“A good place to stay”
Review of Hotel Melville

Hotel Melville
Ranked #826 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We spent 5 nights at the Melville Hotel this Summer during the Olympic Games. Actually I booked for the Excelsior but we slept in this instead and it was a problem at all as long as we had a place to sleep!
We really enjoyed our stay at the Melville. Before leaving we read on this sites and other some recensions and there were so many people complaing for the space and other services.
I think that for what you pay (think about £) it is really a competitive price.
The position is just perfect. You have everything around you. Place to eat (McDonalds, Restaraunts, Starbucks Coffie,...) the King Cross Station and also the Tube at less of 5 minutes walk (and the Underground Station is one with all the connections to the main attractions of London and Heathrow Airport.
It is true that the room is little and you don't have a lot of space. But for people like us, visiting London all day and spending time in the room just to wash up and sleep that wasn't really a problem.
We left our things in the suitcase and put it under the bed when we didn't need it.
The place is really clean and the forniture is modern. You also have the wi-fi connection. Sometimes I had difficulties in catch the signal but if you have patience it works perfectly.
I read people complaining about the towels. It is written on the bathroom door what to do if you want them to be changed! We didn't care if they were changed everyday. We don't do that at home, so why do we need it in a hotel where we spend just 5 nights?
Anyway they were changed everyday.
About breakfast. You have to go to a basement at the Albion Hotel. True that there's not a lot of space also in the breakfast room but we didn't find any problem. We got there everyday around 8.30 and then left to enjoy the beauty of the city.
I really suggest you this hotel if you are a couple, travelling with friends or alone. If I am going back to London someday, I will book here again for sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Melville

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Great location, everything very new and very clean and £117 per night for B&B within a five-minute stroll from Kings Cross Station. Can't really argue with that.

Things I would have changed if I could, none of which would have stopped me booking again... The room was unbelievably small, with a 3/4 bed not the advertised double. Breakfast is served in another hotel and getting in late at night was disconcerting because the "24-hour reception" man appeared from a hotel further down the road to let us in after we buzzed.

Biggest drawback of all though - laminate flooring throughout. Why on earth would anyone think that laminate is a good idea in a hotel bedroom? The people in the room next door got back at 5am and despite them being as quiet as they could, it still sounded as though they were just about to get into the bed with us!

If you're staying in the Kings Cross area then there's lots of places worse than this.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BigCol63
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed here on business for two nights in a double room. The room was one of the smallest I've ever stayed in, but fitted a double bed that was surprisingly comfortable. The room was clean and the hotel very close to King's Cross station (less than 5 minutes walk). Fine for a single traveller or a very cosy couple - but I think two would struggle to stay in the room for more than a few days. One negative - the front door is locked at night with a 24 hour reception allowing people into the building. Unfortunately, I had to wait 5 minutes to be let in (buzzing several times)! When the guy on reception finally strolled back to the desk to let me (I could see him through the window) was no apology for the LONG wait - in fact, I was barely acknowledged.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are probably quieter because they are further away from street noise (I was a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is in a super position for Kings Cross/St Pancras. We booked 2 rooms for 2 nights, and although the rooms are only small, they are more than adequate. The beds were clean, fresh and comfortable. The bathrooms were spotlessly clean and fully tiled to a high standard. The Melville is classed as a budget hotel, and for the amount of time spent in the hotel rooms I feel they are very good value - after all, it is only somewhere to sleep after a long day enjoying the sights! The staff are very helpful and kept our luggage safe after checking out until our late train home. I cant comment on breakfast facilities, as we opted to cross the road to the station for breakfast each morning (much more to choose from) My only grumble was that only one of our 2 rooms had a lovely large mirror in the bedroom as well as a small one in the bathroom. Having said that, it by no means spoilt our stay by not having 2 mirrors!! Will certainly book this hotel for our next trip to London.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The room should not have been sold as a double room, the bed was only 4ft wide (known as a 3/4 bed), the most uncomfortable night we've had in a hotel. I could cope with the small room, everything was fresh and clean, but I feel it was an insult to offer it as a double, when it was clearly unsuitable. Sounded great having a kettle - try filling it from the sink!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Hotel frontage and reception looked impressive and the receptionist was very friendly. However, as we were taken to our room it got drastically worse. As we entered our bedroom ther smell of stale urine was awful. It was worse in the bathroom. The valance on the beds were filthy. The water in the toilet dissapeared so we couldn`t flush. Tile off bathroom wall lying on the floor with a hole in the wall where it had been. The breakfasts are served across the square at a different hotel. My family and I went across and were greeted with a queue and were told it was too busy so we would have to wait outside for the queue to go down. It was cold and raining so we went to McDonalds. Never again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Guest

I do believe this is posted to a wrong location

None of the beds in the Melville Hotel have valances on them as we do not have divan beds anywhere in the hotel . The description doesn not match any of our rooms at all !

I have disputed this review with tripadvisor but it seems that they have nothing about it

The Melville Hotel is a brand new hotel and is maintained to a godd standard. If you read the other reviews for this hotel you will see that .

Manager
Patrick

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is brillliantly positioned in a quiet square 5 mins walk from St Pancras and King's Cross station. The rooms are small, but clean and comfortable, adequate lighting for reading (unusual!!)
with TV, radio and kettle. The only downside was the trip across the square for a rather ordinary breakfast. However, it is classed as a budget hotel and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple