives : You found the room to be noisy… I believe it was a Saturday night you stayed .. We ask all guests to be mindful of our other guests when entering and leaving the building and especially in the evenings. We don't have a curfew so guests can return at any time of the night ..
Smoking is only allowed outside of the building on the public street .
Im not sure what we can do to improve here on this ? The front door is shut at night for security reasons and to stop external noises from coming in ..The reception door leading to the rooms is also closed at night to reduce any noise . We are looking into alternatives.

Thanks again for your review and time

Patrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Don't be fooled by the photos on the website, most of them are of the lobby and don't reflect the state of the rooms. We had booked a club double, and I was surprised how small and pokey it was - hate to think what a double was like. The first one we were offered had a broken sliding door to the bathroom, which they were getting fixed sometime. We were offered the other ground floor club double which we took, but it was quite noisy. The bathroom had been recently refurbished but there was no soap tray in the shower, and no extractor fan so it got very hot and steamy. The breakfast was average to say the least, and the staff had a definite attitude problem. The only positive aspect of this hotel is it's close proximity to Kings Cross Station.

Room Tip: Don't accept the club rooms on the ground floor, they are very noisy
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rick M
Dear Guest

With a 194 reviews under your belt; you either have a lot of time or enjoy trouble shooting !

We were very accommodating towards you as we are with all our guests . We offered various options to you under the category of room type you booked " CLUB DOUBLE ". All sizes of our rooms are displayed clearly on our website so you know everything before you decide to book with us. Room 45 where you stayed is an excellent room and is shown on our websites . We have received many compliments on this room from our guests. If you look down the reviews you will see this ….
NB : there is an extractor fan in this bathroom as there are in all bathrooms ( some guests choose to turn this off as they don't like the sound it makes ; others don't mind- it over runs for 30 seconds only )

Breakfast : Cooked breakfast options available( scrambled eggs fried eggs, bacon, sausage) ; fresh fruit ; Lavazza Coffee ; Tea ; juices ; yoghurt; ham slices and cheese ….all for £7 per person and served in our brand new conservatory ………. What more can we do ? Im listening ….

Patrick

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Brampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Reception looks nice, my room was awful. Was asked if I wanted to "upgrade" to a bigger, family room or stay in a double. I asked which was the nicer room and he replied " all rooms are the same". So I went for the bigger room. It was in their other hotel; Excelsior. On first sight I thought "I guess it will do for one night...nothing remotely special". I had to dash straight out again to meet friends so didn't have time to investigate whether the smell of wet dog and Indian food would vanish if I aired the room, or if the room just stank. The bathroom window was open so I hoped it would sort it. Upon returning, I discovered the room just stank. The bathroom was modern and fairly clean but the toilet dripped constantly. There were no mattress or pillow protectors on any of the beds. I didn't want to sleep in someone elses "leftovers" so I got the duvet off the single bed, lay on top of the bed and unnder the single duvet. The single mattress looked like it had been reclaimed from a squat, which made me not want to touch the duvet but I just slept with the top side against me! I called booking.com and was told the hotel was full and to inform them Id be making a complaint. I wasn't about to start walking the streets lookjng for an alternative at such a late hour.. KX is not a nice place to be let alone at night! When I checked out and said I was going to lodge a complaint and he said "I offered you another room when you checkex in, yes and you told me all the rooms were the same!! So, don't go. It is vile.

1 Thank ShoppingGoddess
Dear Guest

Thanks for your review and comments.

You had booked the Melville hotel where we reserved your room - You said you wanted a room immediately so we gave you a family room in the Excelsior as thats what you then wanted .

The smell if Indian food was obviously coming from the room next door - Even though we ask guests to not eat food in the rooms for this very reason …however people still do it .

We have just bought a batch of new mattress protectors for our rooms as they needed upgrading . These will be on the beds very soon !

We are listening all the time and improving .
Didcot, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Booked this for the great location to the Eurostar, on arrival room wasn't ready and when it was smelt of smoke, advised reception and offered another room - at extra cost to us, the receptionist came to room and sprayed some air freshner, went out and came back to room still smelling of smoke, NO no smoking signs anywhere seen in hotel! won't stay again!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LindaBlackford

Thanks for your review

Firstly we apologise that you though the room smelt of smoke

We are a Non Smoking hotel ; In this day and age there is really no need for non smoking signs as all public places are non smoking by law.However we do have non smoking signs in the common areas .We can not control if a guest has decided to break the law and is selfish enough to smoke in the room. Smokers are fined £50 for smoking in the room. I checked the room myself and I personally could not smell anything …. I offered an alternative room but you said it was on a floor too high- This was the only option for us as the hotel was fully booked .

It angers me when people disregard others and smoke in the rooms - it is totally selfish and unlawful !

Thanks for your review

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stayed here for the weekend, there was 3 couples and our stay was great. Easy to check in, clean & comfortable rooms, good breakfast, friendly staff and gorgeous decor. Overall fab place to stay was so central to Kings Cross station would definitely recommend staying here and would happily come back to stay here again!

Room Tip: Room 45 seemed to be slightly larger than the other rooms we had!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thanks for your excellent review for our hotel.

We are happy and encouraged by this

Easy check , clean and comfortable rooms ; good breakfast ; friendly staff and gorgeous decor !

This is what we strive to achieve and we are all happy about this review !

Room 45 : Is one of our Club rooms and is larger than a standard double.

Florence, Toscana, Italy
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I go to London almost once a year, even if I'm a Italian, I love London and I love to be near King's cross metro station.

This little hotel was the perfect solution.
Superclean, right in the middle of Argyle Square, 2 mins away by foot from King's Cross Station, but also supercalm neighbourhood.
Great and helpful staff.
I'll definitely be back.
Best place where I've been sleeping all these years.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank DanieleBini
Dear Guest

We appreciate your wonderful review of our hotel .

Superclean ; great location helpful staff ! Best place you have visited in all these years ….

This gives us great encouragement and we look forward to see you again.

Netherlands
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Very clean room, everything looks new and well-maintained, the bed is comfortable and the shower is fine. Some less nice things: wifi was very slow in the evening, the tv only has 5 channels, and the wash basin is unpleasantly small. In fact, it looks like a wash basin from a lavatory, not a normal size bathroom sink. There is hardly any room to manoever and the soap dispenser is very much in the way when brushing teeth or washing face. Otherwise pleasant and quiet.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thanks for your positive comments

We work hard to ensure the rooms are well maintained and spotlessly cleaned . We are very thorough in maintaining the hotel.

Negatives : The Wifi can be slow in the evenings when the hotel is fully booked and all guests are trying to be online at the same time. The solution we offer is that we have 2 separate Wifi networks and LAN access also. Washbasin : it would be totally impractical to have a large basin in the bathrooms ; this size is the best fit for the space given. We will also look into moving the soap dispenser to a different place.

Thanks for your comments ; it is vital information for us and we are listening and learning all the time.

Many thanks