“Will no be returning to this Hotel”
Review of Bakers Hotel

Bakers Hotel
Ranked #971 of 1,071 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The main reason I chose to stay at this hotel was because the rate was the best I could find on short notice, and it was convenient to Victoria Station. The location is great.

We stayed in a double suite room (with a bathroom inside the room) the rooms are VERY small; there is no place to put your suitcase or walk around. We had to keep moving our bags on top of the bed. The carpet is worn, but the place seems to be clean and the sheets were clean.

The most disappointing aspect of our stay was the beds. The mattress were very soft and small, you can feel the springs. VERY uncomfortable.

Breakfast was OK. Just a simple breakfast with some toast, yogurt, cereal, instant coffee, tea and orange juice.
About Customer Service. We got to the Hotel and got inside the building because some guests were leaving. There was no one at the reception desk. We waited for an hour for someone to show up and then decided to leave our bags downstairs in the breakfast room (Other bags were stored there) and we went out for lunch. Our room was ready when we came back, but we wasted precious time going back to the hotel.
Other than the fact that the cleaning person threw the bag with all my medicines in the garbage we had no other problems (The guy in the reception desk fished through the garbage of the day and was able to retrieve my medicines). The lady in the breakfast room was very nice.
I guess you get what you pay for, but we will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bakers Hotel

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Rooms were comfy, but lacked air conditioning which was a negative during our stay in a heat wave, the washrooms were clean and well kept, the service was great and friendly, location was perfect, only a few minute walk to Victoria Station. Breakfast was a bit lack luster but what was available was fresh and delicious, for a cheap stay in London for a few days I would recommend, but only with one to two people.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. First thing...yes...the rooms are VERY small... I had a single and could practically touch each side of the room standing in the middle. This is not a room to hang out in...but if you are in London as a tourist...it fits the bill quite nicely. The room...and hotel was clean and neat. My single had no bathroom so I had to go down one level for shared shower and toilet. They are newly remodeled and quite nice. Did not have to wait once to use the facilities. Small sink in room was great for washing up. Free Wifi was quite fast, mounted TV above door had wonderful reception, and coffee/tea in room. Breakfast we simple (toast, cereal, yogurt, juice, fruit, coffee/tea) but filling... staff in tiny breakfast room made your toast and conversed with you. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The bed was not that great... older and very little support... but I slept well all 4 nights in spite of this. Linens were clean... towel was huge! Hotel is located on a side but rather busy street. Earplugs are not a bad idea... but this was no different from several places in London where I have stayed. Location is great.... easy 6-7 minute walk to Victoria Station and Victoria Underground stop. If you don't mind things small...this is a great little spot. Would stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for lower room if you have mobility issues as steps are steep and narrow.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank umyaya
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Just returned from few days in London to go to the Chelsea flower show and stayed at Bakers Hotel in Warwick Way which is just around the corner from Victoria Station. Everything was spotlessly clean and the staff were very helpful and accommodating. Breakfasts were simple but nourishing with the staff around to help. Would certainly stay there again. Only downside was the weather

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Even at 79 bps for a "triple" room- meaning 2 single beds and 1 double bed- I would not recommend this hotel. That room with 3 beds would easily fit in any double room I've stayed in, even in Europe. If you stay on the top floor as we did, the paltry breakfast is a steep, narrow 5 floor walk-down. And I do mean paltry breakfast. It is served in a space that is incredibly tiny, so if even 6 other people are there, you asked to come back later (and not offered a measly piece of toast or bowl of cereal to take back with you). If we had been staying there longer than a night, we would have been severely disappointed.

The bathroom was nice, despite being another long flight of stairs down from the room. I was fortunate not to have any traffic issues with that. I did have traffic issues leaving the room, however, as the 2 rooms on the top floor share a doorstep so small that a large suitcase won't fit on it. So if you are entering or leaving your room at the same time as your neighbor, you will have quite a traffic jam.

The location is fine.

The kid who checked us in was neither particularly competent nor polite. The kid who checked us out got much higher marks on both counts. The girl in the breakfast room was competent enough to tell me I couldn't have breakfast because the closet they serve it in was full. I had to make a special request for a cup of tea to take the 5 flights back up to my room.

In hindsight, I understand why this is the only room we could get on short notice out of the 20 or so hotels we checked under 200 bps/night.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I only stayed here for one night on my last night in London. It was cheap, in a really convenient location (walking distance to the Victoria Station), and included free breakfast and free Wifi, so it met my needs. I had no issue with the size, I understand that's just what you get with budget hotels in London. The only issue I had was the bathroom was a bit dodgy, the showerhead didn't seem to fit properly so water sprayed everywhere, and the bathroom door didn't shut. But other than that, it was fine.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I booked this hotel based on a Rick Steve’s recommendation. I have stayed at countless Rick Steve’s recommendations, and never been disappointed before, but unfortunately, this time I was.

The main reason I choose to stay at this hotel was because the rate was the best I could find on short notice, and it was convenient to Victoria Station. The Cherry Court Hotel was also available, but slightly more (by 5 pounds). They seemed comparable, so I decided to save myself 5 pounds a night.

Unfortunately, I found my stay at Baker’s very disappointing, and in retrospect, wish I had just paid an extra 5 pounds a night, and stayed at Cherry Court Hotel which is much better rated than Baker’s Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I stayed in a single room (Room #10), with an outside toilet/shower on either the 1st or 2nd floor. While the hotel itself seemed clean enough (I did not experience some of the complaints of dirty sheets that other reviewers complained about), the hotel definitely has a worn out feel to it. The carpet is worn, somewhat dusty, and the walls are scuffed. But besides that, it was decently well kept. The sink in the room was clean, and the sheets were clean.

The single room was just big enough for a twin bed and a narrow pathway between the wall and the bed. There really wasn’t much room to maneuver, and I would imagine it would be uncomfortable for someone who is not petite. The most disappointing aspect of my stay was the mattress. It was incredibly soft and you could feel the springs. Fortunately, I am not that sensitive, but I would imagine this would be a problem for people who might have back problems.

The walls are paper thin, and you can hear your neighbors, and their conversation. If they are up late, or early (like mine were), you will be up with them. The bathroom for the room is outside the room, two floors down, which is somewhat inconvenient. Also, they only have two bathrooms on the outside, which did not seem to be quite enough. There was often a line. I have to say though, the bathroom itself were the highlight of the hotel. They were large, new looking, clean, and had hot water at a decent pressure level.

As for the other amenities, there is definitely nothing to write home about. Another down side of being on the third floor is that the wi-fi signal is very low, and I often had trouble getting on line. When I sat on the stairs on the ground floor to try and get online, the hotel clerk gave me a hard time.

Breakfast was a disappointment as well. It is a simple breakfast with some toast, processed cheese slices, yogurt, cereal and instant coffee. After the first morning, I ended up skipping breakfast altogether.

Overall, I suppose you get what you pay for, but for just slightly more, it seems like the other hotels in the area would be a better choice. The accommodations aren’t great, breakfast isn’t substantial, and the service was not great either. Also, I did not find the people at the hotel to friendly at all. If you have another choice, I recommend you stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo