“Great Hospitality and Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bakers Hotel

Bakers Hotel
Ranked #967 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Mount Uniacke, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Great Hospitality and Location”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Rooms were comfy, but lacked air conditioning which was a negative during our stay in a heat wave, the washrooms were clean and well kept, the service was great and friendly, location was perfect, only a few minute walk to Victoria Station. Breakfast was a bit lack luster but what was available was fresh and delicious, for a cheap stay in London for a few days I would recommend, but only with one to two people.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
Minnesota
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. First thing...yes...the rooms are VERY small... I had a single and could practically touch each side of the room standing in the middle. This is not a room to hang out in...but if you are in London as a tourist...it fits the bill quite nicely. The room...and hotel was clean and neat. My single had no bathroom so I had to go down one level for shared shower and toilet. They are newly remodeled and quite nice. Did not have to wait once to use the facilities. Small sink in room was great for washing up. Free Wifi was quite fast, mounted TV above door had wonderful reception, and coffee/tea in room. Breakfast we simple (toast, cereal, yogurt, juice, fruit, coffee/tea) but filling... staff in tiny breakfast room made your toast and conversed with you. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The bed was not that great... older and very little support... but I slept well all 4 nights in spite of this. Linens were clean... towel was huge! Hotel is located on a side but rather busy street. Earplugs are not a bad idea... but this was no different from several places in London where I have stayed. Location is great.... easy 6-7 minute walk to Victoria Station and Victoria Underground stop. If you don't mind things small...this is a great little spot. Would stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for lower room if you have mobility issues as steps are steep and narrow.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank umyaya
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Just returned from few days in London to go to the Chelsea flower show and stayed at Bakers Hotel in Warwick Way which is just around the corner from Victoria Station. Everything was spotlessly clean and the staff were very helpful and accommodating. Breakfasts were simple but nourishing with the staff around to help. Would certainly stay there again. Only downside was the weather

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Even at 79 bps for a "triple" room- meaning 2 single beds and 1 double bed- I would not recommend this hotel. That room with 3 beds would easily fit in any double room I've stayed in, even in Europe. If you stay on the top floor as we did, the paltry breakfast is a steep, narrow 5 floor walk-down. And I do mean paltry breakfast. It is served in a space that is incredibly tiny, so if even 6 other people are there, you asked to come back later (and not offered a measly piece of toast or bowl of cereal to take back with you). If we had been staying there longer than a night, we would have been severely disappointed.

The bathroom was nice, despite being another long flight of stairs down from the room. I was fortunate not to have any traffic issues with that. I did have traffic issues leaving the room, however, as the 2 rooms on the top floor share a doorstep so small that a large suitcase won't fit on it. So if you are entering or leaving your room at the same time as your neighbor, you will have quite a traffic jam.

The location is fine.

The kid who checked us in was neither particularly competent nor polite. The kid who checked us out got much higher marks on both counts. The girl in the breakfast room was competent enough to tell me I couldn't have breakfast because the closet they serve it in was full. I had to make a special request for a cup of tea to take the 5 flights back up to my room.

In hindsight, I understand why this is the only room we could get on short notice out of the 20 or so hotels we checked under 200 bps/night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I only stayed here for one night on my last night in London. It was cheap, in a really convenient location (walking distance to the Victoria Station), and included free breakfast and free Wifi, so it met my needs. I had no issue with the size, I understand that's just what you get with budget hotels in London. The only issue I had was the bathroom was a bit dodgy, the showerhead didn't seem to fit properly so water sprayed everywhere, and the bathroom door didn't shut. But other than that, it was fine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I booked this hotel based on a Rick Steve’s recommendation. I have stayed at countless Rick Steve’s recommendations, and never been disappointed before, but unfortunately, this time I was.

The main reason I choose to stay at this hotel was because the rate was the best I could find on short notice, and it was convenient to Victoria Station. The Cherry Court Hotel was also available, but slightly more (by 5 pounds). They seemed comparable, so I decided to save myself 5 pounds a night.

Unfortunately, I found my stay at Baker’s very disappointing, and in retrospect, wish I had just paid an extra 5 pounds a night, and stayed at Cherry Court Hotel which is much better rated than Baker’s Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I stayed in a single room (Room #10), with an outside toilet/shower on either the 1st or 2nd floor. While the hotel itself seemed clean enough (I did not experience some of the complaints of dirty sheets that other reviewers complained about), the hotel definitely has a worn out feel to it. The carpet is worn, somewhat dusty, and the walls are scuffed. But besides that, it was decently well kept. The sink in the room was clean, and the sheets were clean.

The single room was just big enough for a twin bed and a narrow pathway between the wall and the bed. There really wasn’t much room to maneuver, and I would imagine it would be uncomfortable for someone who is not petite. The most disappointing aspect of my stay was the mattress. It was incredibly soft and you could feel the springs. Fortunately, I am not that sensitive, but I would imagine this would be a problem for people who might have back problems.

The walls are paper thin, and you can hear your neighbors, and their conversation. If they are up late, or early (like mine were), you will be up with them. The bathroom for the room is outside the room, two floors down, which is somewhat inconvenient. Also, they only have two bathrooms on the outside, which did not seem to be quite enough. There was often a line. I have to say though, the bathroom itself were the highlight of the hotel. They were large, new looking, clean, and had hot water at a decent pressure level.

As for the other amenities, there is definitely nothing to write home about. Another down side of being on the third floor is that the wi-fi signal is very low, and I often had trouble getting on line. When I sat on the stairs on the ground floor to try and get online, the hotel clerk gave me a hard time.

Breakfast was a disappointment as well. It is a simple breakfast with some toast, processed cheese slices, yogurt, cereal and instant coffee. After the first morning, I ended up skipping breakfast altogether.

Overall, I suppose you get what you pay for, but for just slightly more, it seems like the other hotels in the area would be a better choice. The accommodations aren’t great, breakfast isn’t substantial, and the service was not great either. Also, I did not find the people at the hotel to friendly at all. If you have another choice, I recommend you stay somewhere else!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Bemmybear
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Firstly, if you want a spacious hotel room in London...your will pay about $400 a night. If you want something more thrifty, this hotel is ok. Stayed here for 4 days prior to embarking on a trans-Atlantic cruise. For London, the price was good. Room was very small but that is the general rule if you want a budget room in London. Breakfast was adequate. No hot stuff prepared. Restaurants & Pubs are nearby. Ate in a fish restaurant closeby (dont remember the name) but it was excellent. Several coffee shops I. E. "Starbucks." A Sainsbury supermarket is close by. Hotel is about 5oo yards South of Victoria Station or 300 yards East of Victoria Coach Station. We landed at Heathrow then took the National Express bus to Victoria Coach station. Cost was very minimal. Don't remember exactly but it was very cheap compared to other means of transport. Hotel was a very easy walk from coach station. Many small mom & pop type 7-11's in the area. Some sell souvenirs which we bought. Many similar type hotels in the area. Seems to be a popular hotel area for folks about to embark on cruise ships at Southhampton. We saw several people on the ship that we saw in the fish restaurant or walking near the hotel. Overall, it is a good value for the money for London. Fish restaurant might be the "Blue Wave." Got there before 2pm but this was clearly posted on the "booking.com website so we were aware of it. Left luggage, then went to a local coffee shop of a coffee & pastry. Came back after 2pm and there was no problems. I have read other peoples review of Bakers but they don't know how expensive London is and they expect to get a spacious hotel like back home. But in London but that is not going to happen. Bakers hotel is a good value for a short stay and i live in Las Vegas so I know a thing or two about hotels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family