“Great Hotel, clean , modern and quiet”
Review of Hotel Melville

Hotel Melville
Ranked #849 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have to stay in London a least 3 times a month for business always staying at named hotels. I discovered the Melville Hotel a couple of months ago when I couldn't get a room at my usual hotels.
I now always stay at The Melville as it has everything I want in a hotel at a fantastic price. The rooms are exceptionally clean, modern, quiet and in a great location for me to get around London with ease.
I have always found the staff to be helpful and organised and would definitely recommend

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Chris D

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Lovely hotel and very pleasantly surprised. It was very modern,lovely decor and extremely clean. Rooms were quite small but idea for 2 people. Beds were very very very comfortable and bedding was clean and fresh. Great value for money compared to other hotels. 2 mins walk to Kings Cross and then tubes available to the most popular parts of London. Would recommend this hotel to anyone. Only negative I found was going to breakfast in the hotel up the road in a small basement, however whilst we were there a breakfast room was being built. Very friendly staff. Wifi was free and there was a docking station for your ipod so could listen to music in the room. TV and Cable Channels were available. I would go back to this hotel in a shot. So if you are reading this I hope it makes your decision an easy one. I stayed in the room which was opposite the park and whilst there were people out late at night it didn't keep me awake. If it wasn't for the Breakfast and Dining Area I would have given this a 5.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Zoe E
Reviewed July 11, 2012

THEY WANTED TO CHARGE US THE PAYMENT TWICE. they said to booking that we have cancelled the reservation and we payed on cash and they said to booking that we have cancelled so booking ask the money for the cancelation that we never make, because we stayed there. The manager Patrick denied me the complain form and I had to call the POLICE. BE CAREFULL WITH THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Marta R
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear Madam

I did not try and charge you twice and I would never do this. The problem here is that your English is very limited ,even though you thought you are completely fluent ,unfortunately you are not. I tried to explain to you many times that you only paid once but you really didnt get it . I even rang booking.com to explain to you but you refused to listen. You were absolutely exasperating. All of my staff were exremely polite and helpful to you but you were in fact rude to everyone .

I am extremely dissapointed in how short tempered you were and you have distinct lack of general decorum. In fact one of my guests that day was totaly shocked by your manner and was happy you were leaving as she was checking in .

Good luck in the future !

Regards
Patrick

Reviewed July 9, 2012

After reading reviews on here I did have my doubts about this hotel but it was within our budget and in a great location for us as we were travelling on the Eurostar the next morning. However, before we even walked in the door I was pleasantly surprised. It is a lot nicer on the outside than the majority of the hotels around that area and the reception area with very well presented. We were greeted quickly by a lovely man. He had trouble locating our booking but when my 3 year old daughter stated she was desperate for the loo he gave us a key straight away and told us we could go up whilst he sorted it out. He pointed us in the right direction and offered to help me with my bag (which I declined as I'd managed the tube, a few stairs were not a problem). Our room was lovely, spacious enough for myself, my husband and our daughter with 2 double beds. It had two huge windows overlooking a park and a lovely big tv with cbeebies! The only minor issue with the room for us was the fact there was no bath (as my daughter is terrified of showers) but I knew this in advance and it was only for one night so it really wasn't a problem. We had a good nights sleep, the wooden shutters block out the light incredibly well and the beds were very comfortable. In the morning it was just a short, 30 second walk over the road to their sister hotel for breakfast (which, again, I was aware of in advance) which unfortunately wasn't brilliant but it filled us up ok for the morning and it was the only negative to our stay. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room had a view of the park which was lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Recently refurbished in bachelor-pad style. The rooms are clean, light and airy with fantastically comfortable beds. Mine overlooked the leafy square, which would have been perfect except for the car-loads of young guys who gathered there every evening and shouted until one o'clock in the morning.

More worrying was the lack of a safety chain or other way of securing the room door from the inside so that it couldn't be opened from outside with a key. As a woman travelling alone, for peace of mind I prefer this extra level of security.

Otherwise, I liked the clean and well appointed rooms, and the staff were friendly and helpful. There is no lift but the kind man on reception carried my bags. He also provided an ethernet cable when the wifi was playing up.

Other guests were not so fortunate: the hotel had overbooked and they were moving angry people to other hotels nearby. Breakfast was across the square in the small basement room of yet another hotel. An uninspiring continental breakfast and as there were only a few tables, some days there was a long queue outside to the street.

In short:

- very comfortable beds
- helpful staff

Negatives:
- disorganized
- limited continental breakfast only
- street noise
- no safety chain or other internal lock on room doors

Verdict: lots of good points but I wouldn't stay here again because of the street noise and room security issues.

Room Tip: Call in advance to check that you are getting a room in the hotel you paid for, not one of their sis...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank unsui_11
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Chosen for it's location, it provided a good choice, yards from Kings Cross station and seeming safe enough at night. It's liked to another hotel across the road, which was fortunate as the Melville was undergoing renovations to it's kitchen. Breakfast was in 'the other' hotel across the road in a surreal basement room, lit by arc lights as builders queued up for their morning cuppas.

Check before you visit to see how renovations might impact on you. But if it's all complete, then a big thumbs up to the place. The room I stayed in was modern and well furnished. The bed was possibly one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in (made locally), so you'll get a great night's sleep. I'd certainly go back.

And the chap behind reception couldn't have been any more helpful. Thanks for the service.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Mr Patrick P, Manager at Hotel Melville, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your candid review

I think you summed it up perfectly and we are happy for the good review ; it gives us great encouragement that we are doing a good job and look forward to serving all our guests in the future and welcoming you back the next time you are in London

We are always trying to improve the hotel and the service we offer

We are actively listening to our customers .

Manager
Patrick

Reviewed May 8, 2012

The first time I stayed at this hotel in 2005 it was a good hotel and since then I have stayed here every year. It is now better than ever cause its been entirely refurbed. The reception area is classy. Stayed in a double room, a newly refurbished, spacious room with all new fittings. Everything in the room worked perfectly. The bed and pillows were very comfortable, and the room very quiet, assuring a good sleep. The bathroom was clean. The staff were friendly, efficient and helpful. Breakfast was good. Check in and check out was quick and easy. Convenient location as about 1 min walk from St Pancras/Kings cross stations. For the price I paid, the hotel was excellent value.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business