“Just what we were looking for!”
Review of Hotel Melville

Hotel Melville
Ranked #805 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Wisconsin
“Just what we were looking for!”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The highlight of this hotel is the Location, Location, Location! It's just down the road from kings cross station, which connects so many of the tube lines it's easy to go anywhere from here. Also st. Pancreas, which is the eurostar train station to Paris. Is it small? Sure, but after doing lots of hotel research for our trip, it seems to be the theme of European hotels, so don't expect U.S. standard rooms. But the staff was overly nice! The price was just right. It was just what we were looking for. Safe, excellent location, clean, and low price. If you need a place to sleep at night while you explored London during the day, this is a great option. Oh and the bed was absolutely so comfortable! I think it was more comfortable than our own bed at home! We were there at the end of June. They didn't have air condition, but I carried around a sweater everyday, it's not like it was ever hot. They do have free wifi tho. Nice budget friendly hotel!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Pleasantly modern and clean hotel, with lovely bathroom fixtures and fittings.
Bed was not the most comfortable (overly soft) and it was very hot. We were on the top floor - nearly killed us dragging the cases all the way up!
Breakfast disappointing - served in partner hotel across the road, limited choice of food, but toast and coffee were nice enough.
Would use this hotel again for overnight stay in the capital. Staff were helpful and polite.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2012

When we arrived at receprion there was a friendly man gave us our key. We were on the top floor 3 floors up but that wasn't too bad.

Food - We had bed and breakfast. We had to ask the receptionist as were the breakfast room was. They took us outside the hotel and into a different hotel all together in the basement. If was cramped and not much option for breakfast cereal, toast and egg. We had a glass of juice and went. We felt sooo uncomfortable. Didn't eat breakfast there the nest day.

Room - Clean and tidy. Slightly on the small side but we were only their for 2 nights. Towels were change everyday.

Perfect location though 5 mins away from Euston station 2 mins away from kings cross.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have to stay in London a least 3 times a month for business always staying at named hotels. I discovered the Melville Hotel a couple of months ago when I couldn't get a room at my usual hotels.
I now always stay at The Melville as it has everything I want in a hotel at a fantastic price. The rooms are exceptionally clean, modern, quiet and in a great location for me to get around London with ease.
I have always found the staff to be helpful and organised and would definitely recommend

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Chris D
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Lovely hotel and very pleasantly surprised. It was very modern,lovely decor and extremely clean. Rooms were quite small but idea for 2 people. Beds were very very very comfortable and bedding was clean and fresh. Great value for money compared to other hotels. 2 mins walk to Kings Cross and then tubes available to the most popular parts of London. Would recommend this hotel to anyone. Only negative I found was going to breakfast in the hotel up the road in a small basement, however whilst we were there a breakfast room was being built. Very friendly staff. Wifi was free and there was a docking station for your ipod so could listen to music in the room. TV and Cable Channels were available. I would go back to this hotel in a shot. So if you are reading this I hope it makes your decision an easy one. I stayed in the room which was opposite the park and whilst there were people out late at night it didn't keep me awake. If it wasn't for the Breakfast and Dining Area I would have given this a 5.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Zoe E
Valladolid, Spain
Reviewed July 11, 2012

THEY WANTED TO CHARGE US THE PAYMENT TWICE. they said to booking that we have cancelled the reservation and we payed on cash and they said to booking that we have cancelled so booking ask the money for the cancelation that we never make, because we stayed there. The manager Patrick denied me the complain form and I had to call the POLICE. BE CAREFULL WITH THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Marta R
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Madam

I did not try and charge you twice and I would never do this. The problem here is that your English is very limited ,even though you thought you are completely fluent ,unfortunately you are not. I tried to explain to you many times that you only paid once but you really didnt get it . I even rang booking.com to explain to you but you refused to listen. You were absolutely exasperating. All of my staff were exremely polite and helpful to you but you were in fact rude to everyone .

I am extremely dissapointed in how short tempered you were and you have distinct lack of general decorum. In fact one of my guests that day was totaly shocked by your manner and was happy you were leaving as she was checking in .

Good luck in the future !

Regards
Patrick

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

After reading reviews on here I did have my doubts about this hotel but it was within our budget and in a great location for us as we were travelling on the Eurostar the next morning. However, before we even walked in the door I was pleasantly surprised. It is a lot nicer on the outside than the majority of the hotels around that area and the reception area with very well presented. We were greeted quickly by a lovely man. He had trouble locating our booking but when my 3 year old daughter stated she was desperate for the loo he gave us a key straight away and told us we could go up whilst he sorted it out. He pointed us in the right direction and offered to help me with my bag (which I declined as I'd managed the tube, a few stairs were not a problem). Our room was lovely, spacious enough for myself, my husband and our daughter with 2 double beds. It had two huge windows overlooking a park and a lovely big tv with cbeebies! The only minor issue with the room for us was the fact there was no bath (as my daughter is terrified of showers) but I knew this in advance and it was only for one night so it really wasn't a problem. We had a good nights sleep, the wooden shutters block out the light incredibly well and the beds were very comfortable. In the morning it was just a short, 30 second walk over the road to their sister hotel for breakfast (which, again, I was aware of in advance) which unfortunately wasn't brilliant but it filled us up ok for the morning and it was the only negative to our stay. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room had a view of the park which was lovely.