“Good location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Melville

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Melville
Ranked #746 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Pembrokeshire
“Good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights over the New Year. Great location, close to the tube yet located in a quiet street. Very warm welcome on checking in, & suitcase carried to my room.
I was put in room 45 which was on the ground floor just around the corner from reception. The room was small but the decor was modern and both the room & bedroom were very clean.
The disadvantage of this room was that you could hear every conversation from the reception arrea (actually had to get out of bed at 1.30am the first night to ask the male receptionist if he could lower his voice during the conversation he was having with a female guest/girlfriend?), and the phone....and the damn doorbell!!
I didn't have breakfast, so can't comment on it
I would look at using this hotel again when visiting London, but I would request a room on the first floor

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
yorkshire, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here to see in the new year. The hotel is in an excellent location a short walk from Kings Cross.
Our room was very clean, modern and well decorated. The only small gripe was that it was very warm but leaving the window slightly open while we went out fixed this.
Had a great nights sleep and looked forward to breakfast the next morning. What is otherwise a pleasant stay is let down badly by this. A short walk to another hotel down some steep steps into a basement I was greeted by a scruffily dressed (jeans and jumper) man who showed me to my table. No cutlery set up - you pick this from a school dinner type container. I was offered a croissant - and that was it! No cooked breakfast on offer. At the other side of the room was some white bread piled high on a scruffy plate with two grimy toasters sat nearby. There was also a glass bowl of what looked like tinned fruit. I ate some toast and couldn't wait to get out of there. It was a very surreal experience and about a quarter of the quality of even a Travelodge breakfast.
All in all a very comfortable modern hotel let down badly by the breakfast quality.

• Stayed December 2012
Loughborough
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Room was fine - clean and had everything we needed. Ideal location and centrally based and the guys on reception were great in letting us leave our bags before and after checking in / out. However, the heating was on full whack when we arrived and the room was absolutely stifling! The thermostat was on maximum for some reason. We struggled to open the sash window before going out, to ensure it was a lot cooler when we returned later on - in mid-December! To be fair it was unseasonably mild during our stay, but surely a huge waste of energy for the hotel? Quite nosy during the night as we left the window open until the morning as the temperature was still too warm for sleeping. They would be far better off investing in their breakfast provision, which was rather poor. We had to go to the sister hotel to have breakfast, but it really wasn't worth the 500 yard walk to be honest! A significantly sub-standard continental breakfast, served in another stiflingly warm room within the basement. I had some toast and butter to avoid the embarassment of walking straight out again (how British!). Would have preferred to have paid slightly less and taken breakfast elsewhere though. Overall, would stay again however, given ideal location and cleanliness and convenience of the room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Generally dissatisfied with the whole thing - beware of the pictures, the rooms are very small, and the "double bed" is marginally bigger than a single. To begin with the porter was never there to let us in so we had to buzz and wait outside for him to eventually show up. We had to change rooms because our first one had a scorching hot shower, then the second room had a very temperamental shower but we at least managed to wash! The whole building suffers from leaky pipes and you can hear water in the middle of the night trickling, it's very annoying. Also, there was no remote control for our TV and when we mentioned it the reply was "sorry". Well my friend, I'm also sorry I spent some well earned cash for this :(

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maria C

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Read a number of the other reviews and was a bit worried - in particular one spoke about dirty rooms and stench of urine. I cannot believe that this is the same place. Yes the room is very small indeed but perfectly OK for a one night stopover. At £78.00 for the night an incredible bargain in fact.

It was clean and much to my surprise quiet. However, the unique location of room 44 may have had something to do with the quiet as I dont think there are any adjoining rooms.

Didnt have breakfast so no view on it. If like me you need to catch the early Eurostar I would heartily recommend this hotel although I would suggest you ask for the same room in case others are more noisy. If you are over 6 foot I wouldnt stay here though. I am 5'8" and I had no problem.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Truro, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed 3 nights in this hotel while at a conference in London. The location is good and the hotel is clean and modern. However the rooms are very small even for one person and thay had no mirrors I could see in! I am 5'2" tall and the first room I was offered had no mirror I could even see my face in .....if I stood on tip-toe I could just see the top of my head. As I was at a number of important functions it was really important that I could do my make-up and hair and check out how I looked. The member of staff dealing with me seemed most offended and bemused when I asked for another room and had difficulty finding me a room that had a mirror at the right hight to see my face. I have stayed in hundreds and hundreds of hotels in my life ....all sorts of ratings....but never had a room without a mirror. Also there was no bedside lamp...only overhead lighting with no dimmer switch.
Luckily the room was just a place to get changed and sleep and if thats all you're after it will do the trick.....as long as you don't mind a tight squeeze. However I would think again....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Druogno, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

We spent 5 nights at the Melville Hotel this Summer during the Olympic Games. Actually I booked for the Excelsior but we slept in this instead and it was a problem at all as long as we had a place to sleep!
We really enjoyed our stay at the Melville. Before leaving we read on this sites and other some recensions and there were so many people complaing for the space and other services.
I think that for what you pay (think about £) it is really a competitive price.
The position is just perfect. You have everything around you. Place to eat (McDonalds, Restaraunts, Starbucks Coffie,...) the King Cross Station and also the Tube at less of 5 minutes walk (and the Underground Station is one with all the connections to the main attractions of London and Heathrow Airport.
It is true that the room is little and you don't have a lot of space. But for people like us, visiting London all day and spending time in the room just to wash up and sleep that wasn't really a problem.
We left our things in the suitcase and put it under the bed when we didn't need it.
The place is really clean and the forniture is modern. You also have the wi-fi connection. Sometimes I had difficulties in catch the signal but if you have patience it works perfectly.
I read people complaining about the towels. It is written on the bathroom door what to do if you want them to be changed! We didn't care if they were changed everyday. We don't do that at home, so why do we need it in a hotel where we spend just 5 nights?
Anyway they were changed everyday.
About breakfast. You have to go to a basement at the Albion Hotel. True that there's not a lot of space also in the breakfast room but we didn't find any problem. We got there everyday around 8.30 and then left to enjoy the beauty of the city.
I really suggest you this hotel if you are a couple, travelling with friends or alone. If I am going back to London someday, I will book here again for sure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple